BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

381 - 384 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
As I mentioned way back when, I purchased some 3D-printed brackets from a German enthusiast. While they did resolve a few of the issues mentioned above, they have not withstood the test of time very well. The mounting screw holes are stripped, even with careful tightening. The plastic has warped badly with summer heat and each one is cracked. Better than the metal brackets, but still unacceptable in my opinion. The guy who produces these is no longer willing to ship to the US, but they are available from the iBus app store. I would not recommend them, but if you already have an Xtrons I suppose this is the best option currently available.
Looks like there is now a "aluminum made" brackets.

Regardless though (coming from someone that has tried both), the Avin is still a better choice over Xtrons head unit?

What makes the Avant 4 unique is: t's designed to use the OE BMW aluminum navigation mount, which all US-Spec M5 have. I have this installed now and I'm very pleased with the fit. It's very secure and the reinstallation of the OE bracket has also restored support to both the upper and lower dash pieces. The lack of an optical drive also means this fits the E39 much better. No interference issues with the HVAC box and plenty of room for all the adapters, etc.
Not having in-dash CD slot, approaching year 2020, is that even a factor? This is where i'm stuck on.

Wireless Carplay works like a champ, I'm very impressed so far. The Resler interface connection is integrated into the AVIN adapter harness, so no splicing or soldering required.

If you're in the market for an Android device, the Avant 4 is absolutely the way to go, particularly if you're starting with a Nav-equipped E39. At this point, I see no reason to bother with an Xtrons, Eonon, etc. Just order the AVIN and be done with it. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all, my installed Xtron is running great.

Only having a issue regarding sleep/shutdown. Normally the system wakes up very fast, even after a couple of days not using the car.
But since a couple of weeks, system shuts down after a while.
When using the car the next day, system shows the Android logo , then BMW logo en then finally the homepage.
No idea why.
To be sure it was not software related, i upgraded my Android 8 Hal9K to Android 9, but still the same. After not using the car for a period , system shuts down instead of going to sleep.

This issue brings me to next thing I would like to use. And that starting my Android unit right after I unlock the car.
I know that the iBusapp talks about this feature, but unfortunately my German is not that great, and translating from the wiki page does not help me much.

Wonder if anybody already done this? Start the Android unit as soon as you unlock the car!.
Interieur light goes on so i guess it should not be that difficult....

·
1,910 Posts
Old post I know, but just wanted to add my appreciation for your doing this. Nav and radio have both died in my E39 so it's the perfect time to do this I think. Especially as half the interior has to come out for some rust to get sorted anyway...

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
I'd also like to thank everyone for the great information in this thread. Having now completed (with the exception of the reverse camera) my install, I'm thrilled.

The last tidbit of wisdom, along with a couple of key words:
If you have poor radio reception with an aftermarket radio, after removing your factory tuner, it is because your diversity antenna amplifier is no longer receiving power. It turns out that unlike every other device in the vehicle that are triggered directly from the unloader relay (screen, radio, amplifier, CD changer, etc - all triggered by the unloader relay), the diversity antenna amplifier is triggered by the radio. Can't fathom why, but the solution, once your factory radio is removed, is to connect pins 13 and 16 of the harness.

If you've run the 6M cable from the front to the rear (which I didn't since I couldn't get the damn cable) then this is probably taken care of. Otherwise, in an E39, you need to connect the unloader relay (pin 16) to the antenna power (pin 13).

Okay, one more tidbit - the stock launchers on the PX5 radios are terrible. AGAMA is very good and so is Nova Launcher. Each has a very different look - Nova is more like a standard tablet, so little/no learning curve, while AGAMA is clearly geared toward an automotive environment through app placement and interaction. I'm evaluating FCC Car Launcher tomorrow. Regardless, lose the stock launcher.

Doug

381 - 384 of 384 Posts