BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
381 - 397 of 397 Posts
As I mentioned way back when, I purchased some 3D-printed brackets from a German enthusiast. While they did resolve a few of the issues mentioned above, they have not withstood the test of time very well. The mounting screw holes are stripped, even with careful tightening. The plastic has warped badly with summer heat and each one is cracked. Better than the metal brackets, but still unacceptable in my opinion. The guy who produces these is no longer willing to ship to the US, but they are available from the iBus app store. I would not recommend them, but if you already have an Xtrons I suppose this is the best option currently available.
Looks like there is now a "aluminum made" brackets.

Regardless though (coming from someone that has tried both), the Avin is still a better choice over Xtrons head unit?

What makes the Avant 4 unique is: t's designed to use the OE BMW aluminum navigation mount, which all US-Spec M5 have. I have this installed now and I'm very pleased with the fit. It's very secure and the reinstallation of the OE bracket has also restored support to both the upper and lower dash pieces. The lack of an optical drive also means this fits the E39 much better. No interference issues with the HVAC box and plenty of room for all the adapters, etc.
Not having in-dash CD slot, approaching year 2020, is that even a factor? This is where i'm stuck on.

Wireless Carplay works like a champ, I'm very impressed so far. The Resler interface connection is integrated into the AVIN adapter harness, so no splicing or soldering required.

If you're in the market for an Android device, the Avant 4 is absolutely the way to go, particularly if you're starting with a Nav-equipped E39. At this point, I see no reason to bother with an Xtrons, Eonon, etc. Just order the AVIN and be done with it. :)

First of all, my installed Xtron is running great.

Only having a issue regarding sleep/shutdown. Normally the system wakes up very fast, even after a couple of days not using the car.
But since a couple of weeks, system shuts down after a while.
When using the car the next day, system shows the Android logo , then BMW logo en then finally the homepage.
No idea why.
To be sure it was not software related, i upgraded my Android 8 Hal9K to Android 9, but still the same. After not using the car for a period , system shuts down instead of going to sleep.

This issue brings me to next thing I would like to use. And that starting my Android unit right after I unlock the car.
I know that the iBusapp talks about this feature, but unfortunately my German is not that great, and translating from the wiki page does not help me much.

Wonder if anybody already done this? Start the Android unit as soon as you unlock the car!.
Interieur light goes on so i guess it should not be that difficult....

Old post I know, but just wanted to add my appreciation for your doing this. Nav and radio have both died in my E39 so it's the perfect time to do this I think. Especially as half the interior has to come out for some rust to get sorted anyway...

I'd also like to thank everyone for the great information in this thread. Having now completed (with the exception of the reverse camera) my install, I'm thrilled.

The last tidbit of wisdom, along with a couple of key words:
If you have poor radio reception with an aftermarket radio, after removing your factory tuner, it is because your diversity antenna amplifier is no longer receiving power. It turns out that unlike every other device in the vehicle that are triggered directly from the unloader relay (screen, radio, amplifier, CD changer, etc - all triggered by the unloader relay), the diversity antenna amplifier is triggered by the radio. Can't fathom why, but the solution, once your factory radio is removed, is to connect pins 13 and 16 of the harness.

If you've run the 6M cable from the front to the rear (which I didn't since I couldn't get the damn cable) then this is probably taken care of. Otherwise, in an E39, you need to connect the unloader relay (pin 16) to the antenna power (pin 13).

Okay, one more tidbit - the stock launchers on the PX5 radios are terrible. AGAMA is very good and so is Nova Launcher. Each has a very different look - Nova is more like a standard tablet, so little/no learning curve, while AGAMA is clearly geared toward an automotive environment through app placement and interaction. I'm evaluating FCC Car Launcher tomorrow. Regardless, lose the stock launcher.

Doug

They're completely different things. Bluebus is an easier install and uses the stock head unit. So $225 OTD if you just want BT audio and new features on the stock HU.

If you want a new HU to get a touchscreen, Carplay, apps, etc. you'll have to go the Resler route.

Oh I totally get it.
The way I look at it though.
I'm thinking of mounting a tablet and simply connecting it to bluebus via Bluetooth.
It will be cheaper and higher quality than those questionable Chinese units.

What do people think of this?
I already figured out a way to mount the tablet so it looks good but wanted to see what people of of tablet + bluebus vs android head unit

Well I'll provide my opinion - for an M5 I didn't really want a tablet, I want to focus on the car. I wanted something that looked OEM and did the bare minimum for good Bluetooth sound and modern connectivity for long road trips. For that you want a Chinese head unit. Wiring it up is a pain, and as I mentioned in a previous comment in this thread if you go this route I cannot suggest Wago Lever-Nuts enough for the various wiring. I got the Xtrons but I think the Alvin is 100% the way to go between Carplay, the specs, and a better mounting brackets.

If you're more of a tech person and want to bring the car into this decade, and also don't want to run as many wires, Bluebus or bust.

Thanks! After considering costs and reliability, I decided to get bluebus. It's only $225. Way lower than the Chinese units with questionable quality of components, support and reliability. And all the extra works and buying different extra components to get it to work.

Chinese HU is around 300-400$
HU adapter is 20 euros

Rezler module 55 euros

Ibus app 22 euros
I would probably need some extra stuff

Of course I'm not factoring in the price of a tablet as many people have one.
And in either case, you can buy a better quality tablet for the price of an android headunit and be certain that it uses high quality electronics and has support of companies like Samsung etc.

So. Having bought an Avin 4 with almost all the bells and whistles, paid through the nose to get it imported to the UK and paid extra for them to send me the part of the loom they'd forgotten the first time (customs fees)...

..I can't reccomend avoiding them enough.

The product could be brilliant with a few years more development and a whole heap more quality control.

Their customer service is appalling.

In short, I bought an Avin 4 with:
Reversing camera
DAB
Navigation
Dashcam
iBus integration
OBD Integration
Wireless carplay

The reversing camera didn't work
DAB worked but was poorly implemented (an app that you needed to start so you couldn't choose it on the mode button)
Navigation never worked
Dashcam worked for 5 minutes
iBus worked
OBD integratio never worked
Wireless carplay was flaky as anything.

I took it all back out, replaced it with the OEM system and Intravee/Alpine DAB and it works a treat.

Seriously, use twenty dollar bills to polish your seats ar wipe the dipstick. It'll be cheaper and more rewarding.

Parts List:

XTRONS PB7639BP - $289.99
XTRONS EXL005 - 6m Extension Cable - $49.99 – Required if you have factory Navigation
XTRONS OBD02 - Bluetooth OBD2 adapter - $12.99
XTRONS DVR015 - DVR Camera - $29.99
6m FAKRA Radio Antenna Extension - $20.35 shipped from Germany LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antennen-V...hash=item19d335e66c:m:mLZqV8dJ1L10DTnhjisdZRg
6m FAKRA GPS Antenna Extension - $12 shipped from China LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-SMB-C-5005-jack-plug-right-angle-RG174-cable-GPS-Telematics-Navigation-6/362003156856?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 Send this guy a message and tell him you need a 6 meter cable and he’ll custom make one for you.
Resler Interface - $38 shipped from Germany LINK: IBUS Interface for BMW cars
iBus application license - $31 online LINK: BMW IBUS App
BMW iBus connector parts - $6

DISCLAIMER This is a relatively complex installation, so be sure you have researched appropriately before you start and be realistic about your own DIY capabilities. If the idea of taking your car’s interior apart scares you, this entire project isn’t for you. If you blow your car up and/or burn down your house, it’s not my fault. Should anything else bad happen – also not my fault.
If the idea of planning every detail, ordering parts from all over the world, and putting it all together doesn’t sound like a fun challenge – this is probably not a project for you. I’ll admit that it takes a special kind of moron to find this appealing. 

INSTALLATION:

I’m going to cover the high points of the installation only, this is not meant to be a step-by-step how-to, but should hopefully give you some pointers and help you avoid any major pitfalls. You should plan on a long day to get this done, maybe even a weekend if you’re planning a big install.

Basic Steps:

• You must Recode your DSP amp using NCS Expert. Change the BEDIENELEMENTE parameter from “bordmonitor” to “mid_basis”
  • Run 6m radio extension harness, radio antenna extension, & GPS antenna extension from the trunk to the dash area
  • Keep in mind that the 90-degree ends of the antenna extensions plug into the head unit
  • Remove the 16:9 OBM. The CD changer, Radio, & Nav unit can optionally be removed (or at the very least least unplugged)
  • Remove the factory 16:9 navigation bracket, which requires dropping the lower dash & glovebox down several inches.
  • Run the extension cables while you have the dash lowered
  • Run any optional cables (DVR, Microphone, Backup Camera, USB cables, etc) to their correct locations
  • Tap into the iBus network and attach the Resler USB interface to one of the USB inputs on the Xtrons
  • Install the Xtrons mounting brackets (see below)

Parts List:

XTRONS PB7639BP - $289.99
XTRONS EXL005 - 6m Extension Cable - $49.99 – Required if you have factory Navigation
XTRONS OBD02 - Bluetooth OBD2 adapter - $12.99
XTRONS DVR015 - DVR Camera - $29.99
6m FAKRA Radio Antenna Extension - $20.35 shipped from Germany LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antennen-V...hash=item19d335e66c:m:mLZqV8dJ1L10DTnhjisdZRg
6m FAKRA GPS Antenna Extension - $12 shipped from China LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-SMB-C-5005-jack-plug-right-angle-RG174-cable-GPS-Telematics-Navigation-6/362003156856?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 Send this guy a message and tell him you need a 6 meter cable and he’ll custom make one for you.
Resler Interface - $38 shipped from Germany LINK: IBUS Interface for BMW cars
iBus application license - $31 online LINK: BMW IBUS App
BMW iBus connector parts - $6

DISCLAIMER This is a relatively complex installation, so be sure you have researched appropriately before you start and be realistic about your own DIY capabilities. If the idea of taking your car’s interior apart scares you, this entire project isn’t for you. If you blow your car up and/or burn down your house, it’s not my fault. Should anything else bad happen – also not my fault.
If the idea of planning every detail, ordering parts from all over the world, and putting it all together doesn’t sound like a fun challenge – this is probably not a project for you. I’ll admit that it takes a special kind of moron to find this appealing. 

INSTALLATION:

I’m going to cover the high points of the installation only, this is not meant to be a step-by-step how-to, but should hopefully give you some pointers and help you avoid any major pitfalls. You should plan on a long day to get this done, maybe even a weekend if you’re planning a big install.

Basic Steps:

• You must Recode your DSP amp using NCS Expert. Change the BEDIENELEMENTE parameter from “bordmonitor” to “mid_basis”
  • Run 6m radio extension harness, radio antenna extension, & GPS antenna extension from the trunk to the dash area
  • Keep in mind that the 90-degree ends of the antenna extensions plug into the head unit
  • Remove the 16:9 OBM. The CD changer, Radio, & Nav unit can optionally be removed (or at the very least least unplugged)
  • Remove the factory 16:9 navigation bracket, which requires dropping the lower dash & glovebox down several inches.
  • Run the extension cables while you have the dash lowered
  • Run any optional cables (DVR, Microphone, Backup Camera, USB cables, etc) to their correct locations
  • Tap into the iBus network and attach the Resler USB interface to one of the USB inputs on the Xtrons
  • Install the Xtrons mounting brackets (see below)

please help me i have a mw e39 with dsp after
Xtrons PB7639BP Android Head Unit Installation

So, it’s 2018 and it’s time for an audio/tech upgrade in your E39 M5? Let’s look at our options:

- Bluetooth add-on device (Mediabridge, Grom Audio, etc): These are a great way to add Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) and handsfree calling to your E39. They are relatively cheap & easy to install, do a decent job at providing the basics, and allow you to retain your stock OBC functionality. However, they do require deletion of your CD changer (do people still use CDs?) and typically have some iffy functionality constraints due to the way they connect to the car. This also requires that all of your stock audio hardware is functional

- Intravee II + Alpine iPod module: This device was way ahead of its time and was at one point the gold standard for adding functionality to the BMW audio & iBus systems. Unfortunately, lack of updates have made this option somewhat obsolete and relatively expensive for what little functionality it provides.

- Dynavin N6/N7: Dynavin led the way with plug-and-play DSP integration in 2014. Unfortunately, they’ve done very little innovation since. I could go on and on, but I’ll leave it at this – I owned a N6 for a long time and I’m not a fan, given the price point – particularly considering the $300 Apple Carplay add-on module, which makes the Dynavin a $1000+ investment

- BMW NBT Retrofit: This is as good as it gets. It’s quite literally installing the entire audio/tech package from a new BMW into your E39. As you’d expect, it’s luxury-car nice and very refined. Unfortunately, it’ll run you $2000-$2500, requires some custom parts be fabricated for install, and is not something you can expect your local audio shop to install for you.

None of these seem right for you? What if you could retain the OBC, retain your DSP, and add features to your car via the iBus – with one device?

That leaves us one more choice: Generically-speaking, the “Chinese-built Android Head Unit”

Yeah, yeah, I know how that sounds. I know what you’re thinking, because I thought the same thing. Then I did a little research.

It turns out that the majority of these Android head units use the same hardware behind the fascia. Whether you have a BMW or a VW, it’s most likely a MTCD-manufactured board under the skin and that means they have made LOTS of these for the global market. The E39 is just a small sliver of the overall market for these parts and quality control appears to be relatively good. It also means there’s tons of support out there, even if it’s not necessarily BMW-specific (see xda-develeopers).

There’s also no shortage of brands out there to choose from, and chances are you won’t recognize a single one of the names in this market. Take a look on aliexpress and search for “E39 Android” and prepare to be overwhelmed. But, if they’re all essentially manufactured from the same base parts, does it matter which brand you buy? I believe it boils down to the support from the manufacturer and moreso the enthusiast community.

In my research, one brand kept floating to the top – Xtrons. I had seen a couple positive threads about Xtrons on M3forum, but aside from that I had never heard of them. It turns out they are very successful with the European BMW community due to the quality of the product, their support, and the fact that they have a UK-based warehouse (which I believe avoids customs fees when importing to the EU).

I decided to take the plunge and order a Xtrons PB7639BP head unit, running Android 6.0. At $289 shipped direct from Xtrons (via Amazon), it seemed like a manageable gamble. With some required and optional add-ons, I’m sitting around $485 total investment

Amazon.com: XTRONS Octa-Core 64Bit 2G RAM 32GB ROM 7 Inch Capacitive Touch Screen Car Stereo Radio DVD Player GPS CANbus Screen Mirroring Function OBD2 Tire Pressure Monitoring for BMW 5 Series E39 E53 X5

*note – Xtrons has very recently replaced the model above with the PB7839BP, which has more RAM and runs Android 8.0. I haven't used on myself (yet), but they should be very similar and the majority of this information should still apply

https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Andro...=UTF8&qid=1517971849&sr=8-1&keywords=PB7839BP

Xtrons also does manufacture a 9” screen model (with no physical buttons) which is essentially the same internally as the model above. Be aware that the 9" is currently only produced as E53 fitment, so the curve of the unit does not match the E39 dash very well.

I have a bmw E39 with dsp AMP. Then I installed an Android radio setup. I mean everything is working fine initially but then sound is lost in like 15-20 mins. Then I have to restart the setup by switching off and switching on the car. Then it works for another 15-20 mins. I even coded like you said but it's still not working. Can you please give me some instructions. Thank you

please help me i have a mw e39 with dsp after

I have a bmw E39 with dsp AMP. Then I installed an Android radio setup. I mean everything is working fine initially but then sound is lost in like 15-20 mins. Then I have to restart the setup by switching off and switching on the car. Then it works for another 15-20 mins. I even coded like you said but it's still not working. Can you please give me some instructions. Thank you
Hi,

You need to make sure that the 'android radio setup' you purchased is one that's capable of connecting to the OEM DSP amp by using the Resler Interface & the iBus App. Not 'all' chinese replacement type head units are capable. If you find that your unit can work with those, you'll need to connect it up correctly and set it up, so you'll need to look through posts here and other forums to see how that's done. You'll also need to ensure your DSP amp itself is fully functional and working. The 'symptom' you have suggests it is working as you get sound and then is cuts off - the reason for that is it's not recieving the 'signal' to remain switched on.

An alternative is to ditch the DSP amp and speakers, and connect new, better performing after market speakers either directly to the head unit or, via the RCA outputs and connected to an amplifier.

It's also possible the head unit you have is faulty too, so you've got plenty of fault finding to do here, good luck with it all!

Cheers, Dennis!

Ok, so I seem to have just about everything working (except the radio since I'm still waiting on the antennae extension), but I do have one small issue: is there any way to have the ibus app automatically start up when the unit is powered on? As it sits I need to manually click on the app or widget in order to open up the ibus app and get the DSP/any sound. Thanks again for all the help here guys!
Obviously it’s been a while, but did you ever get the iBus app to launch each time you start the car? I have the same issues. When I reboot the unit after disconnecting the battery the ibus app will start but each subsequent restart of the engine (or just waking the Avin Avant 4) it will not start up. I even get the little ibus logo saying USB Ready but nothing. I don’t like the canbus box so prefer to use ibus app for volume and other steering buttons and it works flawlessly for this once I manually tap the app to open it. I have settings enabled to start upon usb detection. I haven’t tried switching the Resler unit to a different USB port but I know it works fine as-is once I start the app.

@kd7iwp, Yes it autolaunches every time now but, er, I really don't remember exactly what I did to fix it. I know there's an option in the ibus app itself to autolanch (and then also autolaunch any other apps; I have it start up headunit reloaded for me for AA), and I also want to say my original issue was just a bug with that old ibus version that went away with the next update, but couldn't swear to that part.

381 - 397 of 397 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.