BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
On the xtrons, does anyone else have very low music volume over bluetooth but loud notification volume? When i listen to FM radio I have the volume around 12 but for bluetooth I need it around 20.

Also, what does everyone think is the best way to use waze in the unit? Turn on mobile wifi on your phone? Any other way to connect your phone?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is it possible to use a USB hub with any of these head units? The Xtrons one that I'm looking at has 3 USB connections but I'm looking at 4 USB devices:
DAB tuner
iphone
dash cam
ibus interface

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Okay, after a long hiatus of not finding time I ripped my vehicle apart last weekend. Besides being pissed off about some of the work the previous installer did I'm in an okay mood with the entirely disassembled state of my car, but would like to get it back assembled before I die of old age. I've re-read things, but only have time to do this once so I would like to confirm my wiring.

I did NOT run the extension harness from the trunk, so now I'm dealing with the stupid connector and lack of instructions that came with the XTron. I'm running a pretty basic install with 6 RCA's to the trunk since I haven't had DSP in years. What I'm trying to determine is which of the various wires in the pair of quadlock connectors are Inputs to the Xtrons and which are Outputs from it. The directions are entirely vague and useless on this point, so before I let the smoke out of anything, I'm hoping one of you can confirm the following proposed wiring:

Main Connector Harness 1A (see attachment):
A1-A8 Speaker <> Nothing: Irrelevant to my particular install since I'm running RCA's. Presumably these are the outputs to the 4 channels that the Xtrons can drive
A9 CANBUS <> Pin 6 of the Blue X18801 Bordmonitor harness that provides I/K Bus
A12 Ground <> Pin 2 of the Blue X18801 Bordmonitor harness that provides Ground
A13 Amplifier Control/A16 ACC <> I have no idea. Looks like these should go to Pin 1 of the Blue X18801 Bordmonitor harness that provides Illumination Control? or possibly the HVAC Consumer Shutdown wire?
A14 Big Light Control <> Also Pin for Illumination Control?
A15 12V <> Pin 7 of the Blue X18801 Bordmonitor harness that provides 12V Constant

Harness 1B (see attachment):
Appears I can re-purpose this entire harness for my Ressler interface according to previous posts

I know, I should run new power wires, but since they are fuse protected I'm not concerned and still have to run my rearview camera later - I'll run them then if need be.

Do I understand the wiring properly? The Amplifier Control (which I assume is an Output to turn my amp on/off), the Big Light Control, and the ACC (which I assume is an input that tells the radio to turn on) are throwing me off, especially in light of this wiki that implies one of those (but not which one) should be tied to the HVAC "Consumer Shutdown" wire to turn the radio on/off automatically. Feels like it would be A13/16...

If anyone has a real set of instructions for these things please let me know. Otherwise I'll post back with what I find.

Thanks,
Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
have you seen this graphic? https://wiki.ibus-app.de/index.php?title=Radio_auf_Verbraucherabschaltung_umklemmen#/media/File:VA_Key2.jpg Let me know if you need a translation.

I'm in the process of installing an Xtrons radio (PE9853BIPL) in a 2005 X5 4.8is with Nav and DSP. I'm using the Ressler iBus USB interface as well as the Xtrons supplied CAN bus interface that comes in their extension lead so my install is much more plug and pray than yours. I've done a bench test and am waiting on just the GPS extension cable before doing the actual install.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
have you seen this graphic? https://wiki.ibus-app.de/index.php?title=Radio_auf_Verbraucherabschaltung_umklemmen#/media/File:VA_Key2.jpg Let me know if you need a translation.

I'm in the process of installing an Xtrons radio (PE9853BIPL) in a 2005 X5 4.8is with Nav and DSP. I'm using the Ressler iBus USB interface as well as the Xtrons supplied CAN bus interface that comes in their extension lead so my install is much more plug and pray than yours. I've done a bench test and am waiting on just the GPS extension cable before doing the actual install.
I have seen that, but I don't read or speak German, so Absolutely Yes, if you wouldn't mind translating it to a BMW English set of terminology I would be very appreciative! I've been using all the different documents I can find online and as I noted, I don't really understand what any of the words in there mean so I can't relate them to WDS to figure out which harness I can get wiring from.

Really appreciate the offer of help!

Doug

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
A13 Amplifier Control/A16 ACC <> I have no idea. Looks like these should go to Pin 1 of the Blue X18801 Bordmonitor harness that provides Illumination Control? or possibly the HVAC Consumer Shutdown wire?
A14 Big Light Control <> Also Pin for Illumination Control?
A15 12V <> Pin 7 of the Blue X18801 Bordmonitor harness that provides 12V Constant
Okay, I think I answered one of my own questions from WhiteWolf: A13/16 goes to the Accessory wire to provide switched power to the CANbus box and Ressler, while Pin 14 ACC of the Radio Harness gets connected to the Consumer Shutdown wire.

Which still leaves me with the question: What is connected to the A14 Big Light Control when one uses the extension harness?

This, I think, might actually be my real question: What do the two quadlock harnesses coming out of the Radio connect to in the back when one uses the extension harness? Can anyone provide the pinouts for the EXL007 or EXL005 harness?

Doug

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here you go...

Colours
VI = violet/purple
SW = black
GR = grey
WS = white
GN = green
BL = blue
OR = orange
GE = yellow
RO = red

Words/phrases
H = hinten = rear so HR = right rear and HL = left rear
V = vorne = front so VR = front right and VL = front left
Lautsprecher = speaker
Links = left
Rechts = right
Masse = earth/ground
Dauerplus = always live/positive (12v)
MFL/MFL Tasten = steering wheel button
während der Fahrt = while driving
Rückfahrkamera Eingang = reversing camera input
Anschaltsignal = activation signal/line
Leitung = line
nicht nötig = not required
Tastenbeleuchtung = key/button lighting
Zündung = ignition
Klemme/KL = pin/terminal

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
111 Posts
on my EXL005 pin A14 goes to pin 13 on the 10x2 connector that goes into the Xtrons which is named Ill, presumable for illumination.

on my install (2005 X5 4.8is w/Nav and DSP) I will only use the larger of the two connectors on the EXL005 at the back of the car. The smaller one (with the round pins) will be unused.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
on my EXL005 pin A14 goes to pin 13 on the 10x2 connector that goes into the Xtrons which is named Ill, presumable for illumination.

on my install (2005 X5 4.8is w/Nav and DSP) I will only use the larger of the two connectors on the EXL005 at the back of the car. The smaller one (with the round pins) will be unused.
I think I love you :)

Really appreciate the help - I received some information from XTrons that I need to digest and I will post a full set of pin references and how they can be derived without the use of the extension cable for those who may want to use RCA's directly.

Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I got the quadlock extension cable from the trunk. What’s my best strategy for getting it to the head unit? I’ve heard people go through the center console. But not sure how to get the wire there and what the next steps are.

separately - I want to mount a front parking cam, but may need to mount it upside down. Is there functionality within the unit to flip the image?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I love you :)

Really appreciate the help - I received some information from XTrons that I need to digest and I will post a full set of pin references and how they can be derived without the use of the extension cable for those who may want to use RCA's directly.

Doug
No worries - happy to be able to help. 👍👍

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
So I got the quadlock extension cable from the trunk. What’s my best strategy for getting it to the head unit? I’ve heard people go through the center console. But not sure how to get the wire there and what the next steps are.

separately - I want to mount a front parking cam, but may need to mount it upside down. Is there functionality within the unit to flip the image?
I went right down the left side of the car. If you pull the trunk lining you will see where the existing wiring harness goes - follow that. Conveniently, BMW used a removable split grommet to get from the trunk to the cabin. You'll need to remove the rear seat and the outboard cushion to get at it. Remove the driver's seat, the door sills, and the B pillar trim. Shove your hand really far down through the carpet to get to the built in chanel where the existing wiring continues. Remove the trim that holds your hood release. Continue running wires through the channel and up into the foot well. From there you can remove the lower dash if you are so inclined or just try to run the wires without doing so. I removed them since it made everything much easier.

Can't help with the front cam, but you'll only want to remove the lower dash once, so decide now :)

Doug

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to post a picture of each of the connectors? I'd like to confirm my findings around the pinouts with the wiring colors in your harness vs the pictures I got from XTrons.

Specifically, I'd like to identify the wire color and position of each of the wires in each of the connectors.

Thanks!

Doug

361 - 380 of 380 Posts