Early on in the month I changed the diff input shaft seal. Whilst I was there I changed the prop intermediate bearing (and added the butyl seal), gearbox mounts, propshaft spigot bearing, handbrake cables and shoes.
Removed the EGT sensor, a relic from the early cars and made a blanking plug to seal the hole (had the car been a month younger, this would not be on the exhaust system at all). Also changed some suspension parts. Car was up in the air, what do you do!
A difficult part of this job was the exhaust system, which runs from the front to the rear in one piece and it's really heavy, especially when you're under the car.
Discovered that the handbrake cables like to corrode into the rear hub carriers but got them out in the end with a good old fashioned 'persuasion device'!
Also found that one of the gearbox mounts had completely split! Really glad that a one-piece version is in there now.
Input shaft nut marked so that it can be returned to the same position to keep the preload the same.
Gear lever carrier rear bush filled with sealant to stiffen it up a bit, it felt very weak, much better after this. This part used to be about £15, now it's closer to £70!!
I also painted the rear diffuser black, it's hardly noticeable but I think it looks better. No pictures I'm afraid.
At the end of the month, just before we were to go for a short weekend break, I decided to reverse into someone's car in the work car park! No excuse really, my fault entirely. Sorted the other person's car through a very good repairer but decided to tackle my own bumper myself (and the pot was now empty!). We managed to go for a short break with the bumper very roughly painted/patched up. It was later removed and properly painted.
Here is the car immediately after the impact, oops!
I collected all of the bits off the floor and set about to plastic weld them back together. The years of repairing motorbike fairings came in handy now
Just before adding the final two bits:
To help strengthen the repair, I added an aluminium mesh, it was melted into the plactic (that took ages!). This was on the inside of course.
Filler added to even out all the rough bits:
I spent some time preparing it after this, getting the shape spot on , there wasn't much filler left on it!
Also took my time to prep it, painted it in the garage. Result wasn't bad at all:
I cleaned up my injectors and had a tidy up of the top end a good while ago, wrote about it here:
Recent compression test, injector clean and cam timing check
Car runs better after this work and as I discovered, a bit more efficient (always welcome!).