BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Anything can be artificiallyAnything can be artificially simulated. If the brain does not know it being faked, then I think it could be acceptable, otherwise I would be disappointed, if not mad.

Sure the DCT may be adjusted to use only 1 or 1.5 clutch, then you will shorten its lifespan quickly.
Wtf is the point of DCT if it only uses 1 clutch?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just test drove few DCT fast cars...yes it is faster and smoother! But shifting at 80-mph feels like 50 in ours. It is designed for older driver with weak back :frown

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jason Plato nailed it: True car enthusiasts love the brutal shift just like our SMG :M5thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kukL5axcL1g&feature=youtu.be
***The day the SMG and DCT die, bye bye slamming sensation***:

"In a recent interview, a BMW exec indicated that the days are numbered for manual and DCT gearboxes.

Australian car blog Drive (not to be confused with The Drive), spoke with BMW M’s vice president of sales and marketing, Peter Quintus, about the future of manual and dual-clutch gearboxes and things do not look good.

Quintus says that durability concerns are the primary factor that may mean the end of three-pedal and DCT options in BMW’s most powerful models. He says that either transmission simply can’t handle the power from a long-term reliability perspective"

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
***The day the SMG and DCT die, bye bye slamming sensation***:

"In a recent interview, a BMW exec indicated that the days are numbered for manual and DCT gearboxes.

Australian car blog Drive (not to be confused with The Drive), spoke with BMW M’s vice president of sales and marketing, Peter Quintus, about the future of manual and dual-clutch gearboxes and things do not look good.

Quintus says that durability concerns are the primary factor that may mean the end of three-pedal and DCT options in BMW’s most powerful models. He says that either transmission simply can’t handle the power from a long-term reliability perspective"

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
What is wrong with the durability of a manual?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
What is wrong with the durability of a manual?
Apparently, in M cars - the newer designs, manual transmissions have a hard time handling the torque. I believe that the use of a torque converter in the automatics give them longer life - In the newer models...

BMW must be coming out with some real acceleration beasts for them to find a material difference in durability between manual and automatic to the point where they no longer put in the former.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sure seems like it will be.

I liken the feeling of a single clutch shift at high RPMs to the sight of a well-honed leg in silk stockings with garter belt. We don't know why, but there is just something that seems 'right' about it and we respond at an instinctive visceral level. It's bred in the bone.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sure seems like it will be.

I liken the feeling of a single clutch shift at high RPMs to the sight of a well-honed leg in silk stockings with garter belt. We don't know why, but there is just something that seems 'right' about it and we respond at an instinctive visceral level. It's bred in the bone.

I agree!

Perhaps if i was into track days and fast lap times id favor the dct

But im not, im passionate about driving and to me its the whole experience both audible, visual and how my body feels

I need a ferrari lol an f430 would suit me very well

·
Registered
131 Posts
Weird you brought up the Pagani. I was at the Indy car race in Texas. I spoke with the transmission mfgr there and they told me oddly they built the Pagani gearbox... And that gearbox is probably incredible, I wouldn't worry about shift times. How about engaging the next gear before you actually remove it from the previous gear? Dual clutch? No. lol. Try a streetable dogbox that doesn't have gear mesh noise like a WRC rally car... The clutch is only used from neutral into 1st. Shift times are half or less than a DCT in production cars today. Cost? lots. Prob $100k or more if you needed a new one from Pagani. I carried a single gear set over to a team that cost more than a brand new DCT box.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a good friend that has a M6 Grandcoupe. He lets me drive it quite often and from experience I have to say SMG just feels better. DCT is faster and everything but just doesn't feel as organic. I love how SMG slams into gear, you also feel way more connected to the car. Don't like the disconnected feel of the new cars even though I love how they drive and the speed of them. I'll stick with my e60. Manual or SMG is the way to go.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have a good friend that has a M6 Grandcoupe. He lets me drive it quite often and from experience I have to say SMG just feels better. DCT is faster and everything but just doesn't feel as organic. I love how SMG slams into gear, you also feel way more connected to the car. Don't like the disconnected feel of the new cars even though I love how they drive and the speed of them. I'll stick with my e60. Manual or SMG is the way to go.
Ditto as Jason Plato

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Also why the koinsenegg ( however its spelled) has a single clutch system aswell.. BMW head M guy wanted specifically the SMG because he said he didnt want a tranny that was too smooth, he wanted emotion. And liked said, SMG really makes the M5 so much more raw and i love it!
Few weeks ago I posted here mine for a trade with an SUV as wife wanted, but I pulled it out since I could not sleep. Few hours ago I took it for a spin...I shifted 3ed to 4th (SMG) quickly while pressing on the gas pedal..BANG...what a EMOTIONAL thump!...thank goodness I did not let her go!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts