BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have bad news for you: If you code out the fold, it won't solve a thing. I had the fold up function turned off all along. And even though I got the mirror re-aligned after finding it dipped like yours, I found it back out of alignment the next morning or when returning from the office in the parking lot. Oh yes. After locking it, after another approx. 12 min the car falls fully asleep and when that occurs, I discovered (by waiting for it one day) that the mirrors blipped down at that exact moment that occurred! It blips up and down, but with the pin frozen it never came back up. I strongly believe it is either a software bug or some kind of poorly managed turn off (sleep mode) transient of the mirror motor / controller, e.g. the 'puck' with the electronics that holds the mirror itself. It is controlled over a LIN (K-LINE) bus and receives continuous power.

I am not sure if you are going to find an Interlagos blue mirror at the dump. You will have to break it off @Fiftytwoeighty car. :grin
Haha, in a nutshell, our mirrors suck. ouich It just seems like an extremely complex mechanism for something that rotates 90 degrees.

I could always get any color mirror and Plasti-dip them :devil

·
Registered
15 Posts
m5 folding mirror

Could you send me the pics in your post on the m5 folding mirrors. I can't access third party hosting through my account.

I am trying to identify this spring loaded pin you make reference to.

thanks
zwgwz

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can you see the pictures I attached? The spring loaded pin is clear in my pictures, where the crack in the housing is. It shouldn't be tilted sideways like it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just came across this post on how to remedy the folding mirror issue, but unfortunately the pics are no longer available. Hoping to tackle my passenger mirror, as the issue is getting worse. Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I’ve rebuilt both of my mirrors. If your Cali or can ship them to me I can low buck fix them. Other wise I might be able to explain but I have no pictures

·
Registered
579 Posts
The key to fixing mirrors is this part.

There’s stops that the pin will hit and locate the mirror if you look you can see where this one has one stop that is rounded where the pin should stop. This part can be clocked in a different position to use the other stop that has not been rounded, like this one

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Could you fix this? I was about to list these for parts on Ebay but if you can repair them then it may be worth the investment. Driver's side is the first 2 pictures, the passenger side still works but is pending the same failure, see misalignment on last picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Could you fix this? I was about to list these for parts on Ebay but if you can repair them then it may be worth the investment. Driver's side is the first 2 pictures, the passenger side still works but is pending the same failure, see misalignment on last picture.

Only one way to find out. Lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
So I'm working on this... How do you remove the two pieces? Is that platic bit the circlip holding it in? I took it out and it's still not coming apart.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is there even a part number for this whole piece?

·
Registered
296 Posts
No part number, have to buy whole mirror. To separate top and bottom you must gently remove the clip above the spring.
Is it this plastic clip?

·
Registered
296 Posts
No part number, have to buy whole mirror. To separate top and bottom you must gently remove the clip above the spring.
Do you know if all e60 with folding mirrors have the same circle guide for the pin?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Plastic part is under the star lock washer

, it has teeth that you have to gently bend to get it off. Small pick tool will do it. That’s the best way I can explain.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, folding mirrors are all the same.
Thank you for confirming! I guess I'm going to pick and pull tomorrow! There's a lot of e39s and e90s.

·
Registered
296 Posts
E39 not the same. E90 I’ve never had apart. Let me know if they are the same. Think I’m going to look and see if realoem has a pic.
So, E90 is the same. I've pulled it apart. It must be motorized folding however. I've pulled apart both. The difference is that the E90 you must drill out the bottom as it doesn't have the same circle clip holding in the spring.

They have the same issue as well going on with the circle guide. I've decided to draw a CAD file for it and possibly ship it out to be produced.

If made is anyone interested? I was hoping to use T6 aluminum. It's definitely some type of alloy other than aluminum. I took a torch to mines which was already past its life and it melted before my aluminum filler which melts at 700. I think if changed out with this piece it'll ensure it last for a longer period.

Unless of course you're able to find the piece! I certainly can't! I couldn't find it on realoem.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts