BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can pass along the file once I've finished. But that's too long for me haha..

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would cad the base too. All the mirrors I’ve repaired I usually have to put a larger pin in the base or motor side of assembly, because the original hole is elongated. That’s why I’m thinking stainless. I’ve had the same idea, just don’t have the time or a used mirror. I’ve also tried to weld or soldier with no luck, even with alloy base rods we use for a/c fittings. Melting point of around 300-400f.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My question is this...where in God's name is the fuse that controls the up and down for both mirrors? My car has no diagram anywhere that I can find....Any idea which fuse, and where/location/amperage..anything?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would cad the base too. All the mirrors I’ve repaired I usually have to put a larger pin in the base or motor side of assembly, because the original hole is elongated. That’s why I’m thinking stainless. I’ve had the same idea, just don’t have the time or a used mirror. I’ve also tried to weld or soldier with no luck, even with alloy base rods we use for a/c fittings. Melting point of around 300-400f.
Interesting. I don't think I've come across that problem with the pin.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My question is this...where in God's name is the fuse that controls the up and down for both mirrors? My car has no diagram anywhere that I can find....Any idea which fuse, and where/location/amperage..anything?
Just unplug it from the door card! Haha.

·
Registered
296 Posts
In other words, like me, you don't know where or which fuse it is either
Nope, I was just providing a possible solution. I guess those are worthless these days.

Reactions: ebergm5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope, I was just providing a possible solution. I guess those are worthless these days.
I was giving you crap...but, I seriously don't have ant idea where the fuse is for these folding mirrors. My car can be off, key out, I stop at spray car wash just to spray it down with velar water...the stupid mirrors go up and down, car lock/unlocks itself...Pain in the ***….

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wanted to update, currently checking cost to machine it out of stainless. It is some cast zinc alloy, and aluminum probably won't work. It'll be way stronger and resistant against rust.

If anyone is interested in splitting some cost it would help me out.

Ramp:

Reactions: CucoM5

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fuse 28 but it disables the whole drivers door panel; windows and mirrors. Disconnect the mirror from inside the door panel and you can position the mirror however you want.

I have a disassembled mirror assembly ready for the new gear.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Let me know cost and we can split.
Sounds good! Once I have the cost and everything, I'll follow up with you, I'll be super visible with the cost and stuff. I'm planning to have both sides done, that way when it finally happens to my passenger side i'll be ready haha.

If it's easier you can PM me and i'll share my number with you.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i only read the OP's first post. if you're talking about side mirror going beyond normal position when folding back, you do NOT need to take it apart. do the following:
1. fold it inward all the way with button
2. manually unfold the mirror all the way to out-fold position (there's a detent that will slightly lift the mirror from the base when you do this). it'll have another detent in the out-fold position that seats it back.
3. press folding mirror button again and leave it alone while it's doing its thing.

this resets mirror position and you should have normal operation thereafter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sunghyun, my issue is that the mirror doesn't stop on the detent for the down position. It keeps going down until the mirror is just past straight down plus a little, and make a huge popping sound as it passes the broken detent that has been ground off.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i got that. same thing happened to me awhile back. Passenger side stopped at correct position while driver side folded out all the way. i don't think it's detent that's ground off? it's just the sound it makes as it goes past detent. that issue is well described in e60's. Most of the issue is solved with following the described steps as above.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i got that. same thing happened to me awhile back. Passenger side stopped at correct position while driver side folded out all the way. i don't think it's detent that's ground off? it's just the sound it makes as it goes past detent. that issue is well described in e60's. Most of the issue is solved with following the described steps as above.
That's as long as it hasn't destroyed the stop area on the ramp where the detent is supposed to stop. I've taken apart a few recently and have seen that quite a lot of them are pretty much melted off by the motor force. The piece is a softer metal (some cast zinc alloy) that gets pushed against the pin which is steel. This causes it to bend and disfigure the stopping point. After that has occurred using the method that is prescribed will only temporarily fix it and eventually happen again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
got ya. now i'm looking at the photos and makes sense. i haven't had problem since luckily. if it happens again, i'll have to take it apart to look at it! thanks,
It happens to the e90 also. The only problem with the e90's are the area where there's a clip on ours, is essentially sealed, and will require drilling the bottom and re-welding it closed. But the same part on e90 as well.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts