BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Removing the primary cats will save you some weight up front.

Which Recaro were you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think the question is which seat fit my sitting position and the car's space. I need to find out at some shop...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am not sure about the original seat but the carbon version pole position plus the mounting hardwares all together should be around 20 lbs each. It looks like getting to 1600 kgs is easy but 1500kgs is very challenging. I also need consider the weight balancing since I can not trim a lot of weight from the front.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The F80 ccb brake kit adapter just came back from Russia, I installed the all system by myself as usual. Some general idea about the weight saving:

OEM front disc+caliper+bracket+pad = 21.8kgs
F80 CCB front disc+caliper+bracket+pad = 15.0kgs
weight saving 6.8kg each

OEM rear disc+caliper+bracket+pad = 14.8kgs
F80 CCB rear disc+caliper+bracket+pad = 10.1kgs
weight saving 4.7kgs each

Total: 23kgs (50lbs)

The 19" BMW 763M wheel weight is very similar to OEM wheel, adding weight of 25mm/30mm front and back spacers, they are about 1 kgs or 2 lbs lighter than OEM, that's all four wheels together, Since I have changed to 295 tire on the back, I think the entire wheel+spacer+tires will pretty much at the same weight of OEM. However the wheels are now wider: 9" at the front and 10" at the rear. With this setup, I am able to run 295/35/19 at rear. Please note that with 9" front wheel and this 763M's offset, I have to use 25mm spacer in the front, otherwise the wheel will hit the shock. I think 20mm will also work but since I will upgrade the suspension later, I just used 25mm here. The rear has plenty of space, 25mm will give OEM looking.

I will post a separate thread about the F80 CCB brake system installation and performance review, they are just amazing.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ooooh, 50lbs of unsprung should be quite noticeable, especially the rebound over ****ty roads when the suspension is loaded up.

I'm still a bit puzzled by the wheel choice though, I'm pretty sure you can go lighter with the SSR/Oz Challenge/Advant RS etc options that will come in sub 20lbs even with fat widths.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Those 18" you mentioned will not fit. The wheel has to be 19" with enough space otherwise it wont fit the big caliper. I am not sure if all 19" will fit as the space is extremely tight with 763M wheel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To give some weight comparing of OE and 763M

OE front wheel 19x8.5j: 24.4 lbs
763M front wheel 19x9j: 20.9 lbs

OE rear wheel 19x9.5j: 25.7 lbs
763M rear wheel 19x10j: 22.2 lbs

25mm wheel spacer: about 2 lbs

The OE wheel is actually quite good since it has the correct offset without need of any spacer. I will probably keep using the OE if I dont need to run a larger tires on the rear. 763M is extremely well built and balanced. I am surprised to see the adhesive weight are almost identical on each wheels and they all at the opposite position to TPMS valve.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have the MSC 2WAY NR installed at local shop today, the weight of the car with half tank gas is 1680 kgs (3718 lbs). Will go out for some fun driving this weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No, it is 3909 based on the user manual coming with the car. I think this number includes a full tank of gas (70 liters)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the MSC 2WAY NR installed at local shop today, the weight of the car with half tank gas is 1680 kgs (3718 lbs). Will go out for some fun driving this weekend.
are the seats in there yet? god i really want to ride in your car... i could never justify all the investment considering i could buy an s1000rr for that money. It's the way my brain works... it sucks and it robs me of a lot of potential joy in life.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Seat shipment is having problem, the package arrived in Chicago USPS facility then tracking update stopped there. I have asked the seller to open investigation from German side, hopefully they can find it or he will have to ship another pair...

For me this is just a toy, all the fun and joyness is the building process and the excitement of the moment when you have achieved something no other people has done before. I can spend that $150,000 for a 911 GT3 RS, which is what I am planning to throw into this car, that will be a hell faster on the track. But that's it, you may feel excited when you buy the car, for maybe 2 months, then what's next?

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I have MCS 2WNR in my e60m5 and e28m5. I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir about MCS — absolutely worth the investment.

I was at Chuckwalla eating track prepped 964s on slicks in my e60 on ps4ss. Didn’t plan on running the e60 that weekend, as we trailered our e30 out for testing. It was the only car in our group with two seats to give rides.

B8463D06-0204-4D72-903D-48E9ABB0DE90.png

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I can spend that $150,000 for a 911 GT3 RS, which is what I am planning to throw into this car, that will be a hell faster on the track.
^This! Pretty much what I’m doing to my e28m5. Building my own CSL. Goal to have better power/weight than a GT3. I know buying a GT3 is cheaper, but this is more fun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Well, I am not really convinced by the installation at AR Motorsport in Portland. I went out for test drive during the weekend and a lot of things just did not feel right. After went back home, I lifted the car and it seems a lot of things went wrong based on my experience.

1, The front shock is missing helper spring, the spring can move freely for about 2 inches when the shock is not compressed. The top spring plate and spring are zip tied together, totally disaster.

2, The rear helper spring and main spring are jointed with spring spacer rather than help spring guide. When the shock travels in large distance, the spacer will hit the shock thread and make horrible noise. I think the movement will also eat the thread on the shock body as well. I am pretty sure the correct installation should use a help sprint guide and mounted on the top of the shock?

3, Front axle position changed, not sure why they have done that and I am extremely confused here. Are they trying to maintain the OEM caster? I think that's why I have some strange feeling of the suspension.

I would have done the job of replacing of thrust arm and tie rod by myself if I knew how much they are charging for their labor!
IMG_3172 copy.jpg

I never go to a dealership to do service and have always done everything by myself, all because I once found a missing bolt under chassis after regular maintenance a couple of years ago. Now new lessons learned, the performance modification can also go south. Now, it is time to fix all the troubles by myself.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts