Is it just me, or is everyone a bit OCD about their car, lol - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 2005- Advertiser's Forum.

 5Likes
  • 1 Post By built240
  • 1 Post By Raven M6
  • 1 Post By Jahangeer
  • 2 Post By TexaZ3
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 13th January 2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Waitingondapig
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Waitingondapig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 213
Thanks: 28
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Is it just me, or is everyone a bit OCD about their car, lol

Is it just me, or do most feel they need to set a higher standard with their Mís? I have only seen one other M6 in my area ( parked at a Dentist office), so to me, I feel like it need to be sure my car is always a good example of our cars as they are not seen much here. Always washing it ( itís black so many know what thatís like ), replaced my emblems so they donít look faded, interior kept clean in case someone wants to see how many cows died for the full leather interior, etc...

I even go to the trouble to wash the inside of the rims, lol.

Then thereís the whole driving part...constantly wanting to push over the speed limit Ďcause it seems like everyone expects it, no slow lanes for me, and ramping up in an interstate MUST be fast !!

Maybe itís just me. Anyone else share in my disorder?

2007 e63 M6 - All black
2008 e64 650i - All black
1998 e38 740il - All black

Seems I like black cars !
Waitingondapig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 13th January 2019, 11:44 PM
built240
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
built240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: san diego,CA
Posts: 1,440
Thanks: 246
Thanked 85 Times in 76 Posts
I was so OCD about my previous M6 that I only drove it maybe 8000 miles in 4yrs. My OCD was fear that something would go wrong with the car and after I sold it I regretted the sale and even tried to buy it back. Sold it at 49,000 miles and I still talk to the new owner who has about 75,000 miles on it now and not a single thing has gone wrong with it lol. Now I’m currently having a 5.5 L high compression stroker being built on another one and this time around I’m going to actually drive the car LOL

For warranty purposes, all modification talked about on my M6 is for role play only. My M6 is currently 100% stock and the mods I am referring to are from a friends M6 i'm posting about. Thanks
built240 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 14th January 2019, 10:32 AM
Raven M6
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
Raven M6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 137
Thanks: 17
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingondapig View Post
Is it just me, or do most feel they need to set a higher standard with their Mís? I have only seen one other M6 in my area ( parked at a Dentist office), so to me, I feel like it need to be sure my car is always a good example of our cars as they are not seen much here. Always washing it ( itís black so many know what thatís like ), replaced my emblems so they donít look faded, interior kept clean in case someone wants to see how many cows died for the full leather interior, etc...

I even go to the trouble to wash the inside of the rims, lol.

Then thereís the whole driving part...constantly wanting to push over the speed limit Ďcause it seems like everyone expects it, no slow lanes for me, and ramping up in an interstate MUST be fast !!

Maybe itís just me. Anyone else share in my disorder?
Yes I'm pretty much the same way. Except I kind of cheat with the washes by using Griot's Speed Shine. This stuff is like magic, I get people asking me where I wash my car or how I keep it so clean all the time

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...0042KMX18?th=1

I'm in Houston where BMW's are almost as common as Hondas. During the 3 years that I've been an M6 owner, I've also only seen just a handful (maybe 4-5 total?) of E63/64 M6's in the wild. Sadly, none were as clean as mine.
Raven M6 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 15th January 2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Waitingondapig
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Waitingondapig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 213
Thanks: 28
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven M6 View Post
Yes I'm pretty much the same way. Except I kind of cheat with the washes by using Griot's Speed Shine. This stuff is like magic, I get people asking me where I wash my car or how I keep it so clean all the time

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...0042KMX18?th=1

I'm in Houston where BMW's are almost as common as Hondas. During the 3 years that I've been an M6 owner, I've also only seen just a handful (maybe 4-5 total?) of E63/64 M6's in the wild. Sadly, none were as clean as mine.
I may give that a try ! ...looks like it might kill two birds with one stone if you apply and wipe off vs. washing and then having to dry to keep the water spots off the car. Mines the only car Iíve ever had that no one eats in...and can only drink water or black coffee, lol ! But...for what itís worth, it still looks looks like a new one with the only exceptions being the slight swirls in the clear from 11 years of washing and some little rock chips in the hood.

If it had only been a 3 pedal manual vs. the SMG It would have been the exact car I was looking for...Iím hoping one day to get up the nerve (and spare fun money) to see if I can swap it to a 3 pedal from a donor. Iíve seen a few go by on the web auto auctions for wrecked ones...prices are slowly coming down it seems

2007 e63 M6 - All black
2008 e64 650i - All black
1998 e38 740il - All black

Seems I like black cars !
Waitingondapig is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 22nd January 2019, 03:01 PM
Jahangeer
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Jahangeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sweden
Age: 49
Posts: 1,933
Thanks: 63
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Chance are if you are on this forum, to some extent you have OCD. Be it maintaining the mechanics or the exterior/interior.

In my opinion, being OCD about the M6 is part of my enthusiast profile.

Regards
J (formerly SchrickM5)

Current ride:-

2014 M5 Competition
Alpine White III
Jahangeer is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 31st January 2019, 03:35 AM
Bimmer_Pilot
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 122
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
I think there are a few factors that play into it. The first being that most M cars require a decent amount of care just speaking mechanically. M cars with owners that do not pay close attention to details end up parts cars for the rest of us. So I think it self regulates to a degree there.

There's also the fact that there are not many other manufacturers where their performance line has such a strong legacy and identity. Also that are such drastic evolutions of the base chassis. When you go to buy a Mustang or Camaro you'll think about trim levels. Do you want to upgrade to the GT or SS? For M cars you don't go look at 6 series and think DO I want to upgrade to an M? You are either looking at M6s or you're looking at 6 series. It's not just an add on you tick a box for. There's a lot more pride to be had there.
Bimmer_Pilot is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 15th February 2019, 10:16 PM
TexaZ3
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
TexaZ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 834
Thanks: 45
Thanked 67 Times in 63 Posts
I wouldn't call what you described OCD. Just proper car care.

OCD is when you use various boar brushes and toothpicks to keep interior clean every wash. Vacuum and wet wipe every weekend, double bucket wash and dry, wax every month, wash rims inside and out, sometimes take off wheels to clean the wheel arches, condition rubber seals, polish exhaust tips, wash and dress up engine bay monthly. Even if you have not driven the car since last wash!

Replace even the slightest bolt that is scuffed and plastic rivet that is broken or wrong type, etc. Use only genuine parts, maintain using old-school schedule. Now that is close to OCD, even though not quite there. Trust me, I've seen some OCD owners.

E36 1999 M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow/Black Vaders
E36 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black Leather, Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein.
E39 2000 M5 Imola/Black Heritage
E46 2005 M3 Coupe ZCP Carbon Black/Black
E63 2006 M6 Coupe Indianapolis Red/Black/Madeira, Style 343

Last edited by TexaZ3; 15th February 2019 at 10:17 PM.
TexaZ3 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 1st March 2019, 02:39 AM
rawone
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
rawone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 255
Thanks: 19
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
I wouldn't call what you described OCD. Just proper car care.

OCD is when you use various boar brushes and toothpicks to keep interior clean every wash. Vacuum and wet wipe every weekend, double bucket wash and dry, wax every month, wash rims inside and out, sometimes take off wheels to clean the wheel arches, condition rubber seals, polish exhaust tips, wash and dress up engine bay monthly. Even if you have not driven the car since last wash!

Replace even the slightest bolt that is scuffed and plastic rivet that is broken or wrong type, etc. Use only genuine parts, maintain using old-school schedule. Now that is close to OCD, even though not quite there. Trust me, I've seen some OCD owners.


Yea...all of that in this thread. Including monthly headlight waxing (I don't want them to cloud up). And changing my exhaust because I couldn't get the tips to shine like when they were new (also an excuse to get RPI race exhaust) . People really give a puzzled look when they find out you took the wheels off to clean them


But...alias....I have to say goodbye. Selling my beloved M6, I did find a good home for her...

2006 M6 Indy - Red / Red
2015 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S - Yellow / Black
2003 Acura NSX - Silver / Black
2011 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid - White / Tan

1987 Honda VFR700 F2 (sold )

Last edited by rawone; 1st March 2019 at 02:41 AM.
rawone is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 7th May 2019, 09:20 PM
Crimson1
Member
 
Crimson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 42
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawone View Post
Yea...all of that in this thread. Including monthly headlight waxing (I don't want them to cloud up)...
Hi there, M5 peasant just passing through... so you say you wax your headlights? What kind of wax do you use, and how sure are you of the efficacy of this practice? I typically gloss over (no pun intended) my headlights when applying wax, but if there are benefits to be had (and no drawbacks), maybe I should include them in my maintenance regimen.
Crimson1 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[email protected] women who know nothing about their car. Sharpie12 E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 44 20th April 2012 05:38 PM
My name is Matt and I have OCD [email protected] E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 66 5th April 2008 02:23 AM
OCD and M5, OT I guess ATK E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 12 26th December 2006 05:08 AM
Another site for OCD Ship Trackers.... rad22 E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 1 14th October 2005 06:12 AM
Everyone is flashing their brights at me! Jay-Three E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 17 22nd May 2001 10:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome