S85 High Pressure Vanos Line - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 14th February 2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
coKeith
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S85 High Pressure Vanos Line

I've reviewed the TIS documents on replacing this line and G.A.S.'s docs on the bearing replacement but still left with some questions.

The internal line is fitted from the outside next to the water pump; this is the second "T" connection in the system, the other (for external line) is at the top of the engine. I've yet to remove the pump from below; how much clearance is in there to feed the line down & through? Next, how much are people actually removing to feed the line down? Are you removing the tensioner, face of the water pump and the water lines?

If I wanted to test the lines for leaks w/ the engine open would you just disconnect the accumulator at the bottom and pressure test from there? What kind of leak down would be appropriate?

Thanks!
Attached Images
   
coKeith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 14th February 2019, 09:55 PM
m5 deamon
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
m5 deamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: new york, long island
Posts: 3,528
Thanks: 138
Thanked 240 Times in 209 Posts
remove two top 10mm bolts from water pump and unbolt the power steering pump and there is all the room in the world to change the high pressure hose

2003 M5 Carbon Black, Black sport interior.

Evolve Alpha N tune, headers,race cats,heads
Rakkiu modified throttle bodies
Schrick cams
e46 m3 oil cooler gulf oil filter housing
Kw v3 with ground control camber plates , Dinan rear sway bar, Beast power brakets
Stop tech st 40 and st22
UUC light weight flywheel 850csi clutch, Evo3 shifter and dssr
Gas mono balls
Rouge wheel studs aluminum lugs
Vorstiner front splitters
Exotics tuning finned diffuser
Euro headlights and taillights with rear fogs
Euro arm rest
40% Lock lsd
m5 deamon is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m5 deamon For This Useful Post:
coKeith (15th February 2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 15th February 2019, 12:49 AM
sundaycruzers
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 485
Thanks: 29
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I doubt you can get the line in or out without taking pump out. I left line connected to pump and pressurized with air, I could hear the line leaking with pan still on. If that helps
sundaycruzers is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 15th February 2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
coKeith
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaycruzers View Post
I doubt you can get the line in or out without taking pump out. I left line connected to pump and pressurized with air, I could hear the line leaking with pan still on. If that helps
Yes it does help, thanks. What did you use for an attachment to pressurize? I have been looking for something quick/easy at local auto parts but nothing is off the shelf. I assume I could adapt from an air fitting to some sort of banjo fitting? I do see this specialty BMW tool; 83300495130 which would take a few days to get here and might just be a 1 time use for me.
coKeith is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 15th February 2019, 02:31 PM
sundaycruzers
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 485
Thanks: 29
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coKeith View Post
Yes it does help, thanks. What did you use for an attachment to pressurize? I have been looking for something quick/easy at local auto parts but nothing is off the shelf. I assume I could adapt from an air fitting to some sort of banjo fitting? I do see this specialty BMW tool; 83300495130 which would take a few days to get here and might just be a 1 time use for me.


Rubber tip blow gun
sundaycruzers is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 15th February 2019, 03:54 PM
flacoramos
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coKeith View Post

If I wanted to test the lines for leaks w/ the engine open would you just disconnect the accumulator at the bottom and pressure test from there? What kind of leak down would be appropriate?
If engine is open why bother? Remove the vanos pump and replace the hose. You don't want to risk opening the engine again if the hose fails.

As for how to remove the hose I removed the water pump pulley (4 bolts) to remove the hose. I for sure didn't remove the water pump or any water hose.
flacoramos is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 15th February 2019, 04:02 PM
sundaycruzers
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 485
Thanks: 29
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacoramos View Post
If engine is open why bother? Remove the vanos pump and replace the hose. You don't want to risk opening the engine again if the hose fails.



As for how to remove the hose I removed the water pump pulley (4 bolts) to remove the hose. I for sure didn't remove the water pump or any water hose.


I don’t believe he’s pulled anything apart, those pictures are from another thread. And there’s a few more parts to remove than just the water pump pulley, otherwise I completely agree.
sundaycruzers is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
s85 , vanos , vanos test

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E60 For Sale: 2x VANOS high pressure pumps - $750 shipped jcolley Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 7 2nd May 2015 05:36 PM
S85 Vanos High Pressure Pump Duschanio E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 28 21st June 2014 12:28 AM
New vanos high pressure oil pump problem ferretti E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 14 17th July 2012 06:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome