another rod bearing DIY (custom ACL/Lang) - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old 24th January 2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
gpeterson
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
another rod bearing DIY (custom ACL/Lang)

I just finished doing bearings/VANOS line/motor mounts etc. on my 2007 M5 with 104k mi. Sorry for the image links, they don't seem to render inline.


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb1.jpg

My bearings looked better than expected for 104k mi:


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb4.jpg

I went with custom ACL bearings from Lang Racing ("customized for .0023" to .0025" Bearing Clearance"):



http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb2.jpg
http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb3.jpg

Plastigauge looked good:


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb6.jpg


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb7.jpg

I got the car back together yesterday and everything is fine so far.

Last edited by gpeterson; 24th January 2019 at 12:30 AM.
gpeterson is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 07:54 PM
sunghyun7
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
sunghyun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 315
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Garage
another win for ACL! nice work.

my car's also running like champ with those ACL bearings. hit 170mph yesterday with ease. i like that ACL has even more clearance than BE. it's actually the perfect amount i would gap the rod bearing if i were building any other engine. BE is still little too tight imho!
sunghyun7 is online now  
post #3 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 07:56 PM
sunghyun7
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
sunghyun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 315
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Garage
btw whoever that sold you the bearings put those bottom and top stickers on themselves lol. it's little cheeky imho. unless you did it yourself.

i asked ACL directly, and they told me they do not separate top and bottom shells.

that's the only improvement i wish ACL make for my next set from them at 150k miles.

2006 E60 M5 with supersprint headers, mid pipe, and muffler without cat. Evolve R stage 3 tune.
sunghyun7 is online now  
 
post #4 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
gpeterson
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunghyun7 View Post
another win for ACL! nice work.

my car's also running like champ with those ACL bearings. hit 170mph yesterday with ease. i like that ACL has even more clearance than BE. it's actually the perfect amount i would gap the rod bearing if i were building any other engine. BE is still little too tight imho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunghyun7 View Post
btw whoever that sold you the bearings put those bottom and top stickers on themselves lol. it's little cheeky imho. unless you did it yourself.

i asked ACL directly, and they told me they do not separate top and bottom shells.

that's the only improvement i wish ACL make for my next set from them at 150k miles.
The bearings I bought are not one of the regular 2 flavors of ACL, they are customized for .0023" to .0025" by Lang, essentially the same clearance as BE.

Last edited by gpeterson; 26th January 2019 at 07:58 PM.
gpeterson is online now  
post #5 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 08:54 PM
sunghyun7
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
sunghyun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 315
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Garage
can you post up picture of the p/n? i have hx-std. it's 0.0250mm over total which is larger gap than BE. and who's lang?

2006 E60 M5 with supersprint headers, mid pipe, and muffler without cat. Evolve R stage 3 tune.
sunghyun7 is online now  
post #6 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 09:39 PM
deceneu
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 59
Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
I just finished doing bearings/VANOS line/motor mounts etc. on my 2007 M5 with 104k mi. Sorry for the image links, they don't seem to render inline.


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb1.jpg

My bearings looked better than expected for 104k mi:


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb4.jpg

I went with custom ACL bearings from Lang Racing ("customized for .0023" to .0025" Bearing Clearance"):



http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb2.jpg
http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb3.jpg

Plastigauge looked good:


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb6.jpg


http://e36-electronic.com/photos/M5/rb7.jpg

I got the car back together yesterday and everything is fine so far.
Hello mate, what bolts did you use? Also, whats the part number of the ACL you used?

Thanks
deceneu is offline  
post #7 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
gpeterson
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunghyun7 View Post
can you post up picture of the p/n? i have hx-std. it's 0.0250mm over total which is larger gap than BE. and who's lang?
The shells said:

1580H
JL18
STD

Lang = https://www.langracing.com

This says BE measures 0.00235, ACL H 0.00190, ACL HX 0.00290:

Engine Specs - S65 Rod Bearings - Wiki-DIY

That is why I went with custom ACL from Lang. Sounds like they bin them like BE to give optimal clearance.
gpeterson is online now  
post #8 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
gpeterson
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceneu View Post
Hello mate, what bolts did you use? Also, whats the part number of the ACL you used?

Thanks
I used Carrillo bolts that Lang recommended. These are the bearings - https://store.langracing.com/acl-rod...-e63-m5-m6-s85.

Last edited by gpeterson; 26th January 2019 at 10:19 PM.
gpeterson is online now  
post #9 of 58 Old 26th January 2019, 11:58 PM
simonnim
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
simonnim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 84
Thanks: 9
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not looking forward to pulling mines out 120-130k but when I do i'll let you know how the WPC coated 702/703's held up.

2007 E60 M5 - Indianapolis Red
- Bearings changed at 69,500 with WPC coated 702/703
simonnim is offline  
post #10 of 58 Old 28th January 2019, 05:15 AM
sundaycruzers
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 461
Thanks: 28
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Just started my rb job today. Iím using acl hx, plasi gauge all within 2.5 to 3 thousandths. I plan on using a lighter oil so some extra space is worth it. Canít wait to have it done.
sundaycruzers is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Premature Rod Bearing Failures on Early 3.8 Engines due to Oil pump issues Euro-M5 E34 M5 Discussion 2 2nd May 2004 09:13 AM
Selling Custom Audio (3 Amps & Subwoofer) for e39 M5 BeastPower Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 1 18th March 2003 03:32 AM
Off-Topic but of Interest: Custom M5 Audio System (I am selling) BeastPower Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 1 18th March 2003 03:30 AM
Custom Carbon Fiber Look M Side Emblems. CountZero Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 1 16th August 2002 12:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome