Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
Join Date: Jan 2018
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
How to Setup Garage Door Opener
I had difficulty getting mine to work. Neither the BMW manual or Garage opener manual provided correct steps and had difficulty finding online (at least for me). Here are the steps that finally worked for me with 2 different garage openers.
****My car had to be started to work, not just ignition like manual stated. Keep in mind you will be opening and closing garage several times during this procedure, so you may want to park vehicle directly outside garage for this to avoid fume intake from exhaust. No good.****
1. (skip if you don't want to clear existing and just programming a second button for another function. If you do this for second function/button, you WILL WIPE your previous program.) Press left and right most memory buttons on rear view mirror and HOLD for about 20 seconds. The LED light next to memory buttons will flash rapidly notifying you all previous stored programs erased. Release both buttons
2. Press and hold the memory button you want to program until it flashes slowly and KEEP HOLDING
3. On your original garage transmitter (the remote with button to open/close garage) press button to open/close. IF LIGHTS FLASHED RAPIDLY you're done, it worked release any buttons you are holding, otherwise press the button on original transmitter again changing position keeping near mirror until you find sweet spot and get the rapid flash of LED lights. If the light goes off all together repeat steps starting at #2 as you hit the timeout. For me holding both buttons together (mirror plus original opener like directions stated) did not work, I had to hold mirror button continuously and randomly press transmitter button from different spots/angles near mirror until it sync'd
Alternating Code (Complete steps above first or this is useless, you need to give the car a code before it pushes anything out to attempt an open/close)
1. On Garage Drive (unit inside garage that opens and closes), press and release the memory/program button on back (mine only had one), once pressed the LED light next to it comes on solid
2. QUICKLY (you got about 30 seconds). Press the memory button inside car on rear view mirror you want to program 3 times quickly. This did not fully do it for me, after doing this 3 times quickly, press and hold the memory button for a second or two until it flashes rapidly and that will complete the cycle for the garage drive unit to accept code, light will go off on drive unit. I did this several times and until I did the long follow through at end by a 2 second button press on rear view mirror, the garage never took the button presses. Once I did do this, programming completed and worked fine. Now you should be all set and your garage should have probably opened and closed from the memory button on rear view mirror at this point.
2008 BMW M5 E60 Current DD