Best plug and play angel eyes upgrade? - Page 4 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

 16Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 05:32 AM
5soko
Moderator
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,132
Thanks: 112
Thanked 284 Times in 218 Posts
Yup, this^

Its the nature of how these rings are setup, no setup will light them up equally..

The hid setup overkills the inner ring to get more light to the outer ring.. On top of some HID kits being too powerful and causing yellow burning to the rings..
5soko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 16th March 2017, 03:32 PM
horse86
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
horse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,091
Thanks: 59
Thanked 58 Times in 57 Posts
My HID kit has resistors wired in...not sure how much it lowers the wattage but no issues with yellowing what so ever for over 3+ years.

but agreed..the inner ring will always be brighter b/c that's where the light source is coming from

- Justin

/// 2008 Space Grey M5 (SMG)
2009 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2008 Range Rover FullFat

Last edited by horse86; 16th March 2017 at 03:33 PM.
horse86 is offline  
Old 18th March 2017, 10:08 PM
umnitza
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 2,251
Thanks: 3
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
HID kits WILL yellow your fiber optics. it will not happen in 2 weeks, it will not happen in 2 months, but if you have them on for any extended period of time, 1 hr at a time or more, you can expect to see your rings yellow and fade to a greenish glow very soon. This isn't a guesstimate it's a fact.

If you do LED replacements, there are literally 3 or 4 of them on the market bright enough to cover the outside ring and the inside ring at reasonable intensity.
We sell one called the ICETEC H8 system (it's just like another one with a similar name) this H8 unit can be found here:


And the output of the LED is similar to the HID without the nasty burnt fiber optics.


And finally:
If you want to go all in, get the Orion V2 or V4, there is literally nothing brighter or more evenly done than those - see pics below:
DSC_2794_zpsc3d74749.jpg Photo by DKNewYork | Photobucket

Last edited by umnitza; 18th March 2017 at 10:09 PM.
umnitza is offline  
 
Old 21st March 2017, 02:54 PM
horse86
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
horse86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,091
Thanks: 59
Thanked 58 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
HID kits WILL yellow your fiber optics. it will not happen in 2 weeks, it will not happen in 2 months, but if you have them on for any extended period of time, 1 hr at a time or more, you can expect to see your rings yellow and fade to a greenish glow very soon. This isn't a guesstimate it's a fact.



Nope. 3+ years at least with my HID "brand" and no yellowing...fact.

You're clearly marketing your products with the remainder of your post. LED bulbs in our lamps will never touch HID as far as intensity...and that is the fact

- Justin

/// 2008 Space Grey M5 (SMG)
2009 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2008 Range Rover FullFat

Last edited by horse86; 21st March 2017 at 03:01 PM.
horse86 is offline  
Old 21st March 2017, 06:25 PM
umnitza
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 2,251
Thanks: 3
Thanked 83 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horse86 View Post
Nope. 3+ years at least with my HID "brand" and no yellowing...fact.

You're clearly marketing your products with the remainder of your post. LED bulbs in our lamps will never touch HID as far as intensity...and that is the fact
Not trying to argue the point. I've seen personally HID installed onto headlights that we were working on to put the Orion V2 and V4 into. They are great in short doses but over time, we've found the relays, ballasts, bulbs, etc. fail and produce too much heat. Of course if you are only running for a certain period of time, let's say 10-30 minute intervals, it would probably be fine, but we've seen very burned fiber optics. Again, YMMV.

We have LED drop in bulbs, we have HID kits, and we have LED replacement rings. So it's not like we're pushing one tech over another because we don't sell a particular type. The reality is that with LED of any sort, it's just simpler to deal with any issues if they arise...

PS: wait til you see our latest project
umnitza is offline  
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:22 AM
chrishoche
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
chrishoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylannn23 View Post
Thanks for your help Drew! They're a lot brighter than I thought they'd be.


Are these the LUX H8 160 or 180 model? They do seem very bright. Itís like you have your headlights on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrishoche is offline  
Old 7th April 2019, 09:12 PM
sjsuM5
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
sjsuM5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 234
Thanks: 87
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Not trying to argue the point. I've seen personally HID installed onto headlights that we were working on to put the Orion V2 and V4 into. They are great in short doses but over time, we've found the relays, ballasts, bulbs, etc. fail and produce too much heat. Of course if you are only running for a certain period of time, let's say 10-30 minute intervals, it would probably be fine, but we've seen very burned fiber optics. Again, YMMV.



We have LED drop in bulbs, we have HID kits, and we have LED replacement rings. So it's not like we're pushing one tech over another because we don't sell a particular type. The reality is that with LED of any sort, it's just simpler to deal with any issues if they arise...



PS: wait til you see our latest project


What do you recommend for pre-LCI?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
M5
Exterior -- Space Gray
Interior -- Silverstone leather, Aluminum trim

Mods -- Charcoal Filters Removed, RPI Scoops with BMC Filters, Breyton 21" Race GTP Gun Metal Gray Wheels,
Eibach Pro-kit Springs, CF Front Lip Spoiler, Tinted Windows, "M" Aluminum Pedals, M Sprint Booster
sjsuM5 is online now  
 

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plug and Play Navigation Upgrade jsbremer E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 6 20th November 2012 08:45 PM
New Forum Sponor: AngeliBright.com -Brightest Plug&Play, Angel Eye Upgrade on Market AngeliBright.com M5 E39 Group Buy Forum and Sponsor Discussion and Offerings 3 13th March 2007 05:15 PM
New Forum Sponsor: AngeliBright.com -Brightest Plug&Play, Angel Eye Upgrade on Market AngeliBright.com M5 E60 Group Buy Forum and Sponsor Discussion and Offerings 2 13th March 2007 07:57 AM
New Forum Sponor: AngeliBright.com -Brightest Plug&Play, Angel Eye Upgrade on Market AngeliBright.com M6 E63 Group Buy and Sponsor Discussion and Offerings 0 13th March 2007 05:31 AM
DSP Upgrade plug n play? 540is E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 9 28th October 2003 06:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome