I snagged a pair of BMW E60 halogen headlights off eBay and they have sat in my garage for over a year and I finally got around to them. This was another experimental/practice build.
Although the M5 never had halogen headlights this may be helpful for those with pre-LCI headlights and are interested to see what some options are in terms of aesthetics, these headlights are essentially the same minus the factory Bi-Xenon projector and AFS motors. If nothing else, transformations like this are always fun to observe.
First things first, lens restoration, my wagon was kind enough to donate it's headlight brackets for the process
1,200 pics skipped, 1,500grit
2,000g pics skipped, 3,000g
Finishing Compound, Opti-Lens was applied after this.
I thought about it, I wanted to... but not this time, the LS430 projector will continue to wait for the correct housing.
This was the worst permaseal I have encountered. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the E60 housing could be opened, not sure if they used a different permaseal on the older housings or if the age of the headlight had anything to do with it. Either way this sucked, even with those goofy "headlight sealant removal tools"
This corner was a nightmare in particular, you can imagine...BMW permaseal at those angles.
The bowl was nice and tall but just not deep enough. I wasn't confident enough to start hacking up the LS430 shroud with the possibility of it not fitting so I aborted mission.
I was thinking of running the RX AFS but again the real clearance was going to be an issue and I wasn't willing to compromise the housings caps/seal on this build so I went with the very boring but very functional MH1 7.0. With an E46 shroud I has the idea of keeping this an oem+ build with chrome shrouds and everything buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttt why oem+ when I can experiment with something more exciting
I am so predictable: black demon eye and black bowls
Shrouds rings mounted and shrouds painted
Rotation done and locked in
Now for aesthetics, the oem reflector and turn signal lens are a pretty crude design
Omitting them wasn't really an option as they would leave an obvious void
My hopes were to blend the lens in with the reflector so I tried some silver/aluminum paint and frosted the lens
The chrome was still underneath
Frosted the angel eyes as well
I painted the underlying chrome silver to see if that would help visually join the 2 pieces, noooooot really
Blacked out the ring carriers
The silver reflector wasn't working so the next plan was to black it out, to tone down the frosted lens I painted the turn signal bowl black, frosted rings live on.
Mounted the ballast internally with some VHB tape
With the main headlight trim in place it is a tight fit but it works
Everything is internal
Blacked out angel eyes
Bulbs were in rough shape
I had some LED bulbs lying around
All sealed up
Nighttime running lights
Turn signal performs well with the frosted lens
Some demo shots on my wagon, sorry for the pics, it was hard to capture the headlights without a reflection
Output shots: 35w DDM ballast and 5.5k DDM bulbs. Output is great IMO. I was experiencing some slight bowing on the cutoff, not sure if other MH1 7.0 owners are experiencing this or if I should chalk it up to DDM bulb fitment (hotspots and beam pattern are great).