More progress overnight, I got the SMG transmission out. Exhaust, heat-shield and driveshaft came out pretty easily. I even mentioned to my friend how easy this was going along. You might know this as foreshadowing and probably know what is coming unknown to me! Got to the trans, removed wires, removed rear o2 sensors, etc. Began loosening all the e-torx bolts around the bell housing. Had to use my entire set of locking extensions from HF Tools, made life so much easier not having the extensions fall/pop out. Having a nice time I say......
However, this project really had a close call. One of the starter e-torx bolts had been overtorqued and rounded from the previous clutch job prior to my ownership. Needless to say that was an absolute PITA and came close to possibly dropping the motor and trans together in order to get to this. I used my 8mm bolt extractors to hammer on with my extension train and managed to get it off somehow....luck was on my side. MAKE SURE TO USE THE PROPER E-TORX SOCKETS! IT IS NOT FUN REMOVING THE TOP ONES, especially if they are rounded/over-torqued. Go slow and make sure you are fully seated when getting these off.
Got the old SMG out, surprisingly the wiring didn't look too bad near the PLCD sensor. I HIGHLY recommend a low profile trans jack or having someone with a lift and a trans jack. I did this with a regular jack, that was much more difficult to balance the trans coming down. This thing is heavy and will want to rollover coming down if you are not balancing this as it comes down if you do it this way! For some reason, my pilot bearing popped out with the trans. Not sure what that was about. Haven't pulled the clutch and flywheel out yet but they looked well beat for a unit that has done 50+ launch control starts. It's also a great time to replace all O2 sensors, I will be doing all four since my car has had lambda errors.
I ran the last hydraulic line from the clutch master to the clutch slave. Being that the trans was out, it made it a lot easier to fish the line up from inside the car. The line runs from the master, over the trans tunnel and into a grommet. Look at my photo if you need a reference. Don't forget to check the rubber o-ring and locking clip on both ends.
The interior no longer looks like a absolute mess anymore and is all fully back together and functioning. The EDC and MDM buttons are functioning the way they are supposed to and I tested all the buttons to make sure they work as intended. Off to Hawaii I go for a week and back at this immediately when I get back!