Knowledge base on Peake codes for E39 M5 - Page 5 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 966 Old 8th January 2008, 12:26 PM
richie_rvf
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
richie_rvf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 936
Thanks: 67
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farquy View Post
Thanks chowdah, the tech did mention the parts to be changed had something to do with the oil system.

I did look at the table at the top of this thread but what I don't understand is what would cause a cylinder, no 8 in my case, to misfire and what does MFL interface signal mean and once again what would cause a code?

If my translation is ok then it has something to do with the multi function steering wheel. (multifunktionslenkrad) Maybe as I have recently been trying to put a retrofit bluetooth system in and for the first time the voice recognition button works but this is a wild stab in the dark.

Thanks
farquy
Trying to find out what causes mis fires my self...

The MFL code is related to the steering wheel - I have had this code in the past, eventually the buttons stopped working, including the back light, and I ended up replacing the slip ring, easy enough job and never had a code since.

HTH - Richie.
richie_rvf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 966 Old 12th January 2008, 06:08 PM
Rich S
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two code popping up - 08 and 71, Intake camshaft and intake camshaft VANOS sensors on cyl 5-8. Just a week after I bought the car, in July, the SES lit up and I managed to get the dealer (who sold it used) to do the repair at no charge. I'm pretty sure it was a cam sensor, but don't have the details on which bank.

When I reset the codes, it doesn't pop up again for anywhere from 1-20 days, usually about a week or so. If the sensor was actually bad, wouldn't it light the code immediately the next time I drove the car? Is this an indication that it's just periodically throwing a bad signal - a very intermittend wiring issue or soimething similar?

I've also had an O2 sensor light up twice - once just after I got the car, and once in December. The first time, the dealer said it was a one-time code and not to worry about it. And during one of the weekly 08/71 clears, a 90/91 popped up, but hasn't been seen since.

Should I worry about either the random, once every 4-6 month codes, or the weekly-ish CPS codes? Any harm in just continuing to clear them?

When service is due, probably 4K miles from now, I'll probably ask the mechanic about them.
Rich S is offline  
post #43 of 966 Old 12th January 2008, 06:20 PM
IanS
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
IanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmond, OK USA
Posts: 193
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My CPS experience was exactly what you are seeing Rich S.
I got the CPS and VANOS sensor codes, then I would clear them and they would return anywhere from the same day to a couple of days (not as many as 20 days though).

The sensor itself fails intermittently and it only gets worse. Replace the sensor and clear the codes and it will not come back. This is not a symptom of bad wiring, it's the sensor.

CPS is not expensive to fix on the scale of things, and it is a possible DIY depending on your handiness. The only problem is that you can't see much behind the motor so you have to do most of it by feel. I used a mechanic's mirror on a telescoping rod and took my time, looking at each step of what I was about to do with the mirror before removing anything. It turned out to be not as bad as I was expecting.

Anyway the downside of not fixing it is bad performance and I suppose possible misfires if the timing is way off. I couldn't stand not having all of the car's power when I wanted it and not knowing if it would lose power at higher revs just when I didn't want that, and the SES light. It made me apprehensive to drive.

I think for peace of mind you should do it sooner rather than later.
My $.03 !

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
01 ///M5 LeMans/Black/Silverstone
IanS is offline  
 
post #44 of 966 Old 16th January 2008, 05:02 AM
Ted
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,938
Thanks: 420
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
My CPS experience was exactly what you are seeing Rich S.
I got the CPS and VANOS sensor codes, then I would clear them and they would return anywhere from the same day to a couple of days (not as many as 20 days though).

The sensor itself fails intermittently and it only gets worse. Replace the sensor and clear the codes and it will not come back. This is not a symptom of bad wiring, it's the sensor.

CPS is not expensive to fix on the scale of things, and it is a possible DIY depending on your handiness. The only problem is that you can't see much behind the motor so you have to do most of it by feel. I used a mechanic's mirror on a telescoping rod and took my time, looking at each step of what I was about to do with the mirror before removing anything. It turned out to be not as bad as I was expecting.

Anyway the downside of not fixing it is bad performance and I suppose possible misfires if the timing is way off. I couldn't stand not having all of the car's power when I wanted it and not knowing if it would lose power at higher revs just when I didn't want that, and the SES light. It made me apprehensive to drive.

I think for peace of mind you should do it sooner rather than later.
My $.03 !
Cool, just in time, when I go to post my problem I see the above posts which seem to be very similar to my problems...by the way if you guys don't mind please keep me posted on the repairs you do and how they work out for you!

Ok, I finally got a Peake FCX 3. I was going to get just an Innova 3100 like Bread said (I like it too!) but I realized one important advantage to the Peake- I'm keeping my M5 for the REST OF MY LIFE and this board is my primary reference for everything M5 and most of the members here have a Peake and when I used the Innova scanner and posted the codes here 1) I couldn't get any conclusive answers to my questions as to what the codes meant 2) I wasn't even able to pinpoint myself what the codes meant after days of research. But I see it all the time, somebody posts a Peake code and boom! 100% response and definitive answers

So I took my new Peake out, actually read all the instructions, checked my SES light, and got the numbers 16 and 71. Book says first number is not a code but the table you use, so I go to table 16, which in turn says "see table 11", ok, I go to table 11, code 71-not present! It simply is not there, I am so confused! I followed the directions, now what? So I go here to get some answers, and read "ignore all tables except table 18, that is the only one that applies to the e39"!!! What?!? My car and my book told me that I need table 16, so what's going on? Am I retarded?

And if I do go by table 18, can somebody please ellaborate on codes 16 and 71 if they do really both count as codes please and what I need to replace...thank you very much!


2009 Toyota Tundra TRD Black/Gray
aFe cold air intake, aFe throttle body spacer, TRD rear sway bar, HID 6K low beams & fog lights, Recon LED tailgate bar, Recon Auxiliary reverse lights, GoLight Stryker remote control spotlight, JL Audio sound system, Tekonsha brake controller, Line-X on front grill-front bumper-rear bumper-bed, Black Horse grille guard and taillight guards.



"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive"

Last edited by Ted; 16th January 2008 at 05:05 AM.
Ted is offline  
post #45 of 966 Old 16th January 2008, 05:45 AM
Bread
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Bread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 65
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Cool, just in time, when I go to post my problem I see the above posts which seem to be very similar to my problems...by the way if you guys don't mind please keep me posted on the repairs you do and how they work out for you!

Ok, I finally got a Peake FCX 3. I was going to get just an Innova 3100 like Bread said (I like it too!) but I realized one important advantage to the Peake- I'm keeping my M5 for the REST OF MY LIFE and this board is my primary reference for everything M5 and most of the members here have a Peake and when I used the Innova scanner and posted the codes here 1) I couldn't get any conclusive answers to my questions as to what the codes meant 2) I wasn't even able to pinpoint myself what the codes meant after days of research. But I see it all the time, somebody posts a Peake code and boom! 100% response and definitive answers

So I took my new Peake out, actually read all the instructions, checked my SES light, and got the numbers 16 and 71. Book says first number is not a code but the table you use, so I go to table 16, which in turn says "see table 11", ok, I go to table 11, code 71-not present! It simply is not there, I am so confused! I followed the directions, now what? So I go here to get some answers, and read "ignore all tables except table 18, that is the only one that applies to the e39"!!! What?!? My car and my book told me that I need table 16, so what's going on? Am I retarded?

And if I do go by table 18, can somebody please ellaborate on codes 16 and 71 if they do really both count as codes please and what I need to replace...thank you very much!
Yea, that sounds real simiple You've got a new Peake and you're already confused!

FYI, the codes are THE SAME no matter what reader you have. The code 'scanner' simply displays those codes. The only difference is that with the innova you don't need a chart to figure out what code is being tripped. It simply displays the code directly on the screen, rather than displaying a chart refrence number, which corresponds to a code.

Jason

'00 E39 M5, '88 E30 M3, '78 IHC Scout II, '99 Ducati 996
Bread is offline  
post #46 of 966 Old 16th January 2008, 05:53 AM
Ted
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,938
Thanks: 420
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread View Post
Yea, that sounds real simiple You've got a new Peake and you're already confused!

FYI, the codes are THE SAME no matter what reader you have. The code 'scanner' simply displays those codes. The only difference is that with the innova you don't need a chart to figure out what code is being tripped. It simply displays the code directly on the screen, rather than displaying a chart refrence number, which corresponds to a code.
Thanks, but all this I understand because my friend has an Innova and I use it all the time. What I had trouble believing initially was that the Peake would display more detailed BMW specific code explanations but I now understand that it does do that...if you can figure out the stupid innaccurate directions!


2009 Toyota Tundra TRD Black/Gray
aFe cold air intake, aFe throttle body spacer, TRD rear sway bar, HID 6K low beams & fog lights, Recon LED tailgate bar, Recon Auxiliary reverse lights, GoLight Stryker remote control spotlight, JL Audio sound system, Tekonsha brake controller, Line-X on front grill-front bumper-rear bumper-bed, Black Horse grille guard and taillight guards.



"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive"

Last edited by Ted; 16th January 2008 at 05:54 AM.
Ted is offline  
post #47 of 966 Old 16th January 2008, 09:07 PM
whatheheck
Moderator
 
whatheheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,376
Thanks: 4,010
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,307 Posts
Hi Ted.

I actually have a post on this here somewhere. I am just too busy with work right now so I dont have time right now to find it.

Anyway, Yes, I dont know who created the Peake Code Reader user instructions but it is definitely confusing as hell. Similar to you, I read it the first time and scratched my head. WTF. Whoever wrote it should be punished. Most people can write better user directions than that.

Here's a simple user instructions I have created, and a table 18 excel file I saw posted somewhere that I saved. Bottom line, use my instructions/tip sheet, then Table 18 is all you are supposed to use for our E39 M5.

I have placed a printed copy of these inside my Peake Code Reader pouch. Hope this helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
if you can figure out the stupid innaccurate directions!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Peake Reader codes Table 18 for M5 E39.xls (31.5 KB, 1120 views)
File Type: pdf Peake Fault Code Reader Instructions.pdf (10.5 KB, 390 views)

Dan

Last edited by whatheheck; 16th January 2008 at 09:14 PM.
whatheheck is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whatheheck For This Useful Post:
155plus (25th July 2008), jimmythefish (28th May 2009), joshwah1234 (16th July 2009), Ted (18th January 2008)
post #48 of 966 Old 18th January 2008, 05:00 AM
Ted
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,938
Thanks: 420
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
Problem Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck View Post
Hi Ted.

I actually have a post on this here somewhere. I am just too busy with work right now so I dont have time right now to find it.

Anyway, Yes, I dont know who created the Peake Code Reader user instructions but it is definitely confusing as hell. Similar to you, I read it the first time and scratched my head. WTF. Whoever wrote it should be punished. Most people can write better user directions than that.

Here's a simple user instructions I have created, and a table 18 excel file I saw posted somewhere that I saved. Bottom line, use my instructions/tip sheet, then Table 18 is all you are supposed to use for our E39 M5.

I have placed a printed copy of these inside my Peake Code Reader pouch. Hope this helps you.

Problem Update: Even though I read about it a dozen times, I managed to somehow mix up the 6 and the B and so in fact today I realized that my Peake is telling me go to table 1B (not 16) and code 71. Here is what's messed up about this- 1) it should be table 18 and 18 only, right? and 2) there is no code 71 in table 1B.


2009 Toyota Tundra TRD Black/Gray
aFe cold air intake, aFe throttle body spacer, TRD rear sway bar, HID 6K low beams & fog lights, Recon LED tailgate bar, Recon Auxiliary reverse lights, GoLight Stryker remote control spotlight, JL Audio sound system, Tekonsha brake controller, Line-X on front grill-front bumper-rear bumper-bed, Black Horse grille guard and taillight guards.



"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive"
Ted is offline  
post #49 of 966 Old 18th January 2008, 06:16 AM
DouglasABaker
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
DouglasABaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Franklin, MA
Age: 45
Posts: 6,450
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 67
Thanked 2,627 Times in 950 Posts
Seriously, this isn't that complicated.

If the first number (that represents the table) is anything other than 18 then either a) you don't really have an M5, or b) you got a defective Peake.

Send the Peake back, tell them the issue, and get a new one. if the next one has the same problem then I'd do some serious looking into the history of my car...

d-
DouglasABaker is offline  
post #50 of 966 Old 18th January 2008, 06:43 AM
whatheheck
Moderator
 
whatheheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,376
Thanks: 4,010
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,307 Posts
+ 1

For E39 M5, only Table 18 applies. So if you are not getting 18 as the first number, you may have the wrong Peake Reader model or your Peake reader is defective, or there is something wrong with your M5 OBD-II.

Borrow someone's Peake Reader for E39 M5 and if you get the right reading on your friends Peake Reader, then time to return your Peake Reader back to where you purchased it from.

I think you are in New York or DC area but If you live here in Seattle area, you can borrow mine anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasABaker View Post
Seriously, this isn't that complicated.

If the first number (that represents the table) is anything other than 18 then either a) you don't really have an M5, or b) you got a defective Peake.

Send the Peake back, tell them the issue, and get a new one. if the next one has the same problem then I'd do some serious looking into the history of my car...

d-

Dan
whatheheck is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumours about the E39 M5 pre 1998. Gustav F10 M5 Discussion 15 21st October 2009 12:11 AM
Official: BMW M5 Touring + facelift for the 5-series [New pics 16/3] Gustav E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 142 22nd March 2007 05:08 PM
Press Release 1: World premiere of the new BMW M5 (summary of all press releases) Gustav E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 0 4th July 2004 09:13 PM
Rumours about the E39 M5 pre 1998. Gustav Most Memorable Threads' 13 13th August 2002 02:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome