Knowledge base on Peake codes for E39 M5 - Page 2 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
post #11 of 966 Old 23rd July 2007, 06:53 PM
whatheheck
Moderator
 
whatheheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,376
Thanks: 4,010
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,307 Posts
I find my Peake Code Reader manual very difficult to understand. For a simple person like me, I like simple & easy instructions.

So I wrote this below on a word document, printed it and attached it to the pouch of my Peake Reader Tool.

Let me know if I have made an error or my understanding of pulling codes and which table applies for our E39 beasts is incorrect.

Peake Code Reader instructions:


Note: The reader defaults to FC (Fault Code read mode). For pulling fault codes follow simple steps below.

1) Turn engine switch to number II position.
2) Connect Peake Tool to OBD-II connector.
3) Press the GO button.
Write down the first set of digits that appear. These numbers are the table you are supposed to use. (see page 6 - 26 for list of tables.)

For E39 – the only applicable table to use is Table 18. No need to look at the other tables.


4) Press the GO button again. The numbers shown now are your fault codes.
Write down the first digits that appears.


Press GO again to get the next fault code. Write each numbers down.


Repeat this process until -- shows up (end of fault code reading.


5) Take your numbers and look at Table 18 to decipher what the codes mean.

Dan

Last edited by whatheheck; 24th July 2007 at 01:36 PM.
whatheheck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 966 Old 24th July 2007, 01:25 AM
howorks
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
howorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep getting this code.

E8- Evaporative emissions purge valve functional check

What the heck is this? Everything seems to run fine so I just clear it and go.

---
2000 ///M5 Titanium Silver
howorks is offline  
post #13 of 966 Old 24th July 2007, 02:53 AM
Nabio
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Nabio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minnesota
Age: 32
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 140
Thanked 258 Times in 129 Posts
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...ns+purge+valve

That should give you an answer. Also, I'll update that code to become a link above.

If anyone knows good threads for particular codes feel free to PM me links and codes and I'll update the list above.

Black Sapphire Metallic 2012 X5 M
Nabio is offline  
 
post #14 of 966 Old 24th July 2007, 02:55 AM
Wi_KeD_M5
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
Wi_KeD_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Palatine, IL
Age: 47
Posts: 939
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 168
Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howorks View Post
I keep getting this code.

E8- Evaporative emissions purge valve functional check

What the heck is this? Everything seems to run fine so I just clear it and go.
howorks,

I was doing a bit of research on some other OBD codes and I came across a site that had some interesting information regarding the error code you are seeing.

P0440 OBD-II Trouble Code @ OBD-Codes.com

Looking this info, it might be related to the fuel system. If you have filled your gas tank lately, it could be a simple fix by reseating your gas cap. Try this and reset the code and see if this error code comes back. If it does come back, then might want to have your mechanic take a look or perhaps some with a bit more experience could chime in.

Kenny the "D"

///M Power (Wheeeee...)

MY2002 E39 ///M5 Carbon Black (Pictures of Pixie)
MY1997 Honda Accord EX

US Midwest Member List
Wi_KeD_M5 is offline  
post #15 of 966 Old 24th July 2007, 06:16 AM
howorks
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
howorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the link.

since it drives fine... I have just been clearing it. But it keeps coming back. Sometimes in a few days and sometimes a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_KeD_M5 View Post
howorks,

I was doing a bit of research on some other OBD codes and I came across a site that had some interesting information regarding the error code you are seeing.

P0440 OBD-II Trouble Code @ OBD-Codes.com

Looking this info, it might be related to the fuel system. If you have filled your gas tank lately, it could be a simple fix by reseating your gas cap. Try this and reset the code and see if this error code comes back. If it does come back, then might want to have your mechanic take a look or perhaps some with a bit more experience could chime in.

---
2000 ///M5 Titanium Silver
howorks is offline  
post #16 of 966 Old 25th July 2007, 01:12 AM
jcrist
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
jcrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lynchburg
Posts: 868
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just got Codes 90, 91 and b3. At the track about 2 weeks ago they had run out of 93 and I filled up 1 and 1/2 times with 100. When I told a tech at the dealership he metioned that my o2's should have gone crazy.
Went back to the track this weekend and used 93 all weekend, car ran great. I have driven it only 20 miles other than back and forth to the track (150 miles total). After the track I drove to DC (3 hours) and back. On the way back, the SES light came on and I got these codes.
Has to have been the gas, I will edit this post after I run it by the dealer and get their input.

JCrist
97 M3/328 JP/GTS2 #360
01 Beast EveryBMW Silver
jcrist is offline  
post #17 of 966 Old 25th July 2007, 03:24 AM
garyb
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
garyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NorCal, CA
Posts: 168
Thanks: 13
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I got the dreaded SES and checked the code: AE - “Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #1-4”

I cleaned my MAFs this past weekend and the light came on again. My car is a 2000 with 40K on it (original plugs and MAFs). I found a post that referenced that it might take a couple hundred miles for the engine to adjust. Should I wait out the two hundred miles to see if the problem goes away or move on to replacing MAFs, plugs and/or pre-cat 02 sensors?

Car runs fine accept when it's first started. Acts like it is running on 2 cylinders for the first minute or so. Then she runs fine after a quick warm-up.
garyb is offline  
post #18 of 966 Old 30th July 2007, 06:45 PM
jjc1843
Senior Member (>500)
 
jjc1843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Age: 60
Posts: 530
Thanks: 35
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
I got the dreaded SES and checked the code: AE - “Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #1-4”

I cleaned my MAFs this past weekend and the light came on again. My car is a 2000 with 40K on it (original plugs and MAFs). I found a post that referenced that it might take a couple hundred miles for the engine to adjust. Should I wait out the two hundred miles to see if the problem goes away or move on to replacing MAFs, plugs and/or pre-cat 02 sensors?

Car runs fine accept when it's first started. Acts like it is running on 2 cylinders for the first minute or so. Then she runs fine after a quick warm-up.
Gary:

You probably really need new MAF's. Cleaning will help for a little while; and yes adaptation takes probably about 100 miles or so.

Plugs are close to thier replacement interval, 50K miles. Suggest you replace them also.

This is a high tech engine folks. Everything in the combustion chain must work correctly to get full performance.

Air Filters, Gas Filter, MAF's, plugs and O2 senesors all have to pretty good to get 400HP.

Joe

'00 E39 S62 ///M5 Carbon Black/Caramel

[Sold and Sorely Missed]

AA CAI
UFM IATS Relocation Kit
SuperSprint Headers
Bassani Racing Cats-Custom Tubing
Tubi Cat Back System
Powerchip 93
UUC Lightweight Flywheel
UUC Stage III Clutch
Rogue Engineering Tranny Mounts
3.45 Diff KMS Ring & Pinion Swap
TC Designs Rear Swaybar Brackets
Royal Purple Syncromax Tranny Fluid
UUC SSK
UUC DSSR


'95 525i Black/Parchment 195K Eibach/Billstien/Power Chip [Sold!!!!]

Last edited by jjc1843; 30th July 2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typo
jjc1843 is offline  
post #19 of 966 Old 1st August 2007, 05:16 AM
garyb
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
garyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NorCal, CA
Posts: 168
Thanks: 13
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks Joe.

Looks like I'll be replacing all of the items you've identified. My car went into limp mode today. The peake showed the following fault codes:

06 - Timeout SMG-CAN
A2 - “Crankshaft/Camshaft position correlation, Cyl #5-8”
AE - “Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #1-4”
AF - “Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #5-8”

Based on these codes, is there a way to tell which CPS is bad (left or right intake - or - left or right exhaust)?

Gary

Last edited by garyb; 1st August 2007 at 06:46 AM.
garyb is offline  
post #20 of 966 Old 3rd August 2007, 05:42 PM
verhagke
Member, P500 Sport, DSC On (>700)
 
verhagke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 714
Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
Thanks Joe.

Looks like I'll be replacing all of the items you've identified. My car went into limp mode today. The peake showed the following fault codes:

06 - Timeout SMG-CAN
A2 - “Crankshaft/Camshaft position correlation, Cyl #5-8”
AE - “Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #1-4”
AF - “Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #5-8”

Based on these codes, is there a way to tell which CPS is bad (left or right intake - or - left or right exhaust)?

Gary
Gary, I think your 06 code may actually be a 0b code (see IanS's post at top of this thread)

0B - “Exhaust camshaft position sensor, Cyl #5-8”

makes more sense. cyl 5-8 is on the left side btw. (driver's side in US)
verhagke is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumours about the E39 M5 pre 1998. Gustav F10 M5 Discussion 15 21st October 2009 12:11 AM
Official: BMW M5 Touring + facelift for the 5-series [New pics 16/3] Gustav E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 142 22nd March 2007 05:08 PM
Press Release 1: World premiere of the new BMW M5 (summary of all press releases) Gustav E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 0 4th July 2004 09:13 PM
Rumours about the E39 M5 pre 1998. Gustav Most Memorable Threads' 13 13th August 2002 02:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome