Track tires vs burn my streets? - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 19th February 2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
DrDave
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
DrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track tires vs burn my streets?

So I've been fretting over the details of another set of tires for the track - I appreciate all the help I've gotten here, but also was wondering if I'm going down the right road in the first place. Anyone have experiences / thought on whether it's even worth buying a separate set of wheels /tires to just use on the occasional track day so as not to burn my daily street tires up so badly, vs just using my daily drivers up more quickly? THe first weekend I spent at the track I took my L front down to almost nothing on the shoulder but figure the tire would otherwise still have a lot of good miles on it...

Dave
DrDave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 19th February 2006, 06:38 PM
Roy
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kindsbach Germany
Posts: 364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run street legal Track tires all year. I only put Comp tires on for the really tough competitor events.

Roy
98 SSSSSS
Roy is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 19th February 2006, 06:41 PM
gobuffs
Fellow Member (>400)
 
gobuffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
Posts: 443
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on how many track events you have been to. it is good to learn on street tires b/c stickier tires will mask errors. Onyl go to track only tires when you have reached the limits of street tires.
gobuffs is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 19th February 2006, 07:55 PM
trackstar
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
trackstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OR
Posts: 260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs
Depends on how many track events you have been to. it is good to learn on street tires b/c stickier tires will mask errors. Onyl go to track only tires when you have reached the limits of street tires.
I agree completely. Also if you are only doing a handful of HPDEs per year you shouldn't be burning through tires, in my experience they hold up pretty well, unless you are all over the place. Although I have never tracked a car as heavy as the E39, time will tell.

BMWCCA member#306145
2000 ///M5
M-technic spoiler, B&B exhaust, Dinan rear sway bar, Stoptech BBK, Carbotech pads, Hella euro AE headlights.
"I am a professional driver. This is a closed course."
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a pretty, well preserved body. The goal is to skid in broadside, tires smoking, body all dented, leaking fluids, gas gauge on empty, throughly used up and worn out, proclaiming, "Holy sh!t, what a ride!"
trackstar is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 20th February 2006, 12:32 AM
gsfent
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
gsfent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: west palm beach. fl.
Posts: 12,748
Thanks: 2,306
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs
Depends on how many track events you have been to. it is good to learn on street tires b/c stickier tires will mask errors. Onyl go to track only tires when you have reached the limits of street tires.
Big heavy cars are very tough on tires. If you are doing 3 or 4 events a year, you are better off with dedicated wheels and tires. If you don't want R tires for the track to learn, that is OK, but they will certainly help. Not only do they stick better, but more importantly they last much longer because they are doing what they are designed to do.
If you really want to learn how to drive on the track, an M5 is not the right car. Get an E30 M3 or other low horsepower car and you will learn much faster.
Regards,
Jerry

'01 Black/caramel
Dinan Stage 3 suspension, SS jet coated headers, ESS SC kit w/ 1 range colder NGK's, 92mm pulley, 440 Big Greens, TTFS alpha N tune for meth, RK plenum plates, SBC Endurance Stage 3 Kevlar performance clutch setup, "Jed" lightened DMFW, open brake ducts, TEC cupholder, U.S.(Euro style) tilt/slide armrest, 6k HID fogs, Umnitza bi-xenon flamethrowers w/6k super white low beams, rear fogs, V1/Stealth1, dual head LI, 2.65 diff w/40% lockup/2x dynamic, compact spare, M5 logo trunk carpet, Euro trailer hitch, Mocal oil cooler, ACS type rear spoiler, Rogue custom SSK and tranny mounts, ST 355 BBK (fronts), BP sway bar brackets, Bluetooth retrofit, Speedhut boost gauge (20 psi), Dinan TB's and VS, KB BAP, Howerton/HFS-3 Aquamist WI trunk setup (50/50), with 2nd gauge in rear view mirror, aftermarket trunk mounted sound system integrated into stock unit (amps, crossovers, sub and speakers).......
gsfent is online now  
post #6 of 23 Old 20th February 2006, 01:08 AM
Teutonaddict
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
Teutonaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 2,679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfent
Big heavy cars are very tough on tires. If you are doing 3 or 4 events a year, you are better off with dedicated wheels and tires. If you don't want R tires for the track to learn, that is OK, but they will certainly help. Not only do they stick better, but more importantly they last much longer because they are doing what they are designed to do.
If you really want to learn how to drive on the track, an M5 is not the right car. Get an E30 M3 or other low horsepower car and you will learn much faster
I agree with Jerry--all except for that last sentence! I learned the hard way at Sebring. Found a screw in my tire when I was inspecting my car for my very first HPDE at Oktoberfest a few years back ('98/'99?). So I installed a brand-spanking-new tire Front Left the night before the event. Now Sebring is notoriously hard on rubber, and sure enough, by the end of the event that Left Front tire looked like it'd done 30K miles, plus the edges were beat!! It was at that point--realizing I was doomed to begin doing these HPDE's more frequently--that I decided on a dedicated track setup.

Now, as for learning how to drive on the track, I'm one of those who DID learn in a big ol' E39--in that case my '98 540i/6. While it won't teach you how as well as an E30 might, there's no denying how much fun it is to wring the daylights out of your daily driver and then return her to commuting duty the following Monday. So here's at least one vote for starting in whatever vehicle got you there...."Dance with who brung ya" as a great man once said!

-Dave

BOTH SOLD!!
'00 Carbon Black/Black All-Leather/Sportive
'01 Imola Red/Black 740i Sport
#101421

Kinesis K-58s full polish ~ StopTech 355mm BBK ~ KW var.2 coilovers ~ Dinan 17mm adj. rear swaybar ~ SuperSprint exhaust and X-pipe ~ UUC s/s and Rogue tranny mounts ~ a/d/s/ 2x10” a-series subwoofer ~ MTX Class D monobloc sub amp ~ MBQuart component drivers ~ Hardwired V1 & BCT-12 ~ Schroth Rallye 4 harnessbelts ~ M-Technic brake ducts ~ Angel Eyes
NOW: '05 X5 4.8is Sapphire Black/Black Nappa
Teutonaddict is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 20th February 2006, 01:12 AM
Lscman
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 4,515
Thanks: 22
Thanked 713 Times in 375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave
So I've been fretting over the details of another set of tires for the track - I appreciate all the help I've gotten here, but also was wondering if I'm going down the right road in the first place. Anyone have experiences / thought on whether it's even worth buying a separate set of wheels /tires to just use on the occasional track day so as not to burn my daily street tires up so badly, vs just using my daily drivers up more quickly? THe first weekend I spent at the track I took my L front down to almost nothing on the shoulder but figure the tire would otherwise still have a lot of good miles on it...

Dave
Dave,

If you tore the shoulder off your street tires, the shoulder will be torn off track tires even FASTER!!! Your problem is too much understeer and too much postive camber. Your tires are hardly relevant.
Lscman is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 20th February 2006, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
DrDave
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
DrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...

THanks all - I do need to think about having the camber checked / adjusted, and I'm very into the idea of driving her like crazy on the weekend track event and then feeling better about myself when I'm stuck with her in traffic commuting the rest of the month. I realize it's a helluva heavy car to track, but with the pwer she's got you can keep up with most cars out there respectably well. I've heard a lot of great feedback about the PS2s from the gang here and am planning on getting some - just can't figure out what to have them mounted on...hencde my other posts asking for advice on wheels...
Dave
DrDave is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 20th February 2006, 01:56 PM
CSBM5
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
CSBM5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 60
Posts: 7,463
Thanks: 1,641
Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave
THanks all - I do need to think about having the camber checked / adjusted, and I'm very into the idea of driving her like crazy on the weekend track event and then feeling better about myself when I'm stuck with her in traffic commuting the rest of the month. I realize it's a helluva heavy car to track, but with the pwer she's got you can keep up with most cars out there respectably well. I've heard a lot of great feedback about the PS2s from the gang here and am planning on getting some - just can't figure out what to have them mounted on...hencde my other posts asking for advice on wheels...
Dave
Camber is not adjustable up front without aftermarket camber plates (I think stock front camber is around -0.5 degrees and fixed). I'm running Dinan springs/Konis/rear bar and, most importantly, Ground Control camber plates up front, so I can get close to 2.5 degrees negative camber for track days. This one thing makes all the difference both in front tire wear and especially in grip.

Current stable:

2019 M2 Competition 6MT LBB, slicktop
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT Silverstone, slicktop: Dinan front swaybar, Eibach rear swaybar, pins-out-max-camber-up-front, Dinan exhaust, Michelin PS4S, Apex EC-7 9.5/10.5x19
2007 328i wagon Silver/gray: Eibach 28mm front swaybar, E93 M3 rear swaybar, 219M M3 wheels, Michelin PSAS3+
1975 CanAm 125MX2: Stock, original owner

Last edited by CSBM5; 20th February 2006 at 07:42 PM.
CSBM5 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 20th February 2006, 03:50 PM
ccieurzo
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
ccieurzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 230
Thanks: 18
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
One other thing to consider is how you are getting home. If you are planning on driving the car to and from the track, it makes sense to have 2 sets of wheels and tires in case you cord the tires at the track. I did that once on street tires and had a pretty nervous ride home. Fortunately the tire held up and I did not have far to go. That being said, I would recommend against going with ultra sticky R-compounds if this is your first time using them. They can behave very differently at the limit than street tires depending on the brand. The Toyo RA1 is a good choice for a well behaved, relatively long lasting R compound.
ccieurzo is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autocar: M5 beats Ferrari F430 Just_me E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 204 10th October 2007 04:24 PM
Heat Cycle for track tires? tripleD E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 4 9th October 2005 01:26 AM
WEEKEND TRACK REPORT: Agricultural Driving, Airborne & Ghost Cars--Advice??? Anita E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 8 10th July 2004 09:16 AM
track rims and tires, need input Jeff L E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 0 25th June 2000 07:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome