Good morning, everyone.
I purchased the following vehicle on Saturday: https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/ca...2-500-obo.html
The transaction went as smoothly as possible, and Juan was a stand-up guy.
There is a list of things I need to do to get this thing back to 100% OEM working condition. I'm looking for human insight beyond what's in the FAQ, as I'll be diving into many of these issues in the coming weeks. A little background: I'm no stranger to working on cars. My daily is a 470hp Cadillac, my weekend warrior is a 350whp turbo Integra GSR, and my previous build was a 420whp 3rd gen Mazda Rx7 with a 6.0 liter LS2, fully built from the ground up, for which I did all the work myself - down to the wiring. I'm very mechanically inclined. I also previously had an e92 335is making 405 whp, so this isn't my first BMW.
With that said, this is my first E39 and I'm already discovering lots of gremlins, which is to be expected for a car that represented a technological leap from the previous generation.
The following list is of things that need to be fixed, and I plan to research and dive right in, so please let me know if you have some quick insight:
1) Front steering is very loose, including hollow thuds and clunks over bumps, and pulling during breaking. Solution: I ordered the 6-piece control arm kit from FCP Euro https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e396piecekit-l Any other insight?
2) ABS Trifecta of lights (ABS/DSC/Brake). Solution: I plan to remove the ABS module and inspect it for soldering joint breaks. Re-solder as needed. Any other ideas?
3) Glove box handle won't open. Solution: Replace entire handle. Any ideas on getting the glove box open with a broken handle? I've tried resetting the locking mechanism by locking/unlocking with the key and pushing up to relieve pressure on the handle while trying to open, no dice. Do I need to dremel this thing off?
4) Central locking control not functional, buttons on keys do not lock/unlock, main lock/unlock button in cabin does not work, must lock/unlock vehicle by inserting key, key is NOT dead. Insight on solutions? I've checked fuse 53 in the trunk and it is functional. I'm unable to check fuses in glovebox since it's locked shut. I've confirmed the fuel door mechanism is NOT functioning as it should (does not lock/unlock with the rest of the car when I use the key manually), and I've read that mechanism could be the culprit, however, fuse 53 is not shorting out. Anything else to check before I replace the fuel door locking mechanism?
5) Driver side headlight leveling is way too low. Ideas on a quick fix? I haven't looked into this yet, so I don't know if this car comes with auto leveling or manual adjustment, etc, but I'm hoping there are adjustment screws that I can use to get the headlight leveling fixed.
6) Rear window shade arms are stuck up (shade not connected) and rear window shade button does not seem to work. After reading about all of the issues with the rear window shade, I plan to deactivate the system completely. However, any ideas on getting the arms to go back down? Is this a mechanical or an electronic issue?
7) Driver side rear quarter window shade lost tension and will not retract. Ideas?
8) Touchy throttle, this is exacerbated in sport mode. Ideas? This seems to be a common problem, and I'm hoping it is not associated with the MAFs and is simply a software issue. I plan to do a Shark 91 Octane tune with Euro Throttle, is this an appropriate fix?
Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Your will will go a long way in getting this old girl back to 100%.
Thanks, and I look forward to being a member of this board.