New LED Projector Fog Lights in E39 M5 (and M-Sport) Fitment
Evan, one of your resident automotive lighting nerds here. I wanted to bring to your attention a nice product in the Morimoto xB LED projector fog lights which is now made in E39-specific fitment. It will fit E39 M-sport, M5, and E46 M3 bumpers.
These units have been around for a few years and I have used them in various automotive and headlight projects. To be completely I am not a huge fan of most Morimoto stuff like their bulbs and ballasts, they are "good" and do offer a compelling value proposition for those on a budget but the performance and reliability can't compete with OEM components and sacrificing performance and reliability are not something I am interested in doing.
These fog lights however have impressed me with their small footprint, effective output, and reliability. These also come with a 10 year warranty which is nice peace of mind.
I have put together a Group Buy for these fog lights which can be seen here. There is good interest so we are getting 20% off. I am running the group buy for ~2 more weeks so now is the time to hop on for the discount.
More Group Buy Info Here: https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...5-fitment.html
Stock fogs leave a lot to be desired, people add LED or HID bulbs into them but those bulbs are not intended for a reflective halogen housing and with the mismatched optics light is thrown everywhere (glare) which isn't pleasant for oncoming traffic and the light isn't very useful for the drive as it isn't controlled and often creates excessive foreground (the light immediately in front of the vehicle) which can actually impede your vision. I am guilty of doing this myself when I was younger and less educated about automotive lighting. Through my research and testing these xb LED fogs are the best performing option on the market with proprietary optics offering a controlled and fog-specific beam pattern.
Here are some pictures!
Output (Pics borrowed from The Retrofit Source)
This (blurry) picture is showing the control of the beam pattern, this is when I had a non-M bumper and like the projector fogs so much I actually retrofitted these into my oem E39 housings.
2008 N54-Powered E61 M5 Wagon: ~600whp ~600wtq
- AWD-RWD Conversion, OEM M5 Drivetrain Retrofit, Manual Trans Swap, Spec 3+ Clutch, MFactory SMFW
- OEM M5 Brakes, KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC 19x9.5 19x11, Hankook V12
- Hexon RR550 Hybrid Turbos, Custom Turbo Inlets, AR DP, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC,
- BMS JB4, E85 Flash, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, EOS Port Injection Manifold, Custom 3" Exhaust
- OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders (Vents Deleted), OEM M5 Skirts, OEM M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear Bumper
- Quad Projector Headlights, Custom Tail Lights, Rigid SR 6" Reverse Light, Full LED Interior/Exterior Lighting