As promised, more on the interior I think at this point I would consider interior 99% finished Im still waiting for fresh set of floormats and a tiny black cover that goes over the screw in the rear door handle.
Other than that, its all done. I might change instrument cluster to a correct black one at some point later on, but right now this is not a priority.
So, both rear and passenger side rear quarter window sunshades were not functioning right. In the case of door shade, it was a typical problem with the plate holding the tab being broken, as was evidenced by the attempted fix by somebody else once I removed the shade:
I have reinforced the tab with some hot glue, wound back the spring, and re-installed the shade back on the door. Works great again!
The rear shade motor was working fine, but the culprit of these mechanisms was always those tiny plastic tabs that slide in the shade rail, they ALWAYS break off. Pretty weak design by BMW if you ask me. Of course, mine were broken off when I purchased the car, and the guides were sticking up (and tore up holes in the tint on the back window!)
What I have discovered when I started looking at the shade itself, was that one of the rollers on the driver side was missing as well.
So, I have ordered OEM roller set, but for the tabs I decided to go with something a little sturdier than OEM a precision CNC-machined set of tabs with allen screws and lock nuts made from aluminum. Pretty much guarantees I never have to deal with this problem ever again on this car.
Both showed up last night and I have installed both to fix the shade. CNC tabs are absolutely awesome product highly recommended. Fit great, feel even better if anyone wants details on eBay seller PM me. They were $37 shipped so not too bad compared to OEM plastic junk.
The trickiest part was to drill out the old rivets, which I have accomplished by sliding a piece of wood under the old guide rail to avoid putting my drill bit through the window.
Once both sides were drilled out, I have used 6mm socket and a 3/32 allen wrench to lock the new aluminum tabs in place.
After that, it was just a matter of screwing the rollers back on the rail, and making sure the tabs are greased properly. It lives rear sunshade is back in business hopefully for good.
Finally, I have tackled the notorious front cupholder. Just replaced the broken one with the OEM I got cheap on eBay. I never going to use it anyway, but wanted this fixed.
With the interior complete, I plan to switch over to the underhood/engine area and replace windshield cowl, some firewall covers that have completely disintegrated, plus address few other minor issues there as well. Stay tuned!