Morimoto H7 LED Highbeams *Writeup* - Page 5 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 52 Old 28th December 2018, 01:03 PM
BarryM
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hayling Island
Posts: 218
Thanks: 18
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinnga View Post
Barry for the main the best thing for now is changing out the projectors and using the Morimoto bulbs.

I am hearing this projector and a direct bolt on.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...ni-h1-7-0.html
Thanks for the pointer, do you have any experience of those fitting in the E39 housing (or a write up). I'm aware of the EvoX-R and FX-R projectors fitting and someone in the UK has recently installed Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 but I can't find anything E39 specific for those mini H1 7.0s - are they any better than the other options?
BarryM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 52 Old 28th December 2018, 03:12 PM
Marvinnga
Member
 
Marvinnga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
Thanks for the pointer, do you have any experience of those fitting in the E39 housing (or a write up). I'm aware of the EvoX-R and FX-R projectors fitting and someone in the UK has recently installed Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 but I can't find anything E39 specific for those mini H1 7.0s - are they any better than the other options?
My apologies BarryM,

The correct ones used for our E39's are the EvoX-R I think they have a 2.0 version of the EvoX as well that does not fit that well.
Marvinnga is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Marvinnga For This Useful Post:
BarryM (29th December 2018)
post #43 of 52 Old 31st December 2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
ChrisSKillaZ
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
Thanks for the pointer, do you have any experience of those fitting in the E39 housing (or a write up). I'm aware of the EvoX-R and FX-R projectors fitting and someone in the UK has recently installed Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 but I can't find anything E39 specific for those mini H1 7.0s - are they any better than the other options?
I just installed the Mini D2S and it was plug and play, output is awesome.

Chris

2002 BMW M5
2003 BMW 540iA Sport
2002 Pontiac Trans am WS6
Morimoto H7 LED High Beam Install Writeup/DIY
ChrisSKillaZ is offline  
 
post #44 of 52 Old 31st December 2018, 11:28 AM
Marvinnga
Member
 
Marvinnga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can anyone help, do we still have to grind down the E39 socket for these to fit? Or can we buy adapters for them that will fit perfectly ?

If so shoot me a link to them.

Thanks
Marvinnga is offline  
post #45 of 52 Old 31st December 2018, 01:16 PM
BarryM
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hayling Island
Posts: 218
Thanks: 18
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSKillaZ View Post
I just installed the Mini D2S and it was plug and play, output is awesome
We did a side by side comparison with my standard xenons and one thing that surprised me is the mini D2S don't seem to give a much greater 'throw' on low beam but on high beam the bi-xenons blow the OEM lights away but most times I'm running round on low beams as I presume most other people are, so whilst an improvement perhaps not as much as I was hoping for. I'll post up some example photos when I get a chance.
BarryM is offline  
post #46 of 52 Old 31st December 2018, 02:27 PM
Marvinnga
Member
 
Marvinnga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
We did a side by side comparison with my standard xenons and one thing that surprised me is the mini D2S don't seem to give a much greater 'throw' on low beam but on high beam the bi-xenons blow the OEM lights away but most times I'm running round on low beams as I presume most other people are, so whilst an improvement perhaps not as much as I was hoping for. I'll post up some example photos when I get a chance.
BarryM,

You are not using the H7's ?
Marvinnga is offline  
post #47 of 52 Old 31st December 2018, 04:20 PM
BarryM
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hayling Island
Posts: 218
Thanks: 18
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinnga View Post
You are not using the H7's ?
I think H7 LEDs would be a nice addition for main beam but I'm also keen on some decent bi-xenons which I was comparing like for like. Having seen the mini D2S on main beam I don't think the H7 LEDs will have the same penetration
BarryM is offline  
post #48 of 52 Old 31st December 2018, 04:34 PM
Marvinnga
Member
 
Marvinnga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
I think H7 LEDs would be a nice addition for main beam but I'm also keen on some decent bi-xenons which I was comparing like for like. Having seen the mini D2S on main beam I don't think the H7 LEDs will have the same penetration
But they are brighter as High beams right ?

What about a good spread for the low beams ?
Marvinnga is offline  
post #49 of 52 Old 1st January 2019, 10:35 PM
BarryM
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hayling Island
Posts: 218
Thanks: 18
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinnga View Post
But they are brighter as High beams right ?

What about a good spread for the low beams ?
I don't have the LED bulbs but on the basis they're fitted to the OEM main reflector I don't think they will be as good as the bi-xenon main, here's 2 photos showing dip and main with the OEM xenon & halogen H7 and the second photo is the mini D2s with main beam:

Name:  Paint OEM xenons + main halogen spread.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  155.8 KB
Attached Images
 
BarryM is offline  
post #50 of 52 Old 2nd January 2019, 11:51 AM
Marvinnga
Member
 
Marvinnga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
I don't have the LED bulbs but on the basis they're fitted to the OEM main reflector I don't think they will be as good as the bi-xenon main, here's 2 photos showing dip and main with the OEM xenon & halogen H7 and the second photo is the mini D2s with main beam:

Attachment 883462
Both shots look nice,

The 2nd one looks like it can spread more light of distance.
Marvinnga is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light Upgrades | E39 Non-Bakeable | G4 Bi-Xenons, Morimoto, New Adjusters, New Lens, New LED AE rings auaq E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 3 16th May 2017 10:06 PM
E39 For Sale: Morimoto 5five d2s hid xenon headlights bulbs 50w 6000k gbmwpower Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 3 15th October 2013 11:43 PM
Do Highbeams On Kick off Fog Lights? synacide E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 22 24th November 2007 11:10 PM
HELP!! Major problem with Highbeams!! dNA3D GTBoard.com: General Sportscars 3 10th June 2003 07:37 PM
HID 4 HighBeams ? BM5VIUS E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 4 25th March 2002 05:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome