After losing a few pounds due to food poisoning on Thursday night, Friday was full of relaxation and hydration. It also meant 1 less day to finish the valve cover gaskets. Saturday rolls around and I start with installing the coil packs.
Pretty straightforward, but fate tried to mess with me. I bought 8 new ones and all of them had a 2016 production date. Except 1.
I randomly chose them from the box as I was installing them in order, and right when I was about to install it in the #8 slot, I noticed the one in my hand had an earlier build date. Can't make this stuff up! I know there shouldn't be any difference in terms of shelf life, but after going through the last ordeal of getting the stuck boot in #8, I wasn't taking any chances. Screw you fate.
Once that was all done, started with the passenger side cover. I even went out and bought Glycerin to appease both Gavin and the BMW TIS.
New gaskets for the beauty covers.
I had to wait 4 weeks to get this Drei Bond sealant (I know others use gray Permatex). The label made a solid job of mentioning how this can cause cancer.
Eventually got both covers installed. Looks niiiiiiice.
Then onto other areas.
Replaced the oil filter housing rubber mounts.
Throttle bodies open for cleaning. There was a decent amount of carbon buildup on the lower surface of the plates, but it wasn't too bad at all when I looked inside. Looks like it's been driven hard enough over the years to help minimize that.
New check valve and vacuum hoses.
More vacuum line replacement. The white plastic tube also had a 4-week lead time. Probably didn't need to replace that...
I bought a new fuel tank breather valve but I wasn't able to get the old one off. Partly due to fatigue, partly due to not having sufficient so I just left it for now.
The 3 hoses that attach to the manifold aren't sold separately but they're not special. Thanks to research by
, I replaced them with 3/8" fuel line just as
Got new oil separators, associated hoses, and gaskets for the plenum.
While looking down in the abyss, I noticed what at first appeared to be skinny, dead rollie pollies. Turns out it's pieces of the plastic protection tubing that are flaking off. Wondering what I should use to replace them...
Wanted to clean the velocity stacks and was looking for something curvy and flexible. Fuel lines can be so versatile.
Got the plenum back on, torqued all 33 bolts, put velocity stack #1 on aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand stop.
Apparently I had gotten overzealous with tightening the hose clamp on the throttle body gasket for cylinder #2, causing the rubber to invade the personal space of the post, preventing me from getting the base of the velocity stack on.
I took off the plenum, loosened the hose clamp on the bottom of the gasket and we're good!
Did some general cleaning along the way.
Started torquing everything down, first to 5 Nm, then to 10 Nm.
I ended up breaking pieces of the air duct base that gets locked into the firewall during removal. I tried to repair them, but no dice when I put them back in. The plastic is too tired now. Since it's captured with the cabin filter housing, I decided to leave them. They're not cheap to replace either. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I replaced the oil filter (it's only been 5 months but might as well at this point) and started filling her up.
Hooked up the battery again and it started up with NO ISSUES at all! Checked underneath the car and all was dry:
I was expecting smoke based on the oil in the plug valleys but no...just your good ol' condensation.
At this point I'm letting the car idle and warm up a bit while I'm nervously looking for leaks. Then I get inside to rev it...
Turned off the car, got back down on the ground and started wiping up the oil, and had this view for the next few minutes...
I know this isn't the end of the world or anything, it just sucks after 4 weeks of buildup.
On the plus side, the passenger side looks to be nice and dry. I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong...
It did take me 3 attempts to get the driver's side to fall in place and as far as I could see with a mirror, the half-moons were seated properly and I used the same amount of sealant as the other side. However I did have more trouble getting a couple of the nuts started that were closer to the firewall, so I'm guessing the corner (where there's no visibility) didn't make adequate contact or maybe it got pulled out of the slot in the cover and got pinched.
New gaskets and nylock nuts for the velocity stacks ordered. The saga continues.