I believe you have to clearance that section of the shift carrier. I used to have both the UUC SSK and DSSR - it was mentioned in the instructions for one or the other.
I had heard there had been some clearance issues with M5s years ago. I think some owners did grind down the carrier. But in this case I would be hesitant to grind off that much of the carrier. Perhaps the Dinan ssk does not sit as low as the UUC ssk. Rontgen
, how long ago did you have the DSSR? Do you remember if you had as much interference as is pictured here?
I installed a DSSR on my 530 back in 2011 to go along with the UUC ssk. I had read of some e39 owners having clearance issues so I called UUC prior to my install. They said that was a problem years ago on the M5s only and it would not be an issue (if memory serves I believe they also said the DSSR had been redesigned).
In any case after the DSSR install I could not shift into reverse, all the other gears were fine. The DSSR was just slightly hitting the underside of the carrier when trying to shift into reverse. The fix was to just grind a couple mm off the carrier. But it was only a couple mm
. It was actually initially very hard to tell there was even contact, it took a while to figure out what the problem was.
your interference looks much more severe than mine, but it is a little hard to tell form that pic. I do know that the I6 carrier is a different part # from the V8 cars (540s and M5s seem to share the same part # 25111222726). Perhaps other M5/540 owners who installed a DSSR can chime in and say of they had more or less clearance than you.
might also be correct and the pivot ball may not be completely seated causing the lower attachment point to sit too high, which could be causing the DSSR to hit the carrier.
It may also be worth it to double check with UUC to make sure they shipped the correct part, perhaps there was a mix up.
As far as your question on how to grind down the carrier. Some people just used a dremel and ground it down while still on the car. On my car we had pulled things apart again in the process of trying to figure out what was going on, so we just ended up using a bench grinder on the part of the carrier that was marked up from contact. I am not sure what the official UUC method is.