Here we go again.. E38 M7 project. Alpine white/38k - Page 47 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 439Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #461 of 537 Old 3rd October 2018, 07:32 AM
dannyzabolotny
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
dannyzabolotny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 379
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Garage
Man, you must get in and out of the car super carefully... after 2 years and 40k miles with my 540it, my stock tan seats are missing a lot of dye and have a ton of large cracks and black spots that refuse to clean up no matter how much I try. I destroy seats, so my next set will be black to hide the wear a little better.

2000 540i Touring - current DD
2000 M5 - sold
dannyzabolotny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #462 of 537 Old 3rd October 2018, 04:22 PM
GillianB
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 93
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
GillianB is offline  
post #463 of 537 Old 4th October 2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
RVAE34
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 816
Thanks: 56
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
Man, you must get in and out of the car super carefully... after 2 years and 40k miles with my 540it, my stock tan seats are missing a lot of dye and have a ton of large cracks and black spots that refuse to clean up no matter how much I try. I destroy seats, so my next set will be black to hide the wear a little better.
I am careful getting in and out of all my cars. Side bolster wear is the worst. I also grab the trim around the window to shut the door so as not to use the grab handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianB View Post
How did you do the black fabric on the door cards? Did you redo it with new fabric?
It's stock black E38 door panel inserts installed into the sand/beige trim which was dyed caramel. I used black door card carpet inserts, black carpet, Black seat bases, black upper dash and black alcantara headliner. I did the same in my old E39 M5 interior. I thought that interior was perfection so I tried to recreate it in the E38.

RVAE34 is offline  
 
post #464 of 537 Old 9th October 2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
RVAE34
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 816
Thanks: 56
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
I ordered the Turner mono ball arms for the front and am trying to decide what to do with the tuning. Tune as is with stock M5 manifolds, cats and E38 stock exhaust cats back or go with headers, custom exhaust and then tune for maximum performance. Just not sure how far they can take it with the stock stuff. I would upgrade the fuel pump no matter what. My biggest problem is that although I thought I wanted a more aggressive exhaust tone, I have really grown accustomed to the silence. Which also makes it a better sleeper.

Last edited by RVAE34; 9th October 2018 at 10:56 PM.
RVAE34 is offline  
post #465 of 537 Old 10th October 2018, 12:03 AM
BWM
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 340
Thanks: 33
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
I ordered the Turner mono ball arms for the front and am trying to decide what to do with the tuning. Tune as is with stock M5 manifolds, cats and E38 stock exhaust cats back or go with headers, custom exhaust and then tune for maximum performance. Just not sure how far they can take it with the stock stuff. I would upgrade the fuel pump no matter what. My biggest problem is that although I thought I wanted a more aggressive exhaust tone, I have really grown accustomed to the silence. Which also makes it a better sleeper.
You know better than me that stock system is fine as long you stay NA. Arguably, it's going to support forced induction as already proven. But I hate the fact that BMW left some HP harnessed by using exhaust manifold that originally was supporting small 3.0 L V8 in European E39 / E38. Add the fact that at H-pipe and other section it's really choked, there lies one of my reasons building my own setup. Plus, I'm loosing about 60+ lbs and sound is amazing with Supersprint headers and HJS 200 cell race cats.
I'm only getting 40 HP at best with this setup but if I ever decide to go forced induction, it's ready:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-you-guys.html
So, if you want to stay quiet and save money, I'd stick with OEM.

Last edited by BWM; 10th October 2018 at 12:04 AM.
BWM is offline  
post #466 of 537 Old 18th October 2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
RVAE34
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 816
Thanks: 56
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Monoballs installed. Feels great! Much sharper and more precise. I can even feel the difference turning the wheel while parked. I do notice what seems to be a 10-15% increase in NVH but not bothersome by any means. I do still feel like I have an extremely subtle vibration at about 60 that I had hoped would go away. I did only take it for a short drive though and the ultimate test will be driving it to work. If the issue still persists, I plan to do the center drag link, pitman arm and tie rods next. I already had my wheels/tires balanced again so that isn't the issue. I would find it unlikely to be wheel bearing related either with only 51k miles on the car.
RVAE34 is offline  
post #467 of 537 Old 10th November 2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
RVAE34
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 816
Thanks: 56
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Vibration seems to be gone. Have only driven it 3 times since the weather has been poor here but it's been a blast when I do. It's about time to swap back to the M pars before she gets parked for the winter.

Keep your eyes peeled for the January issue of PBMW magazine

For the guys who love engine porn/general car builds, here is the custom piston mold of the newly shaped RB26 chamber with the larger valves. It's been sent to CP along with the spec sheet for custom made 12:1 pistons with WPC treatment to go along with the 2.8x 77.7mm stroker crank and H beam rods. Got a Haltech 2500 ECU, R34 GTR N1 oil pump with Spool gears, the intake manifold has been ported and polished to match the work on the head and the over bored 49mm RB26 ITB's. The engine will be going together soon for the Z which is almost ready to paint once the engine bay is shaved.





















RVAE34 is offline  
post #468 of 537 Old 10th November 2018, 05:04 PM
herrubermensch
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Age: 53
Posts: 8,711
Thanks: 4,474
Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWM View Post
You know better than me that stock system is fine as long you stay NA. Arguably, it's going to support forced induction as already proven. But I hate the fact that BMW left some HP harnessed by using exhaust manifold that originally was supporting small 3.0 L V8 in European E39 / E38. Add the fact that at H-pipe and other section it's really choked, there lies one of my reasons building my own setup. Plus, I'm loosing about 60+ lbs and sound is amazing with Supersprint headers and HJS 200 cell race cats.
I'm only getting 40 HP at best with this setup but if I ever decide to go forced induction, it's ready:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-you-guys.html
So, if you want to stay quiet and save money, I'd stick with OEM.
He is already FI, running the ESS kit.

--Peter
herrubermensch is offline  
post #469 of 537 Old 1st January 2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
RVAE34
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 816
Thanks: 56
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Just passed the 2 year mark with the car and still like the day I got it! The new Performance BMW issue is out with the feature and I cannot wait to get my copies. Here are some of the photos.

Posting my new addition to the stable as well. 1987 Nissan Skyline GTS-X. Really getting back to my Nissan roots with 3 currently. All designs from the 80's too. Seems I like 70-80's Nissan's best and 90's-00's BMW's best. Guess that was how my car obsession progressed as I was growing up too so makes perfect sense..

Lastly, some updated photos of the Z progress. Engine bay shaving is going on now.












































































Last edited by RVAE34; 1st January 2019 at 03:00 PM.
RVAE34 is offline  
post #470 of 537 Old 1st January 2019, 09:16 PM
KevinM
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,040
Thanks: 733
Thanked 478 Times in 410 Posts
Garage
Congrats on the write-up! Nice pictures.

Kevin

2020 M2 Competition, Hockenheim Silver/6MT
2002 M5, Sterling Gray/Caramel
2007 Z4M Coupe Silver Gray/Black
2016 F80 M3, Mineral Grey/Golden Brown/6MT European Delivery - gone
KevinM is online now  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E60 For Sale: ||| FS: Venom: 08' E60 M5 | Custom Widebody | Alpine White | SEMA Project Car | Heavily Modded ||| aznazasin Cars For Sale or Wanted 20 27th November 2012 06:23 AM
E60 For Sale: Who wants it.... The beast is for sale!!!! 2006 Alpine White w/ Black Int 38K Miles ALPINEM5NJ Cars For Sale or Wanted 13 16th July 2011 04:16 PM
E60 For Sale: 2006 Alpine White/Silverstone with 38k miles (MD) Randomg Cars For Sale or Wanted 4 22nd June 2011 06:14 AM
E60 For Sale: 2006 alpine white/silverstone with 38k miles and easycare warranty(ny) freddyfcs Cars For Sale or Wanted 13 17th June 2011 04:45 PM
2005 Alpine White M3 PROJECT JOURNAL ///M_CHAP E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 7 20th April 2008 02:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome