Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 03:03 PM
BeastPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

I found the following quote on the Euro NCAP website relating to the BMW 5-series (e39). It seems that the car performed well, but that one of the weak areas was the protection for the driver's knees, upper legs and pelvis. These tests were done on a European e39 with the slim European dash. The US e39 dash is padded significantly more than the European e39 dash.

Think about it, there could very well be a good reason behind the US mandating the additional dash padding for the e39. Which would imply that the European dash conversion that several M5 owners have done, may not be promoting their safety.



Here is the quote:

"Frontal Impact - After the impact, the door aperture was little deformed and the body structure was stable. The left front wheel crushed the driver's footwell, causing a body seam to burst and expose the wheel arch liner. The driver and passenger airbags worked well and the load limiting belts reduced chest injury risks from those seen in the first test. The knee impact areas included hard contact points which could injure the driver's knees, upper legs and pelvis."



Here is the link:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=4&id2=49

Cheers, Daniel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 03:52 PM
TCM
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
TCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tyngsborough, MA
Posts: 4,248
Thanks: 4
Thanked 86 Times in 70 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Interesting post Daniel. I think you could be right on the money wiht regards to why the US mandated the extra kneee padding. Makes me think twice about converting to the Euro dash even though it looks better and allows more leg room.

T.C.
'01 Brushed Steel M5
AC Schnitzer:DFC suspension, anti-sway bars, pedals
front splitters

Dinan:CAI, MAFS, Throttle bodies, Velocity Stacks,
Stage 2 aluminum flywheel, front + rear strut bars,
3.45 differential

Others:Custom G-power Exhaust, Autosolutions short shifter
Supersprint Headers, Racing Cats, X-pipe
SPEC stage 3 clutch, Evolve Alpha-N Stage 5 ECU, Schrick Cams, IATS Temp Sensor
OZ Racing Superleggera III f19x8.5 r19x10.5, Brembo brakes
Evosport Power Pullies, Rouge transmission mounts, Plasma ignition coils
Euro interior conversion, M-technic grill with brake ducts,
CA Automative custom carbon fiber hood

&
'01 Silverstone M5- sold
AutoSolutions:short shift kit (40% reduction)
Automotive Specialist:cold air intake, swaybar brackets
Dinan:front strut tower bar, rear swaybar
Kelleners: race exhaust, suspension, ecu software
Rogue Engineering:transmission mounts
SuperSprint:X-pipe
TCM is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 04:31 PM
DZeckhausen
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fairfield, NJ USA
Posts: 2,481
Thanks: 1
Thanked 125 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Quote:
Think about it, there could very well be a good reason behind the US mandating the additional dash padding for the e39. Which would imply that the European dash conversion that several M5 owners have done, may not be promoting their safety.
There was a reason, although I'm not sure how "good" it was. It was based on the assumption that Americans don't wear seatbelts. While the vast majority of adults wear seatbelts, drivers between the age of 16-24 do not. Last year, 28 percent in that age group did NOT use seatbelts, which is an improvement over 2002 when 35 percent did not. Most new BMW drivers are above that age group and seat belt usage is much higher.

The purpose of the bolstering was to prevent submarining of an unbelted 170 pound male crash test dummy during a frontal collision. This was a USA-only test administered by the NHTSA and the intial results of the early E39 were not promising. As a "patch" BMW added the unsightly bolstering and installed the bloated glove box door on the American models. This would allow the unbelted crash dummy to be trapped by the knees and prevented from sliding under the dash, instead pivoting around his shattered knees into the airbag.

The additional bolstering of the lower dash on the North American version of the E39 has nothing to do with protecting knees or pevis. In fact, the first two years of manufacturing (1996/1997) of the E39 for the USA market was done with a metal cage covered by a skin of grained plastic. I certainly wouldn't refer to it as "additional dash padding". It wasn't until 1998 that BMW switched to high density foam to support the driver's side bolstering. One could argue that the 1997 & early 1998 E39 models were more dangerous than the European models because of this metal cage beneath the skin of the lower dash.

I have always said that if you do not wear your setbelts, you should not consider the Eurodash conversion. But if you are smart enough to buckle up, then there's no advantage to the loss of 6" of knee room. I don't think you are putting yourself at risk by doing a Eurodash conversion.

Dave Zeckhausen
Owner, Zeckhausen Racing

2001 540i 6-Speed (Sold)
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade (ST-60 front/ST-22 rear)
M5 3.15 Limited Slip Differential
M5 Front Swaybar
CDV Deleted (of course!)

2012 BMW 328i Luxury Line
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade (ST-60 front/ST-40 rear)

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport
xDrive35i brake upgrade

2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD
Regen braking! :-(
DZeckhausen is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 06:46 PM
Gustav
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Gustav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kingdom of Sweden
Age: 43
Posts: 49,477
Blog Entries: 7
Thanks: 5,951
Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,291 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Why would you not wear a seatbelt? That is so idiotic. I cant beleive 28% does not wear it in the USA. In the Nordic countries its above 95% all ages. I think I would have been dead long ago if I would not have weared my seatbelt.



Gustav is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 06:57 PM
stumbo
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
stumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Age: 46
Posts: 962
Thanks: 29
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info


Its an US thing Gustav, don't let it stress you. It appears to have been ingrained for a very long time, and so there will be natural sociological barriers to educating people otherwise.


Perhaps someone can help ? Is the freedom to not ware seatbelts coming from the same place as the freedom (obsession) with carrying guns ? :p


Last edited by stumbo; 15th October 2004 at 07:01 PM.
stumbo is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 06:59 PM
M-Fünf
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
M-Fünf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 1,316
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Top reasons NOT to wear a seatbelt (from a 17 year old):

1) My shirt will get all wrinkled
2) The belt pulls on my shoulder
3) I'm only driving like two blocks
4) They are so uncomfortable to wear
5) I forgot
6) If I get in a wreck, I want to be able to get out quickly
7) Nobody else does
8) It's so NOT cool
9) They don't really save lives anyways
10) I can't reach out the back window to get my beer

We've got people who ride motorcycles without helmets, too

Thanks for the interesting article Daniel...

M-Fünf (a.k.a. Jeff)

His: Not an M5
Her's: '04 M3 Silver Gray/Black 6 speed

Last edited by M-Fünf; 15th October 2004 at 07:01 PM.
M-Fünf is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 11:11 PM
Hamann7
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
Hamann7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Malibu, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbo
Its an US thing Gustav, don't let it stress you. It appears to have been ingrained for a very long time, and so there will be natural sociological barriers to educating people otherwise.


Perhaps someone can help ? Is the freedom to not ware seatbelts coming from the same place as the freedom (obsession) with carrying guns ? :p

No... guns are for safety reasons, just like seatbelts. Perhaps if you lived in a major U.S. city you would realize that.

If you were a victim of a violent crime perhaps you wouldn't be such a typical European pacifist liberal.

BMW M5 - Carbon Black on Black, Luxury interior (SOLD)
Porsche 996 GT2 - Black on Black
Porsche 996 GT3 - Black on Black
Porsche Cayenne S - Dark Sea Blue on Havana
Jaguar E-Type 4.2 - Burgundy on Black
BMW 540i Sport - Gray on Gray
Hamann7 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 11:26 PM
bwstein
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamann7
No... guns are for safety reasons, just like seatbelts. Perhaps if you lived in a major U.S. city you would realize that.

If you were a victim of a violent crime perhaps you wouldn't be such a typical European pacifist liberal.
In a major City? Are you qualifying Malibu as such? You make it sound like it's the big bad dangerous city. I live in Chicago (Logan Square for those who know the city) and certainly wouldn't delude myself into thinking that I'm safer with a gun. Unless you are going to adopt the same shoot first ask questions later as the lowest common denominator on the street you are only likely to incur more harm than help. Funny to see European, pacifist and liberal all spat out as though they were the worst things you could call someone.

Ben
bwstein is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 15th October 2004, 11:52 PM
BmwNut
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
BmwNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Belmont, CA
Posts: 2,564
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Wow, what a first post..LOL. Somethings need to be said, and I'm glad you are not ashamed.
I just purchased a gun, but I dont want to get into that debate, so I'll stick to the current topic of DASHBOARDS.
I think the euro dashboards are better looking, and as someone who always wears their seatbelt I think it would be a mod I would look into. I didnt mind the dash in my E39, but having more room would allow a better bias between front and rear legroom. Heck, didnt Gustav get into a pretty nasty head on accident in an E39 and walk away?
My old GTI had the ugly tacked un bumpers under the glove box, and the seatbelts that were attached to the door etc. Rather than have auto manufacturers spend money modifying dashes and belts, spend money to educate people to wear the belts in the first place. I still rag on my dad to wear his, but after twenty some odd years of me doing it I think he is getting the point.

-Brendan
1970 2800CS
BmwNut is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 16th October 2004, 01:52 AM
BeastPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Euro Dash Conversion - Maybe this is not a good idea - Euro NCAP Crash Test Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
There was a reason, although I'm not sure how "good" it was. It was based on the assumption that Americans don't wear seatbelts. While the vast majority of adults wear seatbelts, drivers between the age of 16-24 do not. Last year, 28 percent in that age group did NOT use seatbelts, which is an improvement over 2002 when 35 percent did not. Most new BMW drivers are above that age group and seat belt usage is much higher.

The purpose of the bolstering was to prevent submarining of an unbelted 170 pound male crash test dummy during a frontal collision. This was a USA-only test administered by the NHTSA and the intial results of the early E39 were not promising. As a "patch" BMW added the unsightly bolstering and installed the bloated glove box door on the American models. This would allow the unbelted crash dummy to be trapped by the knees and prevented from sliding under the dash, instead pivoting around his shattered knees into the airbag.

The additional bolstering of the lower dash on the North American version of the E39 has nothing to do with protecting knees or pevis. In fact, the first two years of manufacturing (1996/1997) of the E39 for the USA market was done with a metal cage covered by a skin of grained plastic. I certainly wouldn't refer to it as "additional dash padding". It wasn't until 1998 that BMW switched to high density foam to support the driver's side bolstering. One could argue that the 1997 & early 1998 E39 models were more dangerous than the European models because of this metal cage beneath the skin of the lower dash.

I have always said that if you do not wear your setbelts, you should not consider the Eurodash conversion. But if you are smart enough to buckle up, then there's no advantage to the loss of 6" of knee room. I don't think you are putting yourself at risk by doing a Eurodash conversion.
Good information, but I personally like the idea of having more padding than less padding, as the European e39 did not do as well as it might have, if it would have had the US dash. I know that there is no proof that the e39 would have done better in the Euro NCAP test with the US dash, but I prefer to be cautious if possible.

Cheers, Daniel.
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stereo, Sub, Woofer, DSP, Pin, Bass, Speakers V-10 4 Me E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 0 26th September 2003 07:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome