Trip from NC to MN. Any Attractions? - Page 2 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 27 Old 1st April 2014, 06:53 AM
C4RACER
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
C4RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,265
Thanks: 6
Thanked 120 Times in 107 Posts
congrats and I look forward to checking out the stories and pics! Please do post!

My purchase also involved a road trip from AZ to CA, although less than half the miles. Still it was a great time, a fond memory and a most fitting way to become one with my new car, which since then I have logged nearly 30K miles in and loved every single one of them!!!!

OK - need to prime the pump with a pic from my purchase road trip!


Last edited by C4RACER; 1st April 2014 at 07:04 AM.
C4RACER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 Old 1st April 2014, 06:59 PM
StephenVA
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
StephenVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Posts: 625
Thanks: 23
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
If you are coming to Washington DC, Please connect with me as I would be happy to offer suggestions, be an overview guide for the area, and offer a get together with other M5 owners if time permits. I can even offer up a wash bay to remove that RustBelt look!

Enjoy your trip, Skyline Drive just west of here is the best for sights AND driving experience in the BlueRidge Mts. If you are coming with kids plan on the Air and Space museum in No VA and DC
DC http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/mall/
No VA http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

I would recomend skipping the BlueRidge parkway and I would drive the northern section call the Skyline Drive as it will save you 2 + hrs of driving back north to Washington DC. The recommended park way is just off I66 near Front Royal VA and heads south. I would run the 1st leg to Route 211 and drive into DC via that road until Warrenton, then onto 29 north as it will take you through the battlefields of Manassas (Bull Run for you Yankees) then into Wash DC.

There are more than a few days of sightseeing here in the DC area, most are along the Washington Mall. All are in walking distance from each other, (Mouments, Smithsonian, etc).

Once again I would be more than happy to give you some insight and thoughts on where to go based on your timelines and interests.

Last edited by StephenVA; 1st April 2014 at 07:10 PM.
StephenVA is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 2nd April 2014, 03:39 AM
CarbonCopy
Member, P500 Sport, DSC On (>700)
 
CarbonCopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: coastal South Carolina
Posts: 750
Thanks: 64
Thanked 96 Times in 82 Posts
If you're leaving NYC for Chicago you'll be taking I-80 west. Not much to see in PA on route 80. Niagara would be a 45 minute detour up from Erie. I wouldn't take I-90 across NY as you'll waste time going that far north only to drop back down. Plus, it's a toll road. Also state police are everywhere in NY as well as in OH. Both states are sneaky and use instant on laser. I used to be in Cleveland and a stop downtown to see the Rock and Roll Hall of fame is neat but you have to deviate off 80 for 20 minutes (80 and 90 overlap west of town). Just east of downtown in University Circle is the Crawford Auto Museum housing unique early automobiles, many Cleveland-produced including the last Peerless made, an experimental V12. Rockefeller's grave with huge obelisk is there and James Garfield's (our second assasinated president) tomb can be entered and his sarcophagus seen (if that's your thing).
CarbonCopy is offline  
 
post #14 of 27 Old 2nd April 2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
///M Guy
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
///M Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
If you are coming to Washington DC, Please connect with me as I would be happy to offer suggestions, be an overview guide for the area, and offer a get together with other M5 owners if time permits. I can even offer up a wash bay to remove that RustBelt look!

Enjoy your trip, Skyline Drive just west of here is the best for sights AND driving experience in the BlueRidge Mts. If you are coming with kids plan on the Air and Space museum in No VA and DC
DC http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/mall/
No VA http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

I would recomend skipping the BlueRidge parkway and I would drive the northern section call the Skyline Drive as it will save you 2 + hrs of driving back north to Washington DC. The recommended park way is just off I66 near Front Royal VA and heads south. I would run the 1st leg to Route 211 and drive into DC via that road until Warrenton, then onto 29 north as it will take you through the battlefields of Manassas (Bull Run for you Yankees) then into Wash DC.

There are more than a few days of sightseeing here in the DC area, most are along the Washington Mall. All are in walking distance from each other, (Mouments, Smithsonian, etc).

Once again I would be more than happy to give you some insight and thoughts on where to go based on your timelines and interests.
If we want to hit BRP, MapQuest has us going up 77 to 81 then onto 66 into DC. That seems to be the best route even if we want to do Skyline Drive. If we add that, it looks like we'd turn onto 211 from 81, onto SD, and then 66 into DC which adds about an hour to our route.

Only problem is our flight gets into Charlotte at 1PM where the dealer will pick us up to get the car 30 min away in Concord so we will have quite a late start to a fairly long journey on Friday. If everything goes well, with our current route, it should put us in DC around 10PM. That doesn't include unplanned stops for photos, gas, food, etc.

I would love to do a meet at some point on the trip and multiple washes will be a must! It is just going to be very difficult to give anyone an ETA with all this driving. The main thing we do not want to happen is the feeling of being rushed on this trip. Any great "vacation" can get very frustrating if you're worried about getting somewhere all the time. We do want to spend as much time as we can in NYC though. Around noon Saturday is the goal.

2001 E39 M5-Carbonschwarz Metallic (416)-Walk Nappa/Caramel (M1CR)-Individual Audio System/Complete Leather/Fine Wood/Alcantara
Dinan Software-Dinan Shifter

1996 E36 M3-Hellrot (314)-Teilleder W.N./Modena (N5AY)-Lux Package-HK Audio-Fine Wood
///M Guy is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 2nd April 2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
///M Guy
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
///M Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
If you're leaving NYC for Chicago you'll be taking I-80 west. Not much to see in PA on route 80. Niagara would be a 45 minute detour up from Erie. I wouldn't take I-90 across NY as you'll waste time going that far north only to drop back down. Plus, it's a toll road. Also state police are everywhere in NY as well as in OH. Both states are sneaky and use instant on laser. I used to be in Cleveland and a stop downtown to see the Rock and Roll Hall of fame is neat but you have to deviate off 80 for 20 minutes (80 and 90 overlap west of town). Just east of downtown in University Circle is the Crawford Auto Museum housing unique early automobiles, many Cleveland-produced including the last Peerless made, an experimental V12. Rockefeller's grave with huge obelisk is there and James Garfield's (our second assasinated president) tomb can be entered and his sarcophagus seen (if that's your thing).
Yeah if we add Niagara Falls it has us going up to Syracuse and over on 90 to Niagara then down on 90 to Cleveland.

That route is actually less time consuming than up from Erie. The other option would be cutting over on 390 which is less miles but more time.

I am probably putting too much faith into MapQuest. I should link the route in here so you guys can see what I've got mapped out. That is if you want to take the time to view it .

How dependable is the GPS system on a Mark III? I have no idea if it's even up to date.

Thanks as well for your help, fellas.

2001 E39 M5-Carbonschwarz Metallic (416)-Walk Nappa/Caramel (M1CR)-Individual Audio System/Complete Leather/Fine Wood/Alcantara
Dinan Software-Dinan Shifter

1996 E36 M3-Hellrot (314)-Teilleder W.N./Modena (N5AY)-Lux Package-HK Audio-Fine Wood
///M Guy is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 3rd April 2014, 03:49 AM
chowdah
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: midatlantic
Posts: 4,816
Thanks: 3,735
Thanked 961 Times in 569 Posts
The car's GPS utility will likely suffer as much from the age of its map disc as the version of the NAV hardware/software. Any modern smartphone will be superior. Bring a phone charger with cigarette adapter. Since you'll have a navigator, a mount for your phone is optional.

You'll want to be off any of the scenic parkways by dusk, when the deer come out. Your car and nerves will thank you.

Picking up on the historical theme presented earlier, if that's your thing, then between Monticello and Antietam, there's gold. Udvar Hazy is better than the original - especially by car. You'll be hitting DC during Cherry Blossom festivities. In general, the 81/78 corridor will be more scenic and less stressful than any _95 one.
chowdah is online now  
post #17 of 27 Old 3rd April 2014, 03:51 AM
CarbonCopy
Member, P500 Sport, DSC On (>700)
 
CarbonCopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: coastal South Carolina
Posts: 750
Thanks: 64
Thanked 96 Times in 82 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to post a map....All I can say is you won't be able to make up as much time on I-90 versus I-80 due to enforcement types. Also consider getting out of Manhattan heading west may be easier then going north depending on time of day and where you're leaving from. This can easily eat up 30-60 minutes on a bad day. The Mark III does have updated disks as of 2010 - maybe there are more recent updates. I never really saw much of an improvement with the updates and all major routes will still look the same. Someone posted a download site for these a few years ago but I can't remember who or whether these are still available. The Mark III needs 8 or 9? disks for the US so you'd need a few for your journey.
CarbonCopy is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 3rd April 2014, 05:41 AM
blackknight530i
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
blackknight530i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 36
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 166
Thanked 208 Times in 162 Posts
Look up Hwy 226-A and Hwy 80 in Northeast NC. That's where we do a lot of our BMWCCA mountain drives and they are close the Blue Ridge Parkway, but aren't patrolled as much and offer a lot of fun. I'm only about 30 minutes from Concord in traffic. I hope you got a really nice car!

-Paul
2003 "M5" - S62/420g swap, M5 diff, M5 driveshaft, M5 brakes, M5 Traction Bars, M5 Bumpers, M5 Full Leather Interior Swap, M5 Gloss Shadowline, M5 Mirrors, M5 Gauge Cluster,
M5 Ground Control Coilovers, Eibach Sway Bars, UUC Evo3/DSSR, M5 Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT Retrofit, Hella G4 Bi-Xenon Retrofit, APEX PS-7s, e60 Hubs
530i 6-speed swap build thread

2003 530it6 - M54b30/S6S-420g swap, 3.15 540it diff, e60 SSK, VMR VB2 19" Wheels, M5 Gauge Cluster, Hella G4 Bi-xenon Retrofit, NBT Retrofit, Koni Sports, 540i Brakes

2002 540it - Coming soon
blackknight530i is online now  
post #19 of 27 Old 3rd April 2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
///M Guy
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
///M Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdah View Post
The car's GPS utility will likely suffer as much from the age of its map disc as the version of the NAV hardware/software. Any modern smartphone will be superior. Bring a phone charger with cigarette adapter. Since you'll have a navigator, a mount for your phone is optional.

You'll want to be off any of the scenic parkways by dusk, when the deer come out. Your car and nerves will thank you.

Picking up on the historical theme presented earlier, if that's your thing, then between Monticello and Antietam, there's gold. Udvar Hazy is better than the original - especially by car. You'll be hitting DC during Cherry Blossom festivities. In general, the 81/78 corridor will be more scenic and less stressful than any _95 one.
Factory NAV's just seem to be more reliable to me than using your phone. Might just be because I have Sprint but when I'm in Minneapolis the thing is always trying to find itself (Location).

Thanks for the tip on night driving as well. Didn't even think of that. Rules out Skyline Drive then...

We will be on 81 for the most part from Concord to DC. Anything good happening Friday night during these festivities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
It wouldn't hurt to post a map....All I can say is you won't be able to make up as much time on I-90 versus I-80 due to enforcement types. Also consider getting out of Manhattan heading west may be easier then going north depending on time of day and where you're leaving from. This can easily eat up 30-60 minutes on a bad day. The Mark III does have updated disks as of 2010 - maybe there are more recent updates. I never really saw much of an improvement with the updates and all major routes will still look the same. Someone posted a download site for these a few years ago but I can't remember who or whether these are still available. The Mark III needs 8 or 9? disks for the US so you'd need a few for your journey.
Here's the route we currently have planned:

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Niagara isn't mapped out on there but if we're not sick of driving by then and want to go, we'll probably take I-80.

Still can't believe the Mark III uses that many discs. Won't be long before I upgrade. I drive too much not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
Look up Hwy 226-A and Hwy 80 in Northeast NC. That's where we do a lot of our BMWCCA mountain drives and they are close the Blue Ridge Parkway, but aren't patrolled as much and offer a lot of fun. I'm only about 30 minutes from Concord in traffic. I hope you got a really nice car!
I'll take a look, thanks. The car is definitely nice. At least I think it is. We'll see I guess

2001 E39 M5-Carbonschwarz Metallic (416)-Walk Nappa/Caramel (M1CR)-Individual Audio System/Complete Leather/Fine Wood/Alcantara
Dinan Software-Dinan Shifter

1996 E36 M3-Hellrot (314)-Teilleder W.N./Modena (N5AY)-Lux Package-HK Audio-Fine Wood
///M Guy is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 3rd April 2014, 04:33 PM
StephenVA
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
StephenVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Posts: 625
Thanks: 23
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
More to see in Virginia- better drives too!

Virginia offers much more….

Suggested detour when heading north. Oh, i-81 is so mind numbing boring all the way. Route 11 runs parallel all the way and in between the cities it is 3-5 lanes wide and no one, 1/2 way up the backbone of Virginia, at Harrisonburg take Route 33 EAST (Towards Richmond) drive 10 miles and pick up Skyline Drive and head north. Get off at Panorama where Route 211 crosses. Take 211 East towards Washington. This way you will get the best drive, no traffic, no issues and everyone will be happy happy. Great twisters all over the way.

Detour Option Two: Coming up north on I-81/Route 11, just north of Lexington, VA you will see Route 340 North. It runs parallel to Route 11 but on the east side of the Shenandoah Valley floor. Less traffic mostly two lanes and little VA Valley towns the whole way.

Great drive and good chance to see Virginia the way it was.. Lots of history along either way, Jackson’s Valley Campaign, Lime Stone Caves (Best is up north in Luray- Luray Caverns, good car museum too- mostly prewar stuff but interesting.) Bring your camera as the views cannot be duplicated anywhere but here.

Enjoy the drive and when you get to Front Royal, if you go that far north, stop in at the best burger place around http://spelunkerscustard.com/ Great Ice cream as well.

Tip on finding good places to eat, stay, etc on the fly when traveling www.tripadvisor.com

If you come through on Sat am or Sunday am there are two great gatherings of car guys in the area- See the postings over in the events area on Katie’s Cars and Coffee- Saturday AM, or Kohl’s for Sunday.

If you have a second or two when you are in the area, there more than a few of us who would like to meet up a new owner.

Note if you find yourselves running at night as mentioned before, Run up I-81 all the way. Run just under 10 over post speed and you will be in the top 10% traffic flow. Let the rabbits run up front and watch out for the tandem rigs and the idiots in cars who pass them as they will pull out without any warning. You can swipe away 1 to 2 hrs of Mapquest travel time if you keep up your pace and not stop every 30 mins to pee.

Rule One of long distance travel- full up car and drain yourself. Rule Two – safe arrivals are always best. Rule Three – cops love medium strip stops on down hills or long stretches after slow down areas.
Travel Note: On I-8 in Harrisonburg city limits, the speed limit drops to 55 and it is heavily patrolled 24 hrs. Easy pickings.


Last edited by StephenVA; 3rd April 2014 at 04:55 PM.
StephenVA is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concorso Italiano and M5board weekend attractions [August 17, Monterey] Barry Regional Forums and Events and group meetings for M5, M6 and Alpina owners 98 30th August 2007 06:24 PM
Concorso Italiano and M5board weekend attractions [August 17, Monterey] Barry E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 16 4th June 2007 07:40 AM
Concorso Italiano and M5board weekend attractions [August 17, Monterey] Barry E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 23 31st May 2007 08:25 AM
CA to AZ trip SoCalJD E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 8 9th January 2007 10:32 PM
CA Trip dookhoon E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 3 9th June 2003 11:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome