1991 E34 M5 Oil Pump Priming - Page 2 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E34 M5 Discussion 1988-1995 Sedan and Touring

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 9th June 2019, 11:19 AM
DaveW
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 678
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
If you've done nothing to the engine apart from store it for a short while at an angle (can't see how that would cause a problem once it's back on flat ground), I would check/replace the oil pressure switch first. Maybe the wire is corroded or not making a good connection?

Cheers,

Dave.
DaveW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 Old 10th June 2019, 04:58 AM
alpinerunner
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stamford, CT
Age: 34
Posts: 276
Thanks: 57
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Dave, just checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge tonight. No pressure. Big question, which port would be considered “lower” to back feed the pump? I see two side by side.
Attached Thumbnails
66B917CE-78AA-45D5-96E9-4FCBD26620B9_1560135461493.jpeg  

1990 M3 - Weekend/HPDE
1991 M5 - Weekend
2003 M5 - DD
2012 X5 35D - Wife/family car
alpinerunner is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 10th June 2019, 07:11 AM
alpinerunner
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stamford, CT
Age: 34
Posts: 276
Thanks: 57
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
So just to update all places, I talked to Anri (west coast e34 M5 guru). He said starter RPM is not likely to be enough to build any oil pressure... Making my mechanical test gauge mute. He said that spinning the engine backwards with oil in the filter housing is futile (a myth) due to essentially no RPMs. Thoughts? He said that the best thing to do is to run the engine at 3-4000 RPM to force the oil pump to pickup oil and prime itself. I'm tempted to believe him because he is "the man" when it comes to this stuff. He also said that even if bypass valves stuck open, cold start oil pressure with some RPMs will override this valve and show pressure. This makes sense to me also. I think the relief valve being stuck open doesn't make sense because it usually get stuck open on startup when oil is thick and pressure spikes, so in the same case... it should be making pressure.

1990 M3 - Weekend/HPDE
1991 M5 - Weekend
2003 M5 - DD
2012 X5 35D - Wife/family car
alpinerunner is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 Old 10th June 2019, 07:13 PM
MileHigh427
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Alpine, I had a similar problem while doing a host of maintenance stuff. The engine sat dry for a few weeks. I put everything back together and boom no oil pressure. At first I thought it may just be the pressure sensor, nope. There was no oil in the filter housing (while adding oil I poured half a quart in the filter housing and coated the filter). I am far from the s38 guru but I wouldn't run the engine without oil for too long or rev it much past 1500. You could seize the engine/ brick it/ do serious damage. Through my research I was told that when these pumps sit dry for extended periods of time the seals dry out and cause failure. So for me it was replace the pump time. I had my mechanic install the new pump and was told the pressure returned instantly. I suppose you could try to rebuild the pump or these other "fixes" but up to you. I have my old pump sitting in my garage. If you interested in it I'd sell it for cheap.


I know it is an expensive part but the new pump was the fix. I found a pretty good deal from eEuroparts (considering what other outlets were asking for it), it was $400 for the pump. Everywhere else was around 5-6.

Good luck!
MileHigh427 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 10th June 2019, 07:19 PM
MileHigh427
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinerunner View Post
I get what Tomba is saying about removing filter housing, but why the oil cooler? Is he talking about the cooler in the bumper?

Looking at this diagram of the gasket, am I pouring oil in the small oval hole at the bottom? https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1267
The oil cooler lines tie into the filter housing and they need to be pulled/ moved out of the way to get the filter housing out. I think that's why he bring it up. The oil cooler itself can stay.
MileHigh427 is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 11th June 2019, 03:52 AM
alpinerunner
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stamford, CT
Age: 34
Posts: 276
Thanks: 57
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh427 View Post
The oil cooler lines tie into the filter housing and they need to be pulled/ moved out of the way to get the filter housing out. I think that's why he bring it up. The oil cooler itself can stay.
That makes sense. It's looking like new pump time. I'm awaiting a new oil filter housing gasket, I'll give it one more start attempt, then it's going to be a new pump.

1990 M3 - Weekend/HPDE
1991 M5 - Weekend
2003 M5 - DD
2012 X5 35D - Wife/family car
alpinerunner is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 11th June 2019, 06:53 PM
MileHigh427
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinerunner View Post
That makes sense. It's looking like new pump time. I'm awaiting a new oil filter housing gasket, I'll give it one more start attempt, then it's going to be a new pump.
Why are you doing the filter housing gasket? I'm assuming it's leaking? Funny enough that's exactly how I started down the same road. The goal was to replace the oil filter housing gasket. Of course it snowballed, like it always does, into replacing several other items. The motor sat dry for the few weeks while I was doing this and a host of other things and when I finally got it back together and bam, no oil pressure... Sadly, the issue was really just leaking power steering lines. It just appeared to be oil leaking from the filter housing but it was PS fluid coming from the main power steering hose that splashed onto the area near the oil filter housing. So check your PS lines...

I would be careful running the engine too much. No oil to vital components can cause serious damage. I did new rod bearing when replacing the pump and they were definitely needed. Not sure if you are trying to do this yourself or not but in order to get the oil pan out you'll need to support the engine and drop the front sub frame. There is just no way to wiggle the oil pan out with the sub frame still attached. I had my mechanic do the pump, while being fairly familiar with working on cars and having the tools. I am not a mechanic.

If your doing it yourself, best of luck. Keep us posted
MileHigh427 is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 13th June 2019, 04:26 AM
alpinerunner
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stamford, CT
Age: 34
Posts: 276
Thanks: 57
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh427 View Post
Why are you doing the filter housing gasket? I'm assuming it's leaking? Funny enough that's exactly how I started down the same road. The goal was to replace the oil filter housing gasket. Of course it snowballed, like it always does, into replacing several other items. The motor sat dry for the few weeks while I was doing this and a host of other things and when I finally got it back together and bam, no oil pressure... Sadly, the issue was really just leaking power steering lines. It just appeared to be oil leaking from the filter housing but it was PS fluid coming from the main power steering hose that splashed onto the area near the oil filter housing. So check your PS lines...

I would be careful running the engine too much. No oil to vital components can cause serious damage. I did new rod bearing when replacing the pump and they were definitely needed. Not sure if you are trying to do this yourself or not but in order to get the oil pan out you'll need to support the engine and drop the front sub frame. There is just no way to wiggle the oil pan out with the sub frame still attached. I had my mechanic do the pump, while being fairly familiar with working on cars and having the tools. I am not a mechanic.

If your doing it yourself, best of luck. Keep us posted
Actually the car was down for a couple months for a steering box rebuilt (sent it to Miami), proper SLS delete, and AAS secondary air pump delete kit. I removed the filter housing per recommendation by Tomba in post #4 of this thread to remove it and pour oil into the block and spin the engine backwards. While the housing was off I could see that the gasket was completely compressed and oddly "smeared". I have an engine support bar arriving Friday and I've ordered a pump because I figure, even if I can get this primed, I don't want to go through this again when I store it for the winter.

1990 M3 - Weekend/HPDE
1991 M5 - Weekend
2003 M5 - DD
2012 X5 35D - Wife/family car
alpinerunner is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How often your smg pump priming itself ? CHIH E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 22 15th May 2017 02:43 AM
E39 For Sale: S62 Oil Pan Solenoids & Oil Pump M3 Euro LTW Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 1 7th August 2016 07:03 AM
Drivetrain Malfunction Oil Pump Failure - with replaced oil pump cmhsam F10 M5 Discussion 15 24th October 2012 02:42 AM
How many oil pump / vanos pump failure 510e36 E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2 14th March 2012 09:26 PM
Intermittent SMG Pump Priming PurevilM5 E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 9 23rd October 2011 09:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome