BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me a clean car fanatic, but I’m obsessed with making the beast look as good as possible. I acquired a CPO’d 2003 M5 two weeks ago with only 3,600 miles (Titanium Silver with black sport seats). Dealer put on the typical prep wax job, but the car had no idea how it was going to be pampered over the next two weekends…

Step #1 - Wash with Dawn to Remove Wax

Use Dawn dish soap to remove existing wax. Fill a bucket with water, add a generous portion of Dawn soap and wash the car with soft hand mitts. Always use two mitts, one for everything above the door molding (roof, hood, trunk, top half of doors), and one for everything below the door moldings (lights, bumpers, grill, etc.). Wash moving in one direction (front to back), never circular motion. Use a soft brush with long bristles to clean the wheels. A California water blade is used to remove most of the water and I finish drying the rest with a leaf blower. I use a Toro electric blower with 215 mph to get at the hard to dry places (mirrors, grills, lights, wheels, tires, etc.).

Step #2 - Zaino Z18 (Clay Bar)

Even with a new car, the surface picks up contaminants that must be cleaned off. To test to see if clay bar is needed, place your hand in a thin plastic bag and lightly rub over the surface. If you feel small bumps, grit, etc. you need to clay bar before polishing or waxing. Take the Zaino Z18 clay bar and cut it into 6 smaller pieces. It only takes 1-2 pieces to do the entire car. Break the car down into smaller sections and work each one at a time (roof, door, trunk, door, etc.). Mix a capful of Zaino Z7 car wash with water in a spray bottle and spray liberally over the area to be clayed. The clay must be rubbed over a wet surface so keep spraying more water as necessary. Flatten the clay out into a 2-3 inch circle and rub gently over the surface (you don‘t need to rub hard). When the surface feels smooth, move to the next section.

Step #3 - Wash with Zaino Z7 (Car Wash)

Same wash process as step #1 only use Zaino Z7 car wash instead of Dawn. This will clean off all the remaining clay particles and other fine grit. After drying the car, do the plastic test again and the surface should be completely smooth and ready for polish.

Step #4 - Zaino Z5 (Polish)

Mix 1ounce of Zaino Z5 polish with 4 drops of ZFX accelerator. Shake for 1 minute and let it sit for 5 minutes while you get your other supplies ready. Using a soft cloth application pad (sponge inside), place a drop of Zaino Z5 on the pad and rub into the surface,. Use an overlapping circular motion initially and then go back over with a back and forth motion (front to back on hood, roof, trunk, and up and down motion on sides, doors, fenders, etc.) This motion helps intensify the reflectivity of the shine. The secret to using Zaino is to use it very sparingly, a little goes a long way. Treat it as if it were liquid gold. 1-2 ounces will cover the entire car. By the time you finish covering the car it will be time to wipe off where you started. Use 100% cotton white bath towels to remove polish. The polish removes easily with gentle pressure. Turn the towel frequently to keep it clean and prevent scratching the surface. Always finish a coat of Zaino with Z6 gloss enhancer. Use a new towel, spray a small portion onto the surface, and rub until it dries. Turn the towel over and buff lightly to increase the shine. Remember, back and forth motion on top, up and down motion on the sides.

Step #5 & 6 - Zaino Z2 (Polish)

In these steps you add two coats of Zaino Z2. Same process as Z5 and use Z6 gloss enhancer after each coat.

Step #7 - Zaino Z10 (Leather / Vinyl)

Zaino Z10 is perfect for the interior because it can be used on both the leather and vinyl surfaces. This makes the doors easy to treat. Just rub it on with a soft micro fiber towel and let it set, you don’t need to rub off. The black leather takes on a rich look and the vinyl has a nice mat finish. The smell of this product is also very pleasant.

Step #8 - Zaino Z16 (Tires)

Use a soft tire sponge and apply Z16 to the tires. If you want more shine, apply two coats.

Step #9 - Rejex (polish)

I just started using Rejex polish and I’ve been very pleased with the results. I use it on the wheels to help prevent brake dust build-up. That way I can clean wheels with simple soap & water (Z6) , no scrubbing or harsh chemicals needed. Just rub it on with a micro fiber towel and wipe off when it dries. I also put a coat of Rejex over the entire exterior of the car, and I mean the entire car (over the zaino paint treatment, windows, plastic reflectors, moldings, rear exhaust pipes, etc.)! Rejex does have to cure for 12 hours so put it on at night and wait until morning to drive it. Zaino results in a very smooth surface but Rejex takes it to the next level!

The car looks awesome and is a joy to drive! While this is a lot of work, I enjoy doing it and know that the car is protected for the next 6 months. I wash it weekly and freshen up the shine with periodic sprayings of Z6 gloss enhancer. My camera is in the shop so pictures will have to follow later.…

I went to a Christmas party this weekend and the valet proudly parked the car in spot #1 for all to see. He said it was the nicest car he’d ever seen , immaculate inside an out! The M5 is a beast (a clean, mean, driving machine)!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
GAS M5,

You da Mr. Clean M5 MAN :cool: . You sound as if you have one clean car. I need to find out if you make road trips to the Houston area. I am sure you could put on a class for us here. I would be happy to let you demonstrate on my car.

How long does this "process" of yours (there is no way you could call this a simple detail job) last?

I too use Rejex on my wheels as well as the rest of the car, I just have never added so many steps ahead of it.

Well done,

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
GAS M5,

Will the clay bar remove minor surface scratches?
I got my car back from the dealer after service and seems that one of their guys ran a towel or rag all over the car that left serveral scratches.
I told them about it and they offered to "detail" it.
When I got it back after the detailing, the scrateches were still there.
I was contemplating bringing it back but don't want them to do further damage.
Any thoughts?

·
10,455 Posts
mts said:
GAS M5,

I got my car back from the dealer after service and seems that one of their guys ran a towel or rag all over the car that left serveral scratches.
I told them about it and they offered to "detail" it.
When I got it back after the detailing, the scrateches were still there.
I was contemplating bringing it back but don't want them to do further damage.
Any thoughts?
No Clay bars will not remove scratches, they will only take off surface contamination. If you run your hand across the paint and it feels rough, that's the stuff clay will remove.
Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
mts said:
Not GAS M5, but no it can't. the clay bar will lift very fine particles (the tiny bumps you can feel with your fingertips, but not really see) off the surface, but it won't do anything for micro-scratches on the clearcoat. You'd need to machine polish the area to try to remove them. results will depend on how bad they are and the color of the car -- you might not get rid of them completely, and you don't want to be too aggressive trying.

GAS M5 skipped this step, no doubt because his low mileage '03 didn't need it. You'd need a machine polisher and different products to do it yourself. Here are a couple of well-regarded polishes --

http://www.properautocare.com/3mfiniimacpo.html

http://64.182.14.189/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductList.asp?DeptID=505282003154072%2D192168022991&CatID=285282003155452%2D192168022938

and of course a machine polisher and pads:

http://64.182.14.189/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductList.asp?DeptID=11622003358142%2D1225212614085&CatID=67622003414402%2D1225212614092

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
EdP said:
Not GAS M5, but no it can't. the clay bar will lift very fine particles (the tiny bumps you can feel with your fingertips, but not really see) off the surface, but it won't do anything for micro-scratches on the clearcoat. You'd need to machine polish the area to try to remove them. results will depend on how bad they are and the color of the car -- you might not get rid of them completely, and you don't want to be too aggressive trying.

GAS M5 skipped this step, no doubt because his low mileage '03 didn't need it. You'd need a machine polisher and different products to do it yourself. Here are a couple of well-regarded polishes --

http://www.properautocare.com/3mfiniimacpo.html

http://64.182.14.189/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductList.asp?DeptID=505282003154072%2D192168022991&CatID=285282003155452%2D192168022938

and of course a machine polisher and pads:

http://64.182.14.189/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductList.asp?DeptID=11622003358142%2D1225212614085&CatID=67622003414402%2D1225212614092
Zaino is acually not recomended to be used with a polisher I think thats why he left it out...But I acually use the Zaino with the polisher so it does work fine with it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Jayson said:
Zaino is acually not recomended to be used with a polisher I think thats why he left it out...But I acually use the Zaino with the polisher so it does work fine with it.
They're really two different things. Best to think of Zaino as a synthetic "wax," it's really not a "polish" as it doesn't clean the paint, it only protects it. The machine polishing step would have come right after step #3, before applying Zaino Z5 or Z2. Some detailers will actually use a couple of products here (i.e., polish and a "glaze"). The idea is to "clean" the surface of imperfections (e.g., micro scratches) and contaminants before applying Zaino, which again is just a protectant. Arguably, this is the most important step, because the Zaino will only look as good as your prep work.

I've never tried removing Zaino with the machine; I've found that it comes off easily with micro-fiber towels or the high quality 100% cotton towels that Zaino recommends.

Ever since watching Eric Lipinksi detail my 540, I've been kinda interested in this stuff. Apart from being a nice guy, Eric is to detailing what Eric Clapton is to the guitar.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
EdP said:
They're really two different things. Best to think of Zaino as a synthetic "wax," it's really not a "polish" as it doesn't clean the paint, it only protects it. The machine polishing step would have come right after step #3, before applying Zaino Z5 or Z2. Some detailers will actually use a couple of products here (i.e., polish and a "glaze"). The idea is to "clean" the surface of imperfections (e.g., micro scratches) and contaminants before applying Zaino, which again is just a protectant. Arguably, this is the most important step, because the Zaino will only look as good as your prep work.

I've never tried removing Zaino with the machine; I've found that it comes off easily with micro-fiber towels or the high quality 100% cotton towels that Zaino recommends.

Ever since watching Eric Lipinksi detail my 540, I've been kinda interested in this stuff. Apart from being a nice guy, Eric is to detailing what Eric Clapton is to the guitar.
:cheers:
The Z5 polish is acually to help remove the scratchs, then the Z2 is to "protect" more although they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Jayson said:
The Z5 polish is acually to help remove the scratchs...
I think the jury is still out on this claim, but I hope it is true. If the weather warms up later this month, I'm hoping to give my car the Z5/Z2 treatment and get rid of some of the fine scratches on the hood and trunk lid. The 3M swirl mark remover also is supposed to be pretty good at hiding scratches. I have both and may experiment.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
EdP said:
I think the jury is still out on this claim, but I hope it is true. If the weather warms up later this month, I'm hoping to give my car the Z5/Z2 treatment and get rid of some of the fine scratches on the hood and trunk lid. The 3M swirl mark remover also is supposed to be pretty good at hiding scratches. I have both and may experiment.
Personal experience it's designed to do that, does an ok job on hiding them, but I would just go with the 3m. I acually got somthing else I'm going to try after the new year though to remove the swirls and see how that goes...but after using the I'll still use the zaino to shine and protect as it does do that well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Zaino Not-Mania!

I used to be a Zaino fanatic, but after getting a black car I was thoroughly unimpressed with the actual performance on the clear coat. I spent a total of near 10 hours on my car with all the Zaino components and really achieved lame results. It was shiny, wet looking, but the clear coat was not in any better of shape in the bright sunlight, which to me is the most ultimate judge of the quality. The actual feel on the paint seemed to diminish after around 10 washes. I think that Zaino is like any other customized polymer, mix up some Dupont standards, through some coloring in, slap a label and then swear by it and it is the hot new thing. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I am actually taking my car tomorrow morning to a guy who promises the most incredible paint restoration ever, he charges a hell of a lot of money but the cars he has coming out of the shop look incredible! I am excited to see the results.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
To remove fine scratches, use a random orbital buffer and some good quality pads. I did this on my wife's 2002 330Cic and was incredibly amazed. It had previously been babied with Zaino, ever since day 1 (we bought it new and ordered from BMW so nobody else ever even sat in it before we took delivery).

Since we're talking about Zaino, here are some cool Zaino shots that I've taken over the past few years....

M5:

Z06 before paint:

Z06 after paint:

M3 (RIP :( ):

330Cic:

My old 2000 Corvette Coupe:

Zaino is the best!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welp, I have used the prodcuts and the clay bar is amazing, first time for me. The feel of the finsih is wonderful, silky esp after applying the sequence of polishes. I went with the cotton towl suggestion per the guy at Zainos. I even cut away the trim from those (only white) towels. However I am still seeing lots of lines from the buffing. Now I'll admit, I dry with the towels, but use the small 12 x 12 Viper ultra micro-fiber towels. I havew way too many directional (not swirl) streaking. Can someone help me out? Is it possible these micro fiber towls are that bad? Cotton the whole way? Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
tetherM5 said:
I used to be a Zaino fanatic, but after getting a black car I was thoroughly unimpressed with the actual performance on the clear coat. I spent a total of near 10 hours on my car with all the Zaino components and really achieved lame results. It was shiny, wet looking, but the clear coat was not in any better of shape in the bright sunlight, which to me is the most ultimate judge of the quality. The actual feel on the paint seemed to diminish after around 10 washes. I think that Zaino is like any other customized polymer, mix up some Dupont standards, through some coloring in, slap a label and then swear by it and it is the hot new thing. ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I am actually taking my car tomorrow morning to a guy who promises the most incredible paint restoration ever, he charges a hell of a lot of money but the cars he has coming out of the shop look incredible! I am excited to see the results.<O:p></O:p>
I agree, I have the CB and in the sun today quite frankly the finish looked terrible!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Not all micro fiber is the same, and some do scratch. You may also have a border around the towel that is scratching the paint as well. After you are done polishing the car most of the swirls should be gone. Zaino is good but does not last as long as i would prefer.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
dmccrary90025 said:
Welp, I have used the prodcuts and the clay bar is amazing, first time for me. The feel of the finsih is wonderful, silky esp after applying the sequence of polishes. I went with the cotton towl suggestion per the guy at Zainos. I even cut away the trim from those (only white) towels. However I am still seeing lots of lines from the buffing. Now I'll admit, I dry with the towels, but use the small 12 x 12 Viper ultra micro-fiber towels. I havew way too many directional (not swirl) streaking. Can someone help me out? Is it possible these micro fiber towls are that bad? Cotton the whole way? Thanks!
Not sure what you are asking- once the 'swirls' are there, they need to be removed- (and these are not necessarily circular lines, but rather a term for 'micro scratches')

Once you get them out, keeping them off is a different story.

Getting them out involves polishing- meguires swirl remover 2.0 is my favorite, but many other ways to skin that cat. Z5 is NOT one of them. Once you've removed the fine lines via polish, THEN you can zaino/seal/wax, etc.

Atomic80 had a great post on this, I had one called naked m5, a bunch of others.

Also there are a few posts on how to properly wash and dry a black car to minimize (or avoid entirely) microscratches... multiple wash buckets, keep the wash rag/mit clean and rinse it, when drying BLOT the car, don't wipe, etc...

A

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Zaino has a new product called ZPC which removes fine swirls and can be used with a random orbital. I plan to try it on the new iT I picked up as well as my M5 soon. I used it a little on the very bad paint on the track car and it actually made it look several times better than before, so I'll give it a shot and report back.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ard said:
Not sure what you are asking- once the 'swirls' are there, they need to be removed- (and these are not necessarily circular lines, but rather a term for 'micro scratches')

Once you get them out, keeping them off is a different story.

Getting them out involves polishing- meguires swirl remover 2.0 is my favorite, but many other ways to skin that cat. Z5 is NOT one of them. Once you've removed the fine lines via polish, THEN you can zaino/seal/wax, etc.

Atomic80 had a great post on this, I had one called naked m5, a bunch of others.

Also there are a few posts on how to properly wash and dry a black car to minimize (or avoid entirely) microscratches... multiple wash buckets, keep the wash rag/mit clean and rinse it, when drying BLOT the car, don't wipe, etc...

A
Swirl suggested to me a circular scratch. I do have the Meguire's 2, and have had luck using those products on past cars. Seems this CB color is a real pain in the rump, seems esp soft. I need to go back to the blot approach, agreed as the cotton approach is killing me. I'll report back next weekend on my results, after I view it in the sun again.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
do u wash ur car everytime with car soap? if yes i would suggest wash ur car with h20 only if its just dust...now if ur car is too dirty u can wash it with soap and apply wax for protection...if u have time in the morning b4 driving away dust off your car, believe me it would help in maintaining ur car....

1 - 20 of 76 Posts