BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo...the car is now tinted. Next step is Zaino. I'm told that not all black cars have a clear coat. I was wondering whether I need to use "regular" (Z3) or "clear coat" (Z2) Zaino polish on Jet Black. Help appreciated. Will post pics as soon as I'm through.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Z2 is what you want. If you drive an E39 M5, you have a clear coat. Don't forget to possibly use a random orbital buffer first, then clay bar, then apply Zaino.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
wash
clay
wash
dry
spray shine
z-2
spray shine
z-2
spray shine

enjoy

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
ill add a little to that...

wash with a dish detergent to rid the car of any old wax that might still be on there...i generally wash 2 times anyway even without those other steps as ill do a light handed job to wipe off the grime and then go back again...i feel its better than using a hard hand once.

should really be...

Wash
clay
wash
dry
Polish
Hand glaze
Wax (let sit for 20min)
buff
spray
wax (let sit for 20+ min)
buff
shine..

repeat as desired

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You might consider a swirl remover prior to the 'polish' step... depends on how good the finish is now. I'd read that the zaino polish is not very aggressive- i used mcguiars swirl remover 2.0 on my MDX - very mild and controllable. Requires a power buffer.

A

·
Registered
62 Posts
The zaino is not a cleaner or polish with abrasives... Htting the car once a year with a random orbital and some final polish will get rid of scratches, swirls, and other surface imperfections... On Zaino, the stuff is great... so easy to apply and remove... I switched from Carnuba for Klasse several years ago with good results. The effort required for carnuba was too much for the slight improvement over Klasse. Zaino has better shine than the carnuba, lasts a long time and the product is so easy to aplpy and remove... Make sure you get the accellerator. It makes the process so easy...

Sean

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used Zaino on a black car for about a year and wondered why there was a every so slight cloudy film on the car. I was told by a professional to switch to carnuba wax especially for black cars. A paint cleaner took off the cloudy film and then the carnuba wax gave it a DEEP and rich look which I liked much better. Zaino is good for cars that aren't as dark because it is so shiny, but on darker colors carnuba works better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You might have tried Zaino during the phase where there was something causing that. It's perfect for jet black cars. Try again! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Zaino does not need a wax on top of it it is an all in one, though I do like to use a more agressive swirl remover first but not always needed...two to three coats is all you need.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Zaino swirl remover actually fills in swirls, it does not remove them. I would recommend using a Porter Cable random orbital buffer with Griot's garage (or similar) buffing compounds to actually remove the swirls, then going over it with Zaino. I did this on my wife's car (Orient Blue) and it came out in-freaking-credible.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Redshift said:
Zaino swirl remover actually fills in swirls, it does not remove them. I would recommend using a Porter Cable random orbital buffer with Griot's garage (or similar) buffing compounds to actually remove the swirls, then going over it with Zaino. I did this on my wife's car (Orient Blue) and it came out in-freaking-credible.

Yes the Z5 fills in swirls a little but some real polishing with the random orbital will compliment this and lead to better results...

You can easily do 4-5 coats of various zaino products in the time it takes to do one coat of carnbuba. Comes on and off with such ease...

Sean

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
after washing and claying and really drying the car, i recomend this:

http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozheavcutp.html

Depending on teh level of swirls either that one (heavy cut) or medium cut

followed by the z-2 then spry then z-2 followed by a light wash and dry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts