BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As any one looked into getting Z8 tires ?
They are supposed to be Run Flats and are the same size as the M5. There is no mention of them on the bridgestone web site or on the site of Tires retailers.
Is the only way to get them through BMW ?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Originally posted by pbk:
They are supposed to be Run Flats and are the same size as the M5. There is no mention of them on the bridgestone web site or on the site of Tires retailers.
My new M5 is coming in with Michelin run flats installed. If your car is being delivered soon, than I am sure you will have the same tire setup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi MAH!

This is the news I've been waiting for!

When are you taking delivery?

I will be getting mine in August and this would solve my dilemma of finding the best spare tire solution.

- Tooth

Originally posted by MAH:
My new M5 is coming in with Michelin run flats installed. If your car is being delivered soon, than I am sure you will have the same tire setup.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Originally posted by pbk:

Hello Tooth,

I am flying to Virgina Beach to take delivery the end of June. It was so difficult to get the M5 in any reasonable time frame at MSRP in Southern California that I ordered it from several delerships till the first one came in. I am getting a Carbon Black with sportive black and silver extended interior.

As I mentioned in the last post, many new M5 owners have reported the new cars coming in with run flats on them. As car crazy as Southern California is, I have yet to see but one M5 on the road to this point in time.

I do look forward to taking delivery. Are you taking delivery in Las Vegas? What color combination did you choose? MSRP or a make-up?

Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi MAH,

I'm looking forward to taking delivery as well. I did see one in LA that the dealer had marked up by $30k (black/black) and one in Vegas that the dealer was about to hand over to the owner (Anthracite/black). It's a damn nice looking car... it looks even better IRL than in the brochures!

I will be taking delivery in Las Vegas. I called about 40 dealers across random locations in the US and I couldn't find one who could deliver a car to me within 2 years at MSRP... and the wait for marked-up cars was almost as bad. I got lucky when I went into my local dealer and found a cancellation that I could pick up (albeit at a $10k markup). I balked at the markup, but my wife convinced me that if I waited the 2 years, I'd buy something to drive around in while waiting for the M5, and it would probably depreciate by $10k by the time I took delivery so I should just spend the money to get the car I want now. How could I argue.

I'm getting LeMans Blue with the LeMans Blue Sportive Interior... I chose the wood trim because I thought the aluminum-look plastic looked kinda cheap with the LeMans blue interior. It did look good with the Silverstone interior, though.

Thanks again for the info about the run-flat tires! Now I can stop my quest for the correct spare!

- TheTooth

Hello Tooth,

I do look forward to taking delivery. Are you taking delivery in Las Vegas? What color combination did you choose? MSRP or a make-up?

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all,

Maybe the question is not if the new cars are coming with run-flat tires, but if that kind of tires can be fitted to the cars delivered until present day.
(Tires do not stay for more than 20.000 Kms)

Does any one know if would be mandatory to change rims?

José L.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have also heard that Michelin Run flats they may be coming on new cars but has any one here actually seen a car with the Michelin run flats ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Run flats are unavailable for M5 or Z8.I have heard they will be available on the 740i.Run flats have much poorer performance qualities than Bridgestone,Pirellis,Michelins or Dunlops.I have talked to a number of people about the best performance tire for the M5-they tell me that the above brands are very similar but if they had to choose they would use Michelin Sport Pilots.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What?! Run flat tires come STANDARD on the M5. Right now they are using Dunlop 8080's or Michelin Pilot Sports...it all depends on whats available when your car is built.

-Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.

All of this is really getting confusing.

My understanding is that by default Dunlop 8080 and Pilot Sport are not Run Flat tires.

Now there may be a new run flat version of the Pilot Sport but this is not what the original M5 were delivered with.

The Z8 on the other hand is supposed to be delivered with Run flat tires. I read somewhere that they are Bridgestone SO2.

Which brings us back to the question to anyone on the board that just took delivery (in the last couple of weeks). What tires did you get and are they Run Flat versions (it could be called ZP for zero pressure in Michelin terminology)

·
Registered
18 Posts
One more thing.
According to the magazine I read a couple of days ago, the size of tires in Z8 is different from the M5's. Widths are the same but different profile;
Z8- F 245/45/18 R 275/40/18
M5- F 245/40/18 R 275/35/18
Magazine could be wrong, but that's what I read. And it did come with run-flats, forgot the brand though(likely michelin).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts