BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a copy of my post on the Z8 board at roadfly.

A few weeks ago I took the Z8 in for a state inspection and the state inspection computer would not link to the OBD. We tried different inspection computers and even different locations (eg- gas stations etc) Nothing worked. The solution the dealer came up with was to replace the DME. My car is an early 2000 model- production in March 2000.

So with the replacement working AOK and a new inspection sticker I headed out on a 100 mile round trip to a business lunch. The car did not feel as strong as it did before. Previously, when Id hit about 4,200 RPM I could feel the affect of the Double VANOS. It now felt like it was gone. After about 30 miles Id say the car was feeling stronger, but still it didn't feel quite as strong as before.

No other problems on the way there. But on about mile 65, on my way home, the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I brought it right to the dealer, to whose credit I can say they took care of this right away. The problem was the MAFS. Apparently the 2000 MY cars had some problem MAFS. We speculate the new DME "discovered" this. I have about 50 miles on the car with the new MAFS and I can tell you the car feels stronger than it ever did.

So moral of this & recent stories: at around 4-5 years change your battery [on last Monday, my OEM battery went dead and would not accept a charge- the dealer replaced it on the spot] and have the MAFS checked. Btw, for those wondering, MAFS= mass airflow sensor - there are 2 in our car, one for each intake.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jerry,

I'm at about 58,000 miles on my MY 2000 M5 (June production) and have one box left before my next scheduled service. Are the MAFS something that would be checked at that service ordinarily? My SES light came on recently and they reprogrammed/upgraded the DME.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,
I think if you do a search on MAFS you will find out that this is a problem area. Have the dealer plug the car into the computer to see how they are performing. I bet the MAFS are at least part of your check engine light. I also think there is a way of you finding out the values- again do a search on it. I can't since I took out the OEM head unit (stereo).

·
Registered
369 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
This is a copy of my post on the Z8 board at roadfly.

A few weeks ago I took the Z8 in for a state inspection and the state inspection computer would not link to the OBD. We tried different inspection computers and even different locations (eg- gas stations etc) Nothing worked. The solution the dealer came up with was to replace the DME. My car is an early 2000 model- production in March 2000.

So with the replacement working AOK and a new inspection sticker I headed out on a 100 mile round trip to a business lunch. The car did not feel as strong as it did before. Previously, when Id hit about 4,200 RPM I could feel the affect of the Double VANOS. It now felt like it was gone. After about 30 miles Id say the car was feeling stronger, but still it didn't feel quite as strong as before.

No other problems on the way there. But on about mile 65, on my way home, the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I brought it right to the dealer, to whose credit I can say they took care of this right away. The problem was the MAFS. Apparently the 2000 MY cars had some problem MAFS. We speculate the new DME "discovered" this. I have about 50 miles on the car with the new MAFS and I can tell you the car feels stronger than it ever did.

So moral of this & recent stories: at around 4-5 years change your battery [on last Monday, my OEM battery went dead and would not accept a charge- the dealer replaced it on the spot] and have the MAFS checked. Btw, for those wondering, MAFS= mass airflow sensor - there are 2 in our car, one for each intake.
Yes, the wife got a new battery in June, and I have two new MAF's in the mail.

Just hit 5 years and 50k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts