BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all
UK registered 2001 Z8

I have been working in Switzerland for the summer & have decided that whilst Im here, I should get the limiter removed & at the same time get the `Hamann Optimized Curve Maps Incl` upgrade. This increases the bhp by 25 apparently although not quite sure how they achieve this, maybe someone could enlighten me.

I understand that Hamann also have a 50bhp upgrade, achieving this by slapping on a sports exhaust. This is not what I am having, an extra 50bhp would be nice but in my opinion, this upgrade reduces the beauty of the car as it would have 4 tail pipes & look like something out of Halfords.

The problem Im having is dealing with a German speaking bmw/hamann dealership who do not/refuse to speak English. All my requests are going via a marketing lady in the dealer who speaks English but the technicians refuse to even come to the phone & try & speak to me in English. The actual Hamann people in Germany are not much use either.

Ok so onto my questions:

I was on the autobahn driving towards Stuttgart last weekend, I had a Merc S500 `workswagen`in front of me & we were both chugging along at 140mph ish. The Merc seemed to be able to accelerate from 140MPH faster than me & I thought this maybe because it being a works car didnt have the limiter in place. Would the limiter also decrease the acceleration rate, the closer it gets to the limited top speed?

The only tachometer that I can find is the Hamann one which is only in KPH. Ive searched this site & although there is a pointer to a dead link, no MPH dial up to 190mph exists for the Z8. Please correct me if Im wrong. (As im returning to the UK in September, a MPH speedo would be good)

If I decided to leave the current MPH in place, would this have any effect, ie would it just sit at the 155mph reading but continue to accelerate. How would this effect the rev counter?

If I go for the Hamann 300 KPH speedo, how will this effect the existing mph & service indicator window that is in the existing Speedo. Im assuming the mileage indicator will be reset to zero KPH but will the service intervals now be shown in KPH?

How do I prove the mileage when I come to sell the car, not that I want to obviously, but maybe one day I may have to, how then do I prove the mileage if the old MPH speedo`s mileage reading is blanked out as its an LCD display?

I had a new engine last year, courtesy of BMW, that's another story, but if & when I sell, it will be with a new engine & a kph Speedo indicating another reading in KPH & the old factory installed MPH unit, in a box with its MPH reading off, as its an LCD display. I assume that it can all be checked out at a beamer dealer, buts its going to look a bid dodgy when it comes to selling it dont you think?

Any other bits of advice re: this upgrade etc would be most helpful, its booked in for the upgrade next Friday 12th August 05.. then its Munich here I come at 188MPH...Oh & Ive been quoted 1000 pounds for this upgrade, the same upgrade in the UK would cost 1500 pounds..another case of the brits getting ripped off...?

For your help, there's a few pics of my car & the new m5 in switzerland

Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ands8/

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I don't know on the speedo issue. I can tell you that many Z8 owners have told me the car gets a little unstable around 150mph so removing a top speed limiter might not be a good idea. If your car feels like its lacking power, it would be advisable to have both MAFS (mass airflow sensor) checked. The dealer can do this. IF you search here on MAFS you will see a lot of excellent info on the topic. Basically they get dirty over time and will begin to send the engine conservative info on airflow, which causes the engine to make less power. My Z8 is a 2000 model and I just replaced my MAFS under the maintenance program. The car feels like it gained 80-100bhp!

I would ask your Z8 question here because there are a few members who are super knowledgeable. In particular, Id seek out Grease Monkey.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z8/forum.php

IMHO here are the mods worth doing, do a search here and there for info:

* QUAIFE LSD. Yes we have an open diff in the stock Z8 (and Alpina Roadster). Brett Anderson over at Koala Motorsport offered the Quaife in a housing that would fit the Z8. His also had a higher gear ratio of 3.64 vs. 3.38 in the stock. This gives about 8% more rear wheel power- the difference is noticeable- but it comes at the cost of top speed. Again, the cars theoritical top speed is like 180 or so, and it seems it doesnt like going that fast. I love it in my car.

* Better tires than the run flats. I like the pilot sports, but there are many nice tires out there. Keep in mind the Z8 tire sizes are not a common size.

* Eisenmann race exhaust- its just the mufflers- so you keep the stock look and the sound is fantastic!

* Dinan sway bars. Keep the front at the stock setting and the rear at one notch stiffer- this will help take just a tad of the understeer away but keep the comfort of the stock suspension.

Also check this website:
http://www.bmwz8.us/htmlL/chat_frame.htm

Macfly is a good guy. Specifically look for his eisenmann race exhaust install pictures.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Vey nice Z8 you have. With Alpina wheels and all!

You would be able to outaccelerate an S500. The Z8 should not have that bad aerydynamics so it is slower than the Z8. Maybe your 20´Alpina wheels is stealing power when acclerating? Big radius and heavy maybe.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Gustav,
Actually the Z8 is not very aerodynamic. I believe one of the engineers was quoted as saying something like "we had 400bhp so aerodynamics didn't matter too much". I am sure they do but they were restricted with a shape that is first and foremost there for aesthetics.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think that you should ask for full ex. like headers, mufflers, free flow ex. and a remap. That would give new life to your car.

regards Eduardo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not unhappy with my cars performance, the new engine last year breathed new life into it, not that it was to sluggish before.

Stuttgart is the home of Mercedes & Porsche head offices & the autobahns feeding into that city are often full with company special vehicles & the like. The roads around Stuttgart are a joy to be on, a surprise around every bend..

Ill indeed get the MAFS checked & maybe a Hamann suspension package if the car is unstable at high speeds after the conversion, we`ll have to see. The upgrade is being done mainly because I dont like the reduced acceleration as I approach the 155MPH limited top speed. The cost of just removing the limiter is not far from getting the extra 25BHP & so ill go for that option.

My main concerns at the moment is the tachometer & to either go for the KPH one or leave the factory default in place.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well,

In your case, I would not mess with the speedo, as you can check your real speed on your OBC.
Just to let you know, I saw a few M5 with chip upgrade and full ex. and headers work, and all of them were dynoed more than 27 RWHP (rear wheel hp) This is a big diff. in performance, only with a few mods like these.

May I ask what happend with your engine ???
Best regards, Eduardo

andyt said:
Im not unhappy with my cars performance, the new engine last year breathed new life into it, not that it was to sluggish before.

Stuttgart is the home of Mercedes & Porsche head offices & the autobahns feeding into that city are often full with company special vehicles & the like. The roads around Stuttgart are a joy to be on, a surprise around every bend..

Ill indeed get the MAFS checked & maybe a Hamann suspension package if the car is unstable at high speeds after the conversion, we`ll have to see. The upgrade is being done mainly because I dont like the reduced acceleration as I approach the 155MPH limited top speed. The cost of just removing the limiter is not far from getting the extra 25BHP & so ill go for that option.

My main concerns at the moment is the tachometer & to either go for the KPH one or leave the factory default in place.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
In that case I would do the mods and I would work with Hamann or other to help you with the speedo issue- because I do not know. One suggestion is for you to seek out Shadowman, who is a member and a sponsor here- his company is Discovery Automotive and he seems to know a lot about modifying the Z8.

MBrasil, you may not know this- but the Z8's OBC does not show the actual speed. There is a lot of data that the regular BMWs have that the Z8's MID (multi-info-display) does not show.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its academic now.

The Hamann dealer would need to send my speedo back to the Hamann factory in Germany for exchange or something, couldnt quite understand the reason why they cannot swap it over. But as that takes 2-3 weeks, I will no longer be in Switzerland. So, Ill leave the factory installed untill my return to the UK & decided then on the speedo upgrade.

When the car was in for the new wheels last summer, I got it back & noticed a pinking sound coming from the engine as if some foreign object was in there floating around. It was very suttle & the bmw engineer had a hard time hearing it at first. The initial prognosis was that it was the vanos`s & so they ordered them in & replaced them. Alas, that wasnt the problem & the engineer thought some metal shavings or similar had got into the engine some how. The choice was to either strip the engine down & hopefully find the fault or fit a new engine. It was all under guarantee & so they said it would be cheaper to fit a new engine, which they did. Please I didnt have to pay the 20K GBP bill...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ops, my fault...

sorry for bad info !hmmm

MEnthusiast said:
In that case I would do the mods and I would work with Hamann or other to help you with the speedo issue- because I do not know. One suggestion is for you to seek out Shadowman, who is a member and a sponsor here- his company is Discovery Automotive and he seems to know a lot about modifying the Z8.

MBrasil, you may not know this- but the Z8's OBC does not show the actual speed. There is a lot of data that the regular BMWs have that the Z8's MID (multi-info-display) does not show.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't waste your time with the Hamann software. It does nothing for performance. It is actually written be Superchip and it only removes the speed limiter, raises the rev limiter and changes the throttle sensetivity. A lot of money for very little.

CW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts