BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that this car has retained its value over time. What are your thoughts about the price in the future?

My guess is that with the new V10 engine, they can build a new Z10 (or however they'd designate it), and maybe the Z8s will no longer be so attractive.

BTW, I've an offer for a 2001, that is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a silver/black with 20" full polish "radenergies" and love it. You won't be disappointed. By the way I'm also looking for a lemans blue M5 at the moment.

Henrik Fisker designed the Z8 and I seriousl doubt that any car in the near future will have the timeless style of the Z8. Just my thoughts! Jonny

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Sampsue. You have a point there, there could be newer and more powerful cars always but not with the same style and design, specially with Bangle around.

I've seen a few in Dupont Registry and even Ebay to have an idea about the price. I even saw a '03 Alpina at at dealer in Chicago (Motor Werks), they're asking $113.9K

My question is because there is really no market here (Mexico) for these cars so I'd hope to sell it to someone in the US in the future (if needs be). I won't have the benefit of extended warranty and I understand that a DOT registry could be costly which could be great cons against my "strategy".

Good luck with the Lemans Blue M5 hunting!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello!

Well I think the Z8 is a really good one and it will retaine its value but I think for example an M5 keeps its value as well as that. But I vote prefer for the Z4 in the roadsters :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't know much about the Z8 market except that I saw numerous dealers and sellers trying to get 30k+ over MSRP, not selling them, and then having to drop the prices under MSRP to move them, this was back when it was introduced, and shortly there after.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
IMHO the Z8 was a classic the day it debuted in 1997 as the Z07 show car.

The pricing history was that some cars were sold for super hyper markups in 2000 and then the pricing came down. Last summer seems to have been the bottom- a 8,000 mile car might go for the low 90s (USA). Now prices are creeping higher with sales that I have heard of being in the 105-115k range on similar models. As time progresses and the cars are grabbed by those who want them for the long term and (GFB) others are out of service the supply will tighten even more and demand will probably stay about the same. I doubt the release of a new super BMW or anyone else's super car will make a big change to the demand that is there for a Z8 since it is a special car that hits home with a special audience.

I've had mine for nearly 5 years and its been all happy moments. I consider it a classic- though Im not sure if I'd call it a "cult" :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
If I had the money I would love to have one in the garage, I think they look great, Josh

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
What got me about the Z8's was not just the drivetrain, but the complete and utter perfection when it came to fit and finish on the inside. An old customer has a few of them that he imported, and then sold, and the time I spent around them was spent in awe. Not one missed stich, not one gap irregular. The inside of the E39 is great, but the classy details, the design and the finish of the E52 makes it a winner in my book. I hope to own one someday.
So there is no cult Jerry? I thought all Z8 owners slaughtered virgin goats on their hoods to appease the car gods, but I guess that was just hearsay...:hihi:
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Gustav said:
I think it even looks like in Germany the BMW Z8 prices are climbing!
Whatever happened to that chassis damage issue from normal road use? Wasn't there a lawsuit in process here in the US?

·
Registered
46 Posts
CSBM5 said:
Whatever happened to that chassis damage issue from normal road use? Wasn't there a lawsuit in process here in the US?

No lawsuit. BMW did engineer a performance package to address concerns without admitting there was a problem. Basically it consists of plates on the towers for strength and a bar across the engine compart attached to the frame spurs on the at the shock towers. Mine gets this installed later this month.

As far as being or becoming a classic. I think so, which is why I got mine. The lines are great. Compare it to a classic jag roadster and you can see the see what I mean. Also since BMW said they would provide parts for this car for 50 years (I have it in writing for what it is worth:hihihi: ), it will add to the value I believe.

This is good news for E39 owners, as they share that fabulous engine :biggrinbounce: , so at least those parts will be around for a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BMW released a 'Performance Package' for the Z8 in the fall of 2006. It consists of a stress bar & strut dome tower reinforcements which help to strengthen the whole front end of the vehicle.
I have put the whole issue behind me & am looking forward to many happy hours of carefree motoring pleasure.
Sorry for repetition. We crossed postings!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Does anyone have photo's of this setup?

fun2drive said:
BMW released a 'Performance Package' for the Z8 in the fall of 2006. It consists of a stress bar & strut dome tower reinforcements which help to strengthen the whole front end of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hyper Z8....

Just an FYI. When I was at Dinan 10 days ago, they had a customer Z8 there. The whole front end was off and engine bay was empty. I asked why it was there and what they were doing to it. Steve Dinan said the customer had commissioned them to install one of their DP race engines (S62 motor), tuned for street application, in it. He said it will be producing about 550hp, NA.

'Suspect any "collector" value will diminish because of that mod. But it'd sure be fun!!

Dan :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
dan,

you shld not have brought that up. even though a z8 is not in my immediate future, evil intentions have already been seeded in my mind. i **guesstimate** an s3'd z8 would cost around 150k-160k when all is said and done. i dont think there's anything i'd rather own for that money. just my 2c. and to heck with the 'collector' value of that.

jack

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
:biggrinbounce: Any mroe info on this engine?

drm64099 said:
Just an FYI. When I was at Dinan 10 days ago, they had a customer Z8 there. The whole front end was off and engine bay was empty. I asked why it was there and what they were doing to it. Steve Dinan said the customer had commissioned them to install one of their DP race engines (S62 motor), tuned for street application, in it. He said it will be producing about 550hp, NA.

'Suspect any "collector" value will diminish because of that mod. But it'd sure be fun!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gustav said:
:biggrinbounce: Any mroe info on this engine?
When I was there Steve said that they are removing 8lbs of weight from the engine. Then S2 parts with head work, bigger valves, cams, and vainos work. Thats what I remember...

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
drm64099 said:

wow, they're still working on that car!? That was there back when our little group toured dinan in august (originally to see fast 5's S3). That must be costing some $$. This was a guy from the roadfly Z8 board, iirc.
Mike

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
How many Z8s were made in the US and in Europe? From what I recall/understand only around 500 were made for the US?

I certainly hope there's some available when I'm ready to buy. It's been on my list for a few years but I keep sabotaging myself by buying other bimmers first.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts