BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully replaced the stock radio in a Z8 with an aftermarket unit? I am not interested in preserving the nav or phone functions, just in-dash CD and FM. Thanks for sharing. (I have already checked bmwz8.us)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I wish I could help you, but I can't. I'm just amazed that there is actually a Z8 member on the forum. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Your one of the first Z8 members ive seen on here make a thread! I know Alpywhite has a Z8, and asidee from the above 2 posts I dont think i see very many if any at all Z8 owners. Such a beautiful vehicle!

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's at least three of us!

I use the stock head unit as well. The Eisenmann race mufflers tend to dominate the airwaves so I don't use the radio very often.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Damn, those rides are sweet! :goldcup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Despite the same engine, it's a totally different driving experience. It's quicker, easier to hear the sweet exhaust, and at nine-tenths is more jittery and less predictable than the M5. If I was track driving, I'd take the M5.

On the other hand, everywhere I go people stop me to ask about the car. Not so with the M5.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My factory head unit died. It didn't sound that great to start, so thus the search for aftermarket. The speakers are made by Harmon Kardon, so they're not bad.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Without knowing anything about the Z8, I can almost guarantee that like the E39 and other BMWs of this era, that the head unit produces good line out signal and that the amp and speakers are the weak point. With such a classy car, you should really consider replacing it with another OEM head unit - you'll probably get that money back at resale. If you're not happy with the sound, you should be able to add an amp and speakers either by tapping the line level out on the head unit wiring, or if necessary using a LOC like a cleansweep. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Man I love the Z8!! Just so out of the world styling, like nothing else you see. I remember the first time i saw one, i had absolutely no idea what the hell it was. Especially from behind. Reminded me of the spaceships from Independence Day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OEM replacement is more than $1000 (it has nav and phone capabilities). Many owners have replaced theirs and the new units have failed too. I think there may be a design flaw.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Beautiful car! I would love to go for a ride some day...hint =)

Have you talked to Benchmark? Not the cheapest, but they know what they are doing. They are the only ones in the Seattle area I would trust with something as custom as that would have to be. Derek has been there for years and he has great follow through. Otherwise I don't really have any other suggestions for you.

Cheers,
Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts