BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
After recently having some good runs with the Z4MC and M3 V8 and RS4 (see seperate thread titled Z4 M Coupe vs M3 V8) i was keen to see how the Z4MC would do against the new C63.

From standstill, the cars are evenly matched in 1st and 2nd gear. From 3rd, however, the C63 pulls away quite rapidly.

We did a couple of rolling runs aswell...3rd gear rolling saw the C63 pull about a car length ahead, and from 4th gear it was no contest. The C63 really demolished the Z4MC. I wonder whether the C63 was performing a "Kick-down" to 2nd gear automatically in this rolling run?

In the video below, we did a 2nd gear roll. The Z4MC and C63 are side by side for the whole of 2nd gear, but the C63 pulls about 2 car lengths by the end of 3rd. From 4th its no contest. 5th gets even uglier!

<object height="350" width="425">
</object>

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw one video only. After your test what do you think about M3, is slower or faster then C63?
From standstill i found the Z4MC, M3 V8 sedan and C63 were pretty even for 1st and 2nd gear. From 3rd gear on the C63 did seem to have the biggest balls. One must bear in mind that the M3 had not performed its break-in service which some claim makes a big difference (i think this is a debateable topic).

My overall impression is that the C63 was quicker than the M3 sedan.

Interestingly, some local (South African) magazines testing the M3 vs C63 vs RS4 have been getting some really bad 0-100 km/h times for the C63

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
No doubt C63 is a faster car than M3 V8, 457hp/600nm is a lot. But question is, how much faster is the C63 than a M3?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
You will need RacePrecesion.com Ram air scoops and custom tune (Powerchip) to get the Z4M up to speed...

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
You will need RacePrecesion.com Ram air scoops and custom tune (Powerchip) to get the Z4M up to speed...
-Don't you mean RPI intake scoop and RPI software?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw this info a little while ago. Is this kind of power gain really possible from just an intake and ECU flash on this engine?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Wirelessly posted (laidback: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/20.0.015; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

tHeDoCtOr said:
Saw this info a little while ago. Is this kind of power gain really possible from just an intake and ECU flash on this engine?
yes... Give rpi a call.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Wirelessly posted (laidback: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/20.0.015; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

palantirion said:
-Don't you mean RPI intake scoop and RPI software?
Earl, it's a collaboration between rpi and powerchip.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts

-Ahh, didn't know that. So it's Powerchip writing to RPI's parameters?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

palantirion said:

-Ahh, didn't know that. So it's Powerchip writing to RPI's parameters?
parameters and specifications that is geared towards rpi products and can also be customed tuned with other mods.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm... If this is true it is amazing. Im a bit sceptical though... I thought there was not much power to be extracted from ECU tuning of this engine? Now im hearing that by simply adding a scoop to direct air to a BMC airfilter and then flashing the ECU you can get 20 - 25 wHP ???

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Yes...alot of people were skeptical aswell including me but we dyno'd and did some real world testing with other Z4M and it works...

Hmmm... If this is true it is amazing. Im a bit sceptical though... I thought there was not much power to be extracted from ECU tuning of this engine? Now im hearing that by simply adding a scoop to direct air to a BMC airfilter and then flashing the ECU you can get 20 - 25 wHP ???

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
-Yep. I wouldn't have believed it either, but I was there when they installed the scoop and did the before-after dynos. I got 12.5hp just with the scoop - still stock filter and software. I'm going the ESS route for software, because I intend to go the supercharger route with them later on. I'll dyno my RPI/ESS combo in a week or two after I run miles on it for the computer to learn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts