BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not! Two to 3 foot tall drifts, no problem, it is just a matter of conserving momentum and having the right tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's all about the tyres... mine was awful and ended up stuck on about 2 inch compacted... but I wouldn't expect anything else from 285 PS2's and I new what I was getting into - still fun though.

Trying to control revs and clutch is very hard if not impossible with the SMG on an inclined snow covered road - so I was constantly spinning and for some reason the car would not let me set off in second despite selection through changing or settings - weird.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6 Speed manual certainly makes snow driving easier, and yes Gustav, I was playing snowplow.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I can't imagine taking my M5 out in the snow - safety reasons for one and the fact that a speck of salt might touch it...my solution to that is below:

·
Registered
150 Posts
took the Beast out the other night with the Pirelli Sottozero's -

No problem on the hills

Pulled up next to a guy in a Camaro ss - He was spinning at the light.

Rolled the window down - smiled -

And left him - cursing to himself.........lol

I love winter with the ///M5

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will keep mine in the garage, to many crazies out there with minimum insurance…:confused:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I will keep mine in the garage, to many crazies out there with minimum insurance…:confused:
That is why YOU have insurance on your car :) I am one that LOVES to drive my vehicles, everything can be replaced or repaired and with a car that someone really cares about, all the body/rust issues WILL be repaired.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have 40-50 inchs of snow with 8 ft snowbanks in Mass this season. My M5 does fine in 5-6inches of snow daily. I drive 50 miles each way to work on the pike. So far so good. I have Pirelli Sottozero's

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm using the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, and am very happy with them. I just wish they had a little more traction with pulling away from a stop. Otherwise, they are a great match for the car. They are very quiet, handle well in the dry, wet, and snow. Ice traction is adequate, as is traction on packed snow. It's a tradeoff I am willing to make for better clear road performance. I had Nokian Hakapelitta RSi tyres on my E39 M5 and they were awesome in the crud, but sucked the fun out of the car the rest of the time.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
:goldcup:

took the Beast out the other night with the Pirelli Sottozero's -

Pulled up next to a guy in a Camaro ss - He was spinning at the light.

Rolled the window down - smiled -

And left him - cursing to himself.........lol

I love winter with the ///M5

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The M5 is awesome in the snow if you have the proper tires. My wife drives her M in the snow with great confidence.
"Awesome" might be a bit of an overstatement. A 500 hp rwd sedan, even with the right tires, is going to be acceptable at best, especially if you've driven AWD in the snow.

For what it is, I'm sure the M5 is ok in the snow, but it's all relative.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Awesome" might be a bit of an overstatement. A 500 hp rwd sedan, even with the right tires, is going to be acceptable at best, especially if you've driven AWD in the snow.

For what it is, I'm sure the M5 is ok in the snow, but it's all relative.
Having driven an AWD Audi allroad and B5 S4 through a number of Northeast winters, I can tell you that they were better at getting moving, but the M5 handles better given its near 50/50 weight distribution. The Audis understeered horribly, and getting on the gas just made you hit the curb faster. I can steer with the throttle much easier in the M5. One of the car mags did a comparison between front and AWD variants of the same car and found the non AWD cars were better in the snow/ice in everything except getting moving.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Getting going can easily be the hardest part. I whizzed past a lady in an Altima who couldn't get on to the main street this morning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With 4 Blizzaks & 6MT I only worry about it if the front starts to plow snow. Thank goodness BMW agreed to reprogram me so I can turn the traction control completely off. What fun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts