BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mechanic friend of mine recommend this oil to me for my 2000 beast. Do you think this would be a even better alternative instead of the 10w60?

Any scientific backing in one v.s. the other is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Toronto is rather cold during winter I guess, so why use an oil that has no capabilities under maybe -10? And the exact same qualities (60) when warm...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bayerischemotor said:
Toronto is rather cold during winter I guess, so why use an oil that has no capabilities under maybe -10? And the exact same qualities (60) when warm...
I sholuld have mentioned that my car is only summer driven however you think there would be no benefits of using this oil over the 10w60 even in the summer months?

My mechanic friend seemd to think it wold offer superior protection however this wouldnt be the first time he was wrong.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
GT4ME said:
I had a mechanic friend of mine recommend this oil to me for my 2000 beast. Do you think this would be a even better alternative instead of the 10w60?

Any scientific backing in one v.s. the other is greatly appreciated
Viscosity is too thick, unless it's being trailered & run at Trois-Riviere or Belleville (lol). Such lube requires elevated temps or looser clearances.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
20w60 seems way to thick for our cars
I wouldn't risk it. You're engine gets most of it's wear with-in the first two minutes after startup, unless you are trashing it at the track. Thick multi weight oils require all kinds of VI improvers and some tend to thicken over time rather thinning out. In an Arizona summer I would only consider using 10W-60 and nothing thicker.

Regards,

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts