BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like so many people and threads before me, I too am looking to purchase an M5, but from reading about all the maintenance, it's kind of scary. I know that you guys advise to purchase a car with lower mileage even though it will cost more initially, rather than worry about more warranty/maintenance down the road. But my question is, what year is your car, and what is your monthly/yearly maintenance cost for it? What is the biggest job you had to do on the car? From what I've read, it seems like 2000's and even some 2001's are cars that one would want to stay away from. I need the car to be reliable and it will most likely be daily driven depending costs, if not daily, at least 3 days a week then. Thanks in advance guys!

Forgot to ask, what matters more, Year or Mileage? And which year had the most engine/VANOS problems? I know about the usual maintenance such as brakes, rotors, seals, gaskets and suspension bushings, thats understandable and it comes with mileage. But I would much rather have a car that has no engine problems with the carbon build up and the other very very costly items like the vanos and whatnot.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Do you DIY or will you pay a professional?

The cost is about 3-4X greater when someone else does it.

There is no preferable year when it comes to failures or maintenance- The issues that affect 2001s will just affect 2003s, as a class, two years later.

Also, you need to be clear on what is scaring you- 'maintenance; or 'repairs'. Maintenance is pretty easy...
Here are the top of my had intervals:
Brakes 30-40k
Suspension 50k (Bushings, etc)
Engine 50k (Plugs, MAFs, O2s, CPS)
Oil 5k
Filters 10k
Fluids 50k (Diff & Tranny)
Clutch ?

There is NO way to budget and plan for failures...

A

·
10,458 Posts
my 00 has been out of warranty for a couple of years, no major repairs over that time. Oil and filters, a pair of tires, some brake pads.

Recently needed a thermostat, had the dealer do it for about $600, could have probably done it myself, didn't want to, didn't have the time, didn't want the hassle.
Now it's at my independent shop, went in for a tech inspection for a track weekend, and brake fluid flush (again, yeah, could have done it myself, but makes more sense for me to let them do it). Needs rear diff mounts (ah, yeah, i do have a clunking noise from the rear), and i added to the list some other "oh, while you're at it, could you...." to the tune of $2k +/- a couple hundred.

Funny, i did actually ask the dealer to look at the suspension regarding the clunking, they could not duplicate it, and the suspension looked fine, other than aftermarket parts.
I haven't spent much on it for a long time, so it's reasonable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys!

Ard, you are correct, maintenance is not the problem, it's the repairs.

I was thinking that the later years didn't have as many repairs needed as the older models because the issues had been worked out.

So would it be just as safe as to buy a low mileage 00 compared to a low mileage 01 or 02?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't own an M5, but an '03 540i Sport/M-Teck.....

My Indy's opinion is to get a well maintained car.
BMW's get a bad wrap, cause they're high strung cars that are driven harder on average.
Therefor if not well maintained, they brake down.
Basically.....you pay...to play.
Not denying that E39's have their few quirks (cooling, suspension & electronics), but many of the problems you read about on the boards are a result of lead footed driving or a poor maintenance record (mostly by previous owner).
My '03 (w/ 24K on the odometer) is still on original warranty for another month, but for next year I'm budgeting about $1500/yr for maintenance and repairs (not incl. tires).
That number will probably go up to $2500/yr once the car is 8-10 years old and might be slightly higher on M5's.
Personally, I won't touch a car without a detailed maintenance history.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
2003. Cost for the first 67,500 miles = $ 0.00.

I'm sure that's not what you are looking for.

All BMWs have full maintenance coverage for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles. Since I am the original owner I have the extended coverage, as well.

Mine has been exemplary ... but, out of warranty can be another issue, and you never know. You have to due a thorough check, including the kind of driver the car had, if at all possible.

·
10,458 Posts
So would it be just as safe as to buy a low mileage 00 compared to a low mileage 01 or 02?
well, there were some 'updates' done over the years, so many 00's have had work done under warranty, if the car was used enough. Theoretically, you could get an 00 that had so few miles, little 'wore out' or was done to it under warranty. Things like vanos accumulators, etc. I've heard there were a couple of vanos updates thru the years. my car has one original vanos, and one that was replaced in 03 under warranty.

Would depend on the particular car and it's service history. When i was under warranty, i complained about everything, and have a thick service file to show for it. Someone who was not as particular could have lived with some issues that would have otherwise been covered.

·
8,369 Posts
In my case, it is not the repairs that cost me a lot of money, it is the mods and upgrades. It never ends!

If you have great self control over spending money on upgrades or prefers to keep your beast stock, and you know how to do minor repairs yourself, then you should be fine.

+1 to what Ard listed.

Things on my 2001 that failed that had to be replaced which is common to most cars with 70,000 miles which I regard as normal wear and tear.

Cam Position Sensor replacement.
Thermostat Replacement.
Battery
Tires every 2 years (drive it like you stole it)
Vanos position control solenoid.
Instrument cluster replacement (free from BMW : )

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Miles are just a number. I guarantee you there are M5's with say 8000 miles that have more issues than a 50,000k mile m5 and vice versa. Its more important to find out the history- and if it was taken care of more so than finding the lowest miles. Low miles does not guarantee defect free. Issues can happen with low to no use, just as issues happen with high use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it, I'll definitely be checking out the vehicle history first. Is there any place where I can check the recalls for each year? Thanks again everyone!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Got it, I'll definitely be checking out the vehicle history first. Is there any place where I can check the recalls for each year? Thanks again everyone!
There is a site on the Internet that lists ALL recalls. Search for it with Google.

Very, very few recalls on the E39 M5s.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
on the topic of maintenance, is there a pdf or link to what each service interval is and what each service entails?
BMW Inspection I

The BMW Inspection 1 Service is the smaller of the two inspection services recommended by BMW. It includes basically all of the items that assures safety and full functionality of your vehicle. Other makes and models can also utilize this maintenance program to ensure a pleasant drive and ownership (But make sure you mechanic says it is OK first). Inspection 1 could cost in the range of $200+ to $300+ depending on who you go to and also if you have any repairs. (Repair cost are not included in the inspection cost) So be prepared to spend more!. If your mechanical skills are high, just DO-It-Yourself! The items that are generally checked are listed below.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=600>Undercarriage<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Change engine oil and filter oil while engine is at normal operation temperature.
  2. Check transmission for leaks.
  3. Check rear axle for leaks.
  4. Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
  5. Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
  6. Check power steering system for leaks.
  7. Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
  8. Examine brake disc surfaces.
  9. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
  10. Grease wheel center hubs.
  11. Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
  12. Check front control arm bushing for wear.
  13. Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
  14. Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
  15. Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
  16. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->Engine Compartment<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Read out diagnostic system
  2. Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
  3. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
  4. Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
  5. Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
  6. Check air conditioner for operation.
  7. Reset Service Indicator.
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->Body/Electrical Equipment<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
  2. Perform batter load test.
  3. Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
  4. Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
  5. Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
  6. Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
  7. Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
  8. Check condition and function of safety belts.
  9. Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
  10. Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
  11. Check central locking/double lock.
  12. Replace microfilter or Acc. Cabin Filter.
  13. Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
  14. Check rear view mirrors
  15. Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->Final Inspection<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->

Inspection II

The Inspection 2 Service is the larger of the two Inspection Services and basically includes all of the items performed on the Inspection I Service along with some extras like differential oil change; fuel filter and air filter replacements; Replacement of spark plugs. Inspection 2 generally runs around $400+ to $500+. Below are the items that are normally performed.
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=600>Undercarriage<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Change engine oil and filter oil while engine is at normal operation temperature.
  2. Check transmission for leaks.
  3. Check rear axle for leaks.
  4. Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
  5. Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
  6. Check power steering system for leaks.
  7. Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
  8. Examine brake disc surfaces.
  9. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
  10. Grease wheel center hubs.
  11. Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
  12. Check front control arm bushing for wear.
  13. Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
  14. Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
  15. Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
  16. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
  17. Check thickness of parking brake linings.
  18. Half-shafts; check for leaks at flexible boots.
  19. Inspect entire body according to terms of rust prevention limited warranty. <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->Engine Compartment<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Read out diagnostic system
  2. Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
  3. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
  4. Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
  5. Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
  6. Check air conditioner for operation.
  7. Reset Service Indicator.
  8. Replace spark plugs.
  9. Replace intake air cleaner element.
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->Body/Electrical Equipment<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
  2. Perform batter load test.
  3. Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
  4. Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
  5. Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
  6. Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
  7. Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
  8. Check condition and function of safety belts.
  9. Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
  10. Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
  11. Check central locking/double lock.
  12. Replace microfilter or Acc Cabin Filter.
  13. Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
  14. Check rear view mirrors
  15. Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->Final Inspection<!--mstheme--></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><!--mstheme-->
  1. Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission
<!--mstheme-->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->

These are the recommended interval for models years from 1986 through 1998 models, more frequent inspections are essential if driven in extreme conditions:
<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->5,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->10,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->15,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->20,000 miles - BMW Inspection I (I/1) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->25,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->30,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->35,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->40,000 miles - BMW Inspection II (I/2) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->45,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->50,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->55,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->60,000 miles - BMW Inspection I (I/1) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->65,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->70,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->75,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->80,000 miles - BMW Inspection II (I/2) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->85,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->90,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->95,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->

For 1999 and later models, the recommended service/inspection intervals are as follows:

<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->5,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->10,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->15,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->20,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->25,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->30,000 miles - BMW Inspection I (I/1) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->35,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->40,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->45,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->50,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->55,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->60,000 miles - BMW Inspection II (I/2) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->65,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->70,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->75,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->80,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->85,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->90,000 miles - BMW Inspection I (I/1) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->95,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F) <!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->100,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->

Oil and Safety Service (O/S)
Inspection I Service (I/1)
Inspection II Service (I/2)
Intermediate oil service (O/F)

Here is the link

I think the same information is given when you log into the BMW owner's circle.

Reactions: ickyfehmleh

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
+1...:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:
In my case, it is not the repairs that cost me a lot of money, it is the mods and upgrades. It never ends!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
love the looks of the car! price looks reasonable, too.
figure on $2 - 4 grand for a clutch to be installed by a mechanic, depending on whether you want OEM or the big one that the car should have come with.

The clutch wouldn't be changed out under warranty?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts