BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Your ideas: make m5board.com better / how to keep a high quality of the content

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  farrell 
#1 ·
Your ideas: make m5bpoard.com better / how to keep a high quality of the content

Dear members:

as more owners join and as more visitors we get we still have to maintain a quality and a camarediere among the members. To enforce the quality and of mutual respect between members of different nationalities, religions, car brands etc I propose some minor changes. But I am also open to your ideas how to keep up the quality while having a very good flow of information as well.

• Flaming, when a post get out of hand because of members start to argue on a public forum will not be allowed. Solve this via Private Messaging or e-mail, do not escalate it by replying on this forum.
  • No name calling to fellow members. In a humorous way yes, but never in a degrading way towards the other member. Best way is to mail me gustav@bmwm5.com and tell me about it and I remove this post. Do not reply in the same way as the flamer, it will then escalate quickly.
  • Posts that are deliberatly posted to stir up rouble will be deleted
  • Well thought-out posting is encouraged. The better you state your post, question or reply the better feedback you will get. Also the more appreciated you will get among fellow members. Exactly the opposite with bad thought out posts.
  • When you made your point and the other party made his point, please do not escalate it to a never ending heated discussion. Always remain civil as you are in your everyday life.
If anyone breaches this the member status will be removed and it will be put back to Member status only after the member have intitiated a discussion with me over e-mail and we agreed on what was wrong and what is to be changed in the users behaviour in the future. It is the member who is responsible for contacting me. The above rules along with your members feedback will be added to the rules when new members sign-up.

Please post your suggestions and also post if you feel that the quality of the posts have deteriorated over the last months and why. Also your opinions how to make the quality better are welcomed.

Lastly, you should spend your time here becuase it is fun and informative and not because it is similar to a soap opera ;)

Threads related to this can be this one. Also have a look at the early posts from early 2000: here.

Thanks for your feedback!

See less See more
#3 ·
mhh said:
Gustav, I like the way you run this site, and I agree with your new rules. A tightly run site like this is always a pleasure to visit. :)
So far I have been impressed with this site as well and havent seen as much flaming as you would see from a forum with a car of lesser quality. i hope these rules stay enforced as i know its difficult to watch over it all.

whats the difference between a member status and regular status? Is regular just meaning guest status?

#4 ·
Sorry for the confusion. There is no difference. Member si the same as "regular status". Changed the wording. Also I might add that I approve every new member personally.

Redstradic said:
So far I have been impressed with this site as well and havent seen as much flaming as you would see from a forum with a car of lesser quality. i hope these rules stay enforced as i know its difficult to watch over it all.

whats the difference between a member status and regular status? Is regular just meaning guest status?

#5 ·
Gustav said:
Sorry for the confusion. There is no difference. Member si the same as "regular status". Changed the wording. Also I might add that I approve every new member personally.

That is a very good point. Also make sure they don't own an M3 ! :haha2:

I would like to see regular posters allowed to upload their own avatar / car pic.

Overall though, the support this site offers was in part the reason I bought my car in the first place. Great!

Cheers

M5 Powered

#7 ·
Gustav said:
Pirctures of you car can be uploaded here as you may know:

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2248&thumb=1

Custom avatars are removed since that may increase the clutter on the site.

Thanks for your feedback and comments!

Hi Gustav,

Yeah I know about uploading images. It was avatars I was after. In that case any chance we could get a nice set of late E34 avatar pics made possibly in rosso red ??? :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Re: Your ideas: make m5bpoard.com better / how to keep a high quality of the content

Gustav, any chance of getting a spell check added, I'm not familiar with what you can do or can't do with the system that run's this Forum, but I can appreciate that it may be impossible to add such a feature.
I must agree that this is an excellent forum and a fantastic source of information.
As far as flaming is concerned, I dont think I have read any threads / posts in the e34 section that have been malicious. All the flaming / slagging must take place in the e39 forum....hmmm

Regards,
Phil.
Thanks for your feedback![/QUOTE]

#9 ·
Agree with all comments.

I was a "founder member" on the www.lancerregister.com forum, so tended to contribute an awful lot by answering other people's questions.

Now I've moved across here with the M5, I find I'm the one doing the asking - and the responses I get are generally well thought out and well explained - and most of all knowledgable.

Don't think I've yet encountered a flame war or any nastiness.

So - keep up the good work guys! :thumbsup:

#10 · (Edited)
I must admit that even before I purchased my M5. I was scanning both this and you excellent web site - Thanks Gustav.

This was and is a fantastic forum and source of information for all enthusiasts both without cars and for those with cars.

As for flaming I think I have only ever read one thread where this happend, although I am not the most experienced on the board, but on the whole most people calm down and appear to come away with amicable agreement and I think that this underlines the community that has built up due to this forum.

As to imporving the content well as more and more people join and ask the same questions they are refered to previous threads where this precious information exists and I think that fact that this does happen is great. Yes ever so often there are subjects which may not belong on the board but the overall content is very good.

You, Gustav have succeeded in building a community that spans the globe where all comment is relevant and all can have there say. Fantastic.

#14 ·
Re: Your ideas: make m5bpoard.com better / how to keep a high quality of the content

Hi Gustav
I have used the board in its old & new format for at least 4 yrs.
It was good then & it is good now. Thankyou to you & the moderators for a useful & sometimes very funny board.
The fact that you dont intervene much speaks volumes for the general std of most members posts.
I cant remember a thread getting out of hand, apart from technical misunderstandings.

I struggle to see how it could be improved upon.
The Moderators & members around the world make the board what it is.

Regards
Farrell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.