BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be in the wrong section but i couldn't find a better one to put it in so mods feel free to move it. I have a 05 330ci and my dad has a e60 m5, its a 6spd with 49k miles on it. When we bought it about 5 months ago my dad bought the 100,000 miles extended service with the car for roughly i believe 14 grand. Obviously our extended warranty hasent even started yet because he only drives it about 15,000 a year and dosent plan on having it when the extended warranty runs out because of the cost of maintenance and repairs which i highly suggested for him to do..My dad has alot of fun in the car when we go around town and when he drives it but theres just one thing i dont understand. I know the m5 is a amazing machine and my dad will speed through the gears and power shift hear and there but he feels that taking the engine past persay 7500 rpm will be putting to much stress on the engine and its health. Ive told him that the bmw engineers in germany would not have made the car able to go to 8200 if it weren't able to handle it regularly with reliability. I made this thread so that i can persuade my dad that the engine is able to do that without loosing long term health of the engine. Keep in mind everything is free under warranty he just wants to be gentle with the engine and not push it to stress level. I want to show this thread to my dad and show him that all of you members are doing this on a regular basis and its your dd driving 25,000 miles a year. If anyone has some good wisdom or points you could share to make this a worthwhile arugment with my dad so that he can enjoy the car to its full potential.

Thanks everyone and i love this board!
:typing:

·
Registered
917 Posts
The car is meant to be driven hard. I have gone through three SMG transmissions but its a lot of fun when I get the car back after repairs. Doesn't dissuade me from pushing it. This is what it was meant for. As for the money your dad spent on warranty, I think that number is very high (mine ran about 4K from BMW and I got it at 49K miles).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Tell your dad not to worry about the engine. As you said, it was DESIGNED to be driven at high RPM's. It's in its element between 5,000 and 8,000 RPM. People with more expertise on the topic can chime in, but my understanding is it's basically a detuned version of BMW's F1 racing engine.

As a matter of personal experience, I don't redline it every day. But when the urge hits I have ZERO concerns about running right up to the 8,250 RPM redline. This is my second E60 and I've never had any engine issues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am not so concerned with the engine but rather the transmission. I have the SMG (I think the E60 M5 was engineered to have the SMG) which is problematic and I try not to do a lot of shifts at redline. I think you would be hard pressed to find a lot of people having engine problems or people who have blown an engine at high miles. The S85 is not called the beast for no reason. Most people who mod, actually have the redline increased to 8400 from the stock 8250. So, my opinion is that driving it hard every once in a while is fine and the car was built to handle high revving hard driving. I suggest your father find somewhere to really open her up- S6, DSC off (or whatever setting is similar in the 6 speed) and stand on the pedal. He will only then know the true thrill of owning this car and what its capabilities are.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I am not so concerned with the engine but rather the transmission. I have the SMG (I think the E60 M5 was engineered to have the SMG) which is problematic and I try not to do a lot of shifts at redline. I think you would be hard pressed to find a lot of people having engine problems or people who have blown an engine at high miles. The S85 is not called the beast for no reason. Most people who mod, actually have the redline increased to 8400 from the stock 8250. So, my opinion is that driving it hard every once in a while is fine and the car was built to handle high revving hard driving. I suggest your father find somewhere to really open her up- S6, DSC off (or whatever setting is similar in the 6 speed) and stand on the pedal. He will only then know the true thrill of owning this car and what its capabilities are.
I ALWAYS 'Tiff Needell' the throttle on high rpm shifts. That banging when you don't lift is not normal and can't imagine what it's doing to the driveline or guts of the trans.

Tiff Needell throttle - go to 3:01 YouTube - BMW M5 (E60) Tested by Tiff Needell (Fifth Gear)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Your dad can rev it to 8250 no problem.

The S85 is designed to rev. If you notice, his tach has a red secton and a yellow section. The yellow means no prolonged use with-in this zone (so don't cruise in 2nd gear at 8000RPM), and the red zone should never be entered. However, he can go through the gears all day revving it to 8250 no problem at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts