BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
As a short period owner ,, my experience started as a total restore,,
after that,, i noticed how ,, much more fun it is to drive a M5 as a daily driver rather than the BT,, the ,, snap snap,, on the throttle the sound on high rev

THE MUCH MORE precise steering on the M5 vs BT :eek: and stiffer suspencion
((i have BILSTEIN sport ,, not oem ))

verdic, M5 is a more entertaining car ,, BT is a BRUTAL straight forward miisile

·
Registered
122 Posts
My experiences with my M5 are short lived as I have only owned my car for about a month.
I have owned unique and rare cars before and although enjoyed them have been well aware how much damage they have done to my bank account / social life. I had really decided I had grown out of this stage of my life and I was sticking to cars that are a bit more run of the mill to own. Unfortunately for my bank manager this M5 happened to be around at the same time I had some wedge in my pocket and a life long ambition had to be realised.

In my 1st few weeks I have been taking it steady, getting used the car, getting her up on the ramps checking her out etc. Initially I wasnt too impressed with the feel of the big bus. I had come from a fairly well set up coilover equipped 328i sport and the e34 just was doing it for me comparitively.
Anyway last week there was a SW meet near Salisbury, about an hour and a half from me. The road from me house to this is a 50/50 combo of interesting sweeping A roads and then the A303 with its dual carriagways and fast single lane roads. I set off at 09.30 on a glorious Sunday morning and was greeted by quiet roads. I had got almost half hour up the road before I opened up the taps.
All of a sudden the M5 started to make sense, the sheer power of this thing is impressive but its poor awkward feeling completing low speed manouveres was replaced with a reassuring surefootedness when the corners were faster and flowing. I was genuinely shocked at how fast it negoitiated its way through these roads and often had to double take at the speedo and reign myself in to more sensible speeds. When I moved onto the a303 I met up with some of the other BMW owners heading towards the same meet. Opening up the taps on long stretches of quiet dual carriagway and leaving them back in the distance was awesome fun too.

Like I said I havent had her long enough for ring trips or Spa stories but this sunday transformed my M5 from an expensive piece of power to a highly accomplished piece of engineering in my mind.

I have to sell the car due to other commitments but that Sunday finished with me sat at home doing sums and some head scratching working out how I could afford to keep it.:crying2:

·
Registered
588 Posts
All of a sudden the M5 started to make sense, the sheer power of this thing is impressive but its poor awkward feeling completing low speed manouveres was replaced with a reassuring surefootedness when the corners were faster and flowing. I was genuinely shocked ....
There are moments of clarity owning an E34 M when things are just so transparent, so pure, it is a triple filtered distillation of the all things that most give you pleasure at the wheel of a car. I have never driven anything like it, but imagine it must be what gets people hooked on Porsches - the combination of engineering integrity and intense driving purpose that even expensive two seaters cannot always reproduce. If you just trundle down the motorway or let rip from the lights now and then you can never find it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've gotta say, the best drive I've had in the M was the first...not that there haven't been many great ones since, but the first really set the tone for what was to come. The wife and I boarded a plane at 5:30am in Baltimore to fly to the midwest to pick up the 18 year old car that I had bought with out so much as a test drive on ebay. I had emailed the PO and spoken on the phone, and he seemed like an honest man. The maintenance history was right, and when asked if I should bring the phone # of a tow truck incase the worst happened he said there was no need. We met, exchanged title for $$$, and around 3pm the return trip began. We drove till midnight that evening, finally stopping at a hotel just outside Indy speedway. I had covered 700 miles of "getting to know you" style driving, and the wife, my backside, and my eyes had had enough. We arose early the next morning, made a short stop and the Speedway to see the motorsport history museum, and then set off for home. I took it easy till we reached the mountains near western Pennsylvania (familiar to us because the wife attended law school near by). As we ascended I slowly let the speeds creep up. At one point, everything was flowing just perfectly and I realized I had a sh!teating grin on my face. A quick glance down at the speedo showed that we were cruising at a nice comfortable 120mph...wait a sec, that can't be right! Worried that the wife would notice, I checked on her only to see that she was fast asleep. Time to let it out. I rolled into the throttle and held it...130...140...145...blew the doors off a STI full of young punks. They tried to keep up, wringing the flat 4 for all it had, but had nothing. Eventually they started making truly stupid maneuvers in attempt to keep pace. I figured that before someone got hurt or I woke the wife I'd better pull off for some fuel. Five hours and 350 miles later we were home. Neither of us could believe the way this thing covered the distance. This is what the car was truly meant for...crossing continents in style and luxury, and doing so very quickly. We weren't overly sore as we should have been following a pretty much straight 1600 mile journey, the car felt (and still does) completely at home at speeds doubling the posted limit, and the look of the car in the lot filled with modern half-sucked-on-lozenge shaped sedans was breath taking. 10,000 miles on I still cant believe that BMW got it so right back in '91, and I can't understand why anyone would want a newer car when this is so clearly engineering perfection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is mine (with bad english sorry)

My girlfriend went for a long weekend to Balaton Lake in Hungary (which is approx 120 kms from Budapest where we live). The deal was that on saturday morning i follow her, but i cant wait so i start my trip in the early morning at 4am. Empty highway... hmm what a feeling :). After everything is warmed up in the car i started to push it hard and enjoy the sound the speed the stability and the whole car. I reached 200-230 depended on traffic. At the half of the way i gained on an AUDI A6 3.0 tdi 2011 version. I waited to let me pass him, but he didnt. I flashed my lights to sign him that i want to go faster so he tried to escape from me. 140,150,160,170 and i was till on his tail, but he didnt pull over so i decided to overtake him from the right side. After that happened he started to chase me. When i pulled over to refuel my car in a gas station he parked exactly next to me and jumped out of the car and asked me:
- Excuse me but what the **** was that ? What kind of car do you have ? I cant belive that i bought my Audi 3 month ago brand new and i thought it is fast enough to beat the 80% of the cars and never imagined that an old car like yours could be that much faster. Is it turbocharged or highly tuned?
MY answer:
- No its only an M5
- M5 ??? at that age BMW had M5?
- Yes ! It is a bone stock M5. - i answered.
After that i opened the hood and showed him the engine. He loved it. He told me that he thought there is something wrong with his car when i overtaked him at 170km/h from the right line.
Then i continued my way in normal speeds and arrived to my target. I cant describe the feeling when i saw his face at the gas station it was something like proudness or i dont know... but i loved it !

So that was my best experinece till now with my M5.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts