BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This year I will have owned my LHD E34 M5 3.8 for 12 years and 130,000 miles, that's a car record ownership for me and a testiment I feel of just how dynamic these cars are.

When I think of all the treasured memorys of various journeys the one that stands out for me (amongst many) has to be the journey I made from Munich back to the UK.

It was an impetuous decision at 8pm that I decided to start the journey right there and then instead of waiting until the morning. It had been a hot day in June and suddenly the temperature had cooled the light was good. I packed my bags and hit the road.

This was in 2001 and memory may be a bit thin but once on the motorway north out of Munich I made Nuremburg (not Nurburg) in 1 hour a distance of 130 miles. When darkness fell it became a bit of a slog mostly because it rained and the Pre HID lights were dismal.

By 3 am I'd reached Aachen and stopped for a shut eye - it was dark and cold so when the early morning light filtered through about an hour or so later I was sparked up to make the final dash through Belgium.

The run through Belgium was the moment - empty roads, a beautiful dawn and the design of the M engineers suddenly made perfect sense here was a car responsive yet totally stable as it powered through to the ferry. It is better not to state speeds experienced as it matters little.

The experience was one of total satisfaction at being able to be at one with oneself, nature and machiney when each made perfect sense. Just before crossing into France the scent of the early morning damp hay, the freedom and enjoyment of the car was just one of those times.

After the ferry and the drive through from Dover to Hertfordshire was again a joy because the roads were empty and one could take libertys on empty roads such a rare experience. I arrived home at 8am and still the populous were deep in sleep and it was surreal to realise that just 12 hours earlier I had been in Munich give or take the European hours difference.

This was a high which in truth cannot be described for I felt great without any aches or pains and the car ran like a dream and it delivered time and time again to any input I requested whether to brake hard to allow a lumbering lorry who in front decided to overtake or the ambitious Omega 3 litre who tried in vain to give me some competition - what a car to deliver this experience.

What about yours lets hear!

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Hi Richard , every now and then somebody starts a thread that is so beautifully constructed and articulated , that it is sure to be a classic , initiating some powerful , emotive , writing !

I will be sharing some of my most memorable driving experiences in due course , but wish to devote my full , untired , energy to the thread and will hold back for now .

Thanks for providing an opportunity to rekindle some wonderful memories !

D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Richard I feel your passion….I’m there with you as a “long termer” these days.
I’m on ten years and a much more gentle 50’000 miles of pure pleasure.

These days every journey in the E34 is a pleasure….she’s starting to become
A rarer sight on our roads…sitting inside, the purity of the dash & interior is
A pleasure in itself. Then theres the drive itself, analogue in every way…pure.

I guess looking back at the “special” drives I’ve had in the M5 (and there have been
Plenty….) I definitely agree the day I collected the car stands out as one of the best.

I don’t spend as much time as I’d like to in the company of my Dad these days but
It was a suprise back then for him to say “I’ll come with you” on the trip to Devon
To collect the car.
We had a fantastic 3 hour drive home, the odd challenger was laid to waste
and if I think about It….
I probably spent more time with my Dad that day then at any time since….
And that alone is reason for it to be special !

Since then its been some magical holidays in the M5, driving on great roads,
Some epic races (and of course victories).
A few extremely memorable track days (remember Hethel ? ! ):M5rev:
Clocking hot laps at the autodrome (2.48 ! ):checkeredflag:

Plus a couple of fabulous drives to the Nurburgring….driving on REAL roads.:noSMG:

Long may it all continue for us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan.
:cheers:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alan - I remember Hethel very well - if one wanted to see the left side and right side of an M5 in quick succession yours was the car to be following! classic stuff...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can think of two in the last 7 years - the first a little like Alan's - when me and Dad took his M5 on a road trip to Bristol - didn't know at the time I would be inheiriting it 2 weeks later....

second for driving pleasure was a run from Stoke to Padstow during the world cup 2006 - England were playing the Czech republic (Ithink) roads were deserted - listened to the match on the radio and averaged a little over 100 for the whole journey IIRC.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Mine was def the 1st trip to the ring in 2002/3

For weeks before a couple of friends were harping on about my "old mans car" and when i wasnt driving on the e42 in france and we all never went for it on a long long straight and the look on my friends face when we werent doing 150mph and i pulled beside him and waved and never carried on til 170mph. the look on his face was pure gold. Also the fact that on the ring while 4 up and he was 2 up i still managed to put an easy pass on him pull away so far he slowed up and said he had a misfire. Apols they both had 2000 Subaru wrx's

Some moments just stick:wroom::wroom:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had many wonderful drives in the M5, but one that particularly stands out was an early morning blast down to Cornwall 2 years ago in spring. I had to do some work in Truro at the weekend, starting at 07.30hr on the Saturday. Although I planned to go down from Somerset the night before, I was too knackered after work. I decided to get up early on the Saturday morning and drive down at the crack of dawn. There was a beautiful sunrise, wonderfully crisp air with wisps of light mist. The route was smooth ribbons of Tarmac, cutting through the green hills of Devon and then Cornwall. The roads were deserted, silent apart from the frenzied howl of a straight six! Then I remember sitting quietly in the hospital car park, having arrived hours too early, the car's paintwork gleaming in the early morning sun, the only noise being ticking from the hot exhaust as it cooled. And me reflecting on how exhilarating and addictive the drive had been. An absolutely brilliant memory.

Great until return journey home on the Sunday that was the usual congested crawl up the A39. All the time in the world to see a speed camera pointing the way I had come the day before at supersonic speed. (Luckily it was not loaded, but if it had been, it would have been worth it!)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had a 'spirited' drive along the supposedly treacherous Skipton to Harrogate A59 just last week - it's been a fantastic drive since I moved to Yorkshire about 8 years ago and I've had many a memorable drive along it in a company-car Scooby WRX (quick), a TVR Griffith 500 (quicker), an E24 M6 (smooth and quick) and a Prodrive Scooby WRX (almost TVR quick :wow:) but last week whilst running a little late a little motorbike (actually quite a large engined motorbike) appeared in my rear-view mirror as I chased the ribbon of road from Addingham down to the Bolton Bridge roundabout.

I deduced from his road position, demeanour and general speed that he was going to be pressing on as well and as I exited towards Harrogate on a delightfully dry and clear morning I decided to see how late he was - I easily despatched three cars and a full HGV/trailor before the end of the bridge (and the start of the well Policed 50mph uphill section) and was amused to find he didn't quite have the nerve or speed to stay with me :hihi:

Half way through the 50 section he drew level with me and deliberately looking across at me he obviously wanted a little spar but I wasn't taking the bait in a recognised speed limit and he took off on his own :nono:

A minute later I left the 50 and entered the National speed limit and once again took up the pace and soon caught up with the bike - there then fully commenced the spirited drive wherein he obviously was using full throttle (I think - as his exhaust was red and popping with the unburnt fuel) as he tried to elude me - up into the Yorkshire Dales National Park we went and as we descended from the flats of the Dales into the twistys of Blubberhouses he must have felt very embarrassed as once again a sure-footed powerful car showed a tentative Motorcyclist that four wheels is far quicker through a series of bends :M5thumbs:

Passing between the Swinsty and Fewston resovoirs and with a 16 year old estate car shockingly close in his mirrors he lost his nerve and concentration as he failed to easily pass a few cars and held us both up rising up to the Menwith Hill listening station - after collecting himself and a whole load of trucks in front of us he decided to ignore a few double white lines and excused himself from my presence hiha

It was a great display from my old car which has gone from strength to strength since I bought it and proved itself completely versatile as it's carted myself a baby, a wife, two dogs and endless other stuff around the place with not a murmer of discontent :applause:

I'm off to Harrogate again tomorrow - I wonder if the biker is - I wonder if he'll show just a little respect this time :blink:

Sharkfan

1993 M5 Touring - over 230k km's on the clock :byebye:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raymond

What a kaleidescope of M5 ownership!

I love the first picture with the cooling fins but I guess they are a real pain to keep clean! The pictures from inside the car show it to be in fabulous condition - also the picture with the E28 - are we not fortunate to enjoy such machines...

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictorial progress with the E28.

Richard

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
There have been a couple of moments which for me, anyway, were just magic. One, a couple of years ago, when I was driving home from Portsmouth after a powerboat race. I was ambling back around 95 mph on the motorway when it struck me just how right the car felt. So in control, so smooth, and so confident. It was made for just this. This stuck with me because it so described what the car was all about for me.

The other particular occasion was during my first trip to the Ring. It was perhaps my third lap and I was going around Wehrseifen with a Porsche trying to overtake. I pulled over to the right but kept my foot down, the car went round like it was on rails and the Porsche could make no impact. It literally took my breath away as I thought "this car was made to do this and it's doing it!".

The car continues to amaze but those are two of the occasions that really made it worth the expense of running a beast like mine.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
2,941 Posts
I love the first picture with the cooling fins but I guess they are a real pain to keep clean!
Hehe; the throwing starts were prefered by many as it gave the E34 a younger and fresher appeal. Nowadays, the turbines are prefered as they give the E34S a classic appeal.

I kept the four turbines and wanted to reinstall them for that reason in 2007, but being the perfectionist that I had them blasted before powdercoating. During that process, the turbines were destroyed and I am looking for replacements since then.

The pictures from inside the car show it to be in fabulous condition - also the picture with the E28 - are we not fortunate to enjoy such machines...
yes we are indeed

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictorial progress with the E28.
The engine is awaiting further disassembly at the machine shop, which is planned for this week. I plan to make some pictures and add them to my report. Furthermore, I have removed the engine subframe to have it blasted, galvanized and powder coated and am awaiting its return.

For the rest, there is not much news to report, also not because I have had higher priorities in the past eight weeks during which work on the E28S was suspended.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Great thread!!!

I have had many good drives with my car. I think more or less I have never had a dull drive after climbing in the cockpit of the car.

I think my best was the first time, currently only time, when I went to the Ring.

We were staying about 25k away from the ring and driving to the Ring it was clear and road was nice on the way. We got to the Ring and radio'd each other that we are going to just go straight on for a early morning run, due to the cars were nice and warm. Put the ticket in the toll, then set off.. Went along the first part of the straight up to the Grand Prix circuit where you turn right and on doing so there was another BMW warming up there tyres, to the right of me a E46 CSL, both of us being unsure of this other driver we went around him, I went right and the CSL went Left.

From that moment onwards it was the best time of the life, even the quicker lap time I did later on in the Day doesn't stay in my mind like this good fun with a CSL. I gunned it and so did the CSL tucking behind due to being unsure of the other car. For half a lap I was in front with a big grin on my face, later on, on the more twister parts the track he went past, but that didn't wipe the smile off my face. The the hole lap it was just him and me until later on where it was just me on my own with nothing else in front or behind. I finished the lap alittle way behind the CSL but it didn't matter I had just had the best lap of my life.

To me thats what these cars are about, the grin factor and the fact I was at a mecca for me and others just driving at my own pace and having a ball doing it!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great thread!

First if I may the worst journeys:
The three times my M5's have gone home under the AA's power. :sad3:
The end of any journey no matter how long, because now I have to turn her off :crying:

A few of the great moments:

Turning the entire M40 into a blip of a bypass coming home from London after professional exams. Most of my colleagues took the train from fatigue, but the M5 was like Concorde and I got home feeling fresh and invigorated.

150 + in Germany with two bikes (one on the back seat, t'other in boot) and a load of camping gear. Arriving at the most beautiful lakeside campsite. Realising that we had cruised the 7km to the service station in under two minutes without even trying. Travelling over 800 miles in a day from Southern Germany and feeling like I could turn around and do it again.

A day trip to Paris for lunch with my mum and bro - epic long distance comfort and a 450 mile range.

The glee on my mother's face at double the UK limit!!

I love the feeling that the car as always with you, always helping you, even with the tail moving at 70 mph in the wet dark on a narrow laned dual carriageway. I'd pick an M5 over anything else in bad weather. It's the most stimulating machine to drive, but somehow it doesn't tire you or frighten you, just sucks you in and does its just to obey your every command. How can you not love a car like that? I have never driven anything else so personal or faithful. She's going to cover 2000 miles this month, none of them boring, and next week she'll be ferrying a 36-weeks-pregnant nurse and a crate of champagne to Brussels. :M5launch::M5thumbs:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Great thread indeed !

I agree with the statement that there's never a dull moment when behind the wheel of the M5. Mine's a weekend toy so maybe thats why I feel the way I do about it.

The only other car I've had that comes close was my Porsche 914-6. What a car,but just lacked the amenities and balance of what I consider a keeper.

I've only had my M5 a year, but its amazing how enchanting it is .

My favorite driving moment ...hmm I'd have to say it was the first time I went WOT from 3rd to 2nd gear on a 40 mph roll. The car just lept like a bull breaking the gates at a Western Rodeo show, within seconds I was over 100, the M was just getting planted, as if ready for the full kill.

At that moment I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this car is truly special.

I don't consider myself its owner, more like its caretaker.
:M5thumbs:

Here he is getting an M Par test fit.....

Another one after its detail....

·
Registered
125 Posts
There have been loads but a few that stick in the memory are:

1. The very first drive home in her about 8 years ago - the 42 miles back took me nearly three and a half hours (the scenic route).:biggrin:

2. On a roadtrip back from the Rockies (Alberta, I worked and lived in Canada for 2 years 05-07 and was fortunate enough to take the car). Heading South between Calgary and Medicine Hat on the Trans-Canada highway. Coming in the other direction on the opposite carriageway was an RCMP Crown Victoria Interceptor, I was well within the 110kmh limit but as we passed he was staring across, I kept an eye on the rear view mirror and sure enough I saw him cross the median (grass centre of the highway - there is no armco barrier) and give chase. He caught up and pulled level and looked across, then it dawned on me why he wanted to take a look. My 5 year old son was sat on a booster seat in the front, the front left hand seat - he thought that my boy was driving, he looked across and then saw me (RHD cars in Canada are very rare) and then stepped on his brakes. Needless to say he didn't pull me over.hiha

3. Once when I wasn't even in the car - My wife (who never normally goes above 130Kmh) following me at 220 and watching her curse.:wroom:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts