BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm jumping in Yoda right now, to go look at not one but 2 M3 CSL's.

One is Brand New, the last one left in Australia. We got 25 of them.

Both are Silver Grey. The other has 4,000 Km put on it by the dealer principal. It will be sold as First time rego.

The New one is $210K AUD. The other is $198K.

It will run head to head with Yoda. If it beats Yoda, then I think they will make a sale. :wroom:

Just chat amonst yourselfs a bit, I'll be back in around 3 hours. :cheers:

Oh, Should I do it? Any fors and againsts?

Regards MJ.

·
Registered
35 Posts
$12k on a $200k car isn't much. Get the new one. On a car like this, I wouldn't want 4000km of use from someone who had no intentions of owning it :eek:

Oh yeah, have fun :M5launch: :byebye:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We expect a full report when you return. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm Back. :haha:

Where to start. Looks.

Photos do not do this machine justice. This is an absoloutely stunning Looking motor vehicle.

No need for these looks to grow on you, it is Love at first sight. 10/10 for looks.

Sound. OMG. This thing sounds like nothing else on the planet. This car is not only in YOUR FACE, its in everyone elses face as well. Not for the faint of heart.
Sound 10/10

When this thing blips the throttle for you as it goes down a gear or 2, it gets EVERYONES ATTENTION. :eek:

The Blip whilst downshifting would Put a BAR on a Jelly-fish.

Handling. You drive this thing at 80% of the Beasts handling level, and this thing just yawns and soaks it up, asking the question, I thought you were going to test me.
10/10 for handling.

O.K. Now for the disappointing stuff.

Interior,
Very Poor. Very disappointing. Looks cheap and almost nasty. (I Understand it was done in the light of making it light).
Interior 5/10

Braking was good 9/10

Performance.
In all honesty, I was disappointed. :sad3:
This car is definitly missing at least 2 cylinders, maybe even 4. It is so in your face with the sound, and it is Trying. Thats the best descriptive word I can think of. It is trying extremely hard. But it seems to always be trying.
8/10

Its quick. But it lacks straight line grunt. It seems like you have to keep this thing screaming to have Good Performance.

The Beast is Effortless Performance. Mash the pedal in any gear and you have performance.

The CSL, forget dropping 1 gear you need to drop minimun 2 and if you really want to get moving then you have to drop 3 gears.

I guess it just makes its Power very differently. Which makes it seem like you are thrashing it to get it to perform.

Did I mention how good this thing sounds? :hihi:

All up it is a Great Package.

It needs some serious Motor Mods. If this thing had more Power it would eat everything in its path.

I don't belive this thing has the Power to get anywhere near its steering ability.

It truely is the embodiment of the old BMW philosiphy,

BMW Where the Passengers Scream, long before the tyres do.

MJ

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, The Play station Padels.

Leave them on Play station.

I liked them whilst driving in a straight line. But as soon as I started getting really involved (Read sideways) I actually missed a padel. That was annoying.

The passenger who was cheering me on, screaming HELL YES, said use the shifter.

WOW, now that was enjoyable. Its almost like a manual.

Its a solid little shifter that can be slammed when you are busy steering.

Forget the flimsy padels, this thing was MAD when using the shifter up and down.

I guess there is something to be said about a STICK shift. :hihi:

·
Registered
784 Posts
MIB said:
Oh, The Play station Padels.

Leave them on Play station.

I liked them whilst driving in a straight line. But as soon as I started getting really involved (Read sideways) I actually missed a padel. That was annoying.

The passenger who was cheering me on, screaming HELL YES, said use the shifter.

WOW, now that was enjoyable. Its almost like a manual.

Its a solid little shifter that can be slammed when you are busy steering.

Forget the flimsy padels, this thing was MAD when using the shifter up and down.

I guess there is something to be said about a STICK shift. :hihi:

After all of this....... did you enjoy it enough to bring her home?

Sometime change is good........ it could be fun for a while

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
shadowman said:
After all of this....... did you enjoy it enough to bring her home?

Sometime change is good........ it could be fun for a while

Take care

Shadowman
Hey Bill,

If you were just down the road, I would be tempted to pick it up and drop it off to you.

I'm looking for a great Base vehicle that is worthly of some serious Mods. ;) I have a serious buyer looking at my car.
If he takes it, next week, I will be in need of a replacement.
The big Plus for the CSL is it is there right now for the taking.

There is No E60 M5's in sight to grab. The CSL could be a good stop gap, whilst waiting for the second run of E60 M5's or maybe even a V-8 M3 to appear.

So your M5 is Faster...YES...
Hey M5 Rus,

In all honesty I have to say My M5 IS Faster.

Especially on the highway from 120 Km then floor it.

The M5 Pulls hard and really pushes you in the back. Once you have dropped 2 or 3 gears in the M3 CSL it starts to wind up, but it lacks the sense of urgency.

I'm sure screaming around the track, the handling advantage of the CSL would smoke my car, but not in straight line speed.

The CSL may be quick off the mark, but it doesn't have the Grunt to keep it going.

Although I'm sure with a Few mods this thing would be a Total Weapon. :hihi:

Its a Great all round SPORTS Package, but it needs more Power.

·
Registered
784 Posts
MIB said:
Hey Bill,

If you were just down the road, I would be tempted to pick it up and drop it off to you.

I'm looking for a great Base vehicle that is worthly of some serious Mods. ;) I have a serious buyer looking at my car.
If he takes it, next week, I will be in need of a replacement.
The big Plus for the CSL is it is there right now for the taking.

There is No E60 M5's in sight to grab. The CSL could be a good stop gap, whilst waiting for the second run of E60 M5's or maybe even a V-8 M3 to appear.

Hey M5 Rus,

In all honesty I have to say My M5 IS Faster.

Especially on the highway from 120 Km then floor it.

The M5 Pulls hard and really pushes you in the back. Once you have dropped 2 or 3 gears in the M3 CSL it starts to wind up, but it lacks the sense of urgency.

I'm sure screaming around the track, the handling advantage of the CSL would smoke my car, but not in straight line speed.

The CSL may be quick off the mark, but it doesn't have the Grunt to keep it going.

Although I'm sure with a Few mods this thing would be a Total Weapon. :hihi:

Its a Great all round SPORTS Package, but it needs more Power.

Just a bit "O-Water" between us and then a little road...... no worries mate....

As for the M5 being faster....... yes but I bet the CSL is quicker...... and lord knows I can make her faster...........much

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
shadowman said:
Just a bit "O-Water" between us and then a little road...... no worries mate....

As for the M5 being faster....... yes but I bet the CSL is quicker...... and lord knows I can make her faster...........much

Take care

Shadowman
Hey Bill,

I was wondering, which would be the better platform. to start from?

A standard M3 or The CSL?

I love the Front bar and the CF roof.

But would you be undoing all the CSL Motor bits or adding?

Yes, the Beast may just pull a little on the straight, but then the CSL would nail it under brakes, and then stretch the Gap through the Twisties. :flag:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I do love the way the CSL sounds. There was a drift video floating around some time ago that had a CSL hanging the tail out, and listening to jus the intake note as the driver slid toward the camera and modulated the throttle was breath taking. Great car IMO.
You are right on the power delivery between the S62 and the S54. You dont have to wind the S62 out the way you do in the S54. In straightline performance the cars are extremely close, but in around town driving the S62 just makes it a lot more enjoyable.
Let us know what you do. It would be sad to hear of the departure of Yoda, but Yoda has served you well over time, so switching to something like the CSL would be ok.
Agreed on the paddle shifters. I hate them! With a hugh passion. I would rather use the stubby shifter instead too.
:cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
MIB said:
Hey Bill,

I was wondering, which would be the better platform. to start from?

A standard M3 or The CSL?

I love the Front bar and the CF roof.

But would you be undoing all the CSL Motor bits or adding?

I hate being taunted like this………. I love unique and the CSL falls right into this category……. As for what is added and or removed the basic light weight very unique CSL will always be recognized……..

I think that with only 1 new one available to you …….. that you should make her yours…….place her neatly and securely in a box………. let me get to know her and massage her and then when she comes home you will quickly …..dare I say……….. forget about you beloved M5……

Shadowman

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BmwNut said:
I do love the way the CSL sounds. There was a drift video floating around some time ago that had a CSL hanging the tail out, and listening to jus the intake note as the driver slid toward the camera and modulated the throttle was breath taking. Great car IMO.
You are right on the power delivery between the S62 and the S54. You dont have to wind the S62 out the way you do in the S54. In straightline performance the cars are extremely close, but in around town driving the S62 just makes it a lot more enjoyable.
Let us know what you do. It would be sad to hear of the departure of Yoda, but Yoda has served you well over time, so switching to something like the CSL would be ok.
Agreed on the paddle shifters. I hate them! With a hugh passion. I would rather use the stubby shifter instead too.
:cheers:
Hey Bren,

It wouldn't take much to make the CSL the far superior car.

And I do tend to MOD occassionally. :1:

The sound is really in your face. But I would like the Power to back up the sound.

The CSL has huge potential. Its Quick. But being a real Sports Car, I guess I expected it to be noticably faster than Yoda. I was only a little disappointed with acceleration. Everything else was ALL GOOD.

With another 50 Ponies it would be smoking most things.

The Thing I would want it to be faster than is the New Beast. 507 HP is going to be hard to run with.

It has the handling and the agility, but it needs more ponies. cherrsagai

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shadowman said:
I hate being taunted like this……….

. let me get to know her and massage her and then when she comes home you will quickly …..dare I say……….. forget about you beloved M5……

Shadowman
Now who is Taunting Whom? hiha cherrsagai

·
Registered
784 Posts
MIB said:
Now who is Taunting Whom? hiha cherrsagai

Hummm….. interesting question……..

According to www.APL.com there is a ship with just enough space for your new CSL.......

Now back to your original question........ M3 or CSL ..... both have some cool things that can be done ...... however I still hold firm on the fact that the CSL will always be the "BAD BOY"......... quick, agile, and once she arrives here and I have an opportunity to massage her.......I dare say...... very "FAST" too.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have driven one two and I agree. A lot of noise and good mouth guard so you dont bite your tongue in second.

But its a focused effort and in my opinion a tough daily driver. We shoild have lunch soon!

Dallas

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
M5DAL said:
I have driven one two and I agree. A lot of noise and good mouth guard so you dont bite your tongue in second.

But its a focused effort and in my opinion a tough daily driver. We shoild have lunch soon!

Dallas
Hey Dallas,

I was speaking to Storeageking the other day. He said to say g'day.

You had best get in quick to see Yoda. Chunky aka Stuart Carr, is picking up a Beast in Sydney, so I was going to fly down and meet with him, and we were going to drive it back to Brisbane for a couple of Quick Mods.

Then he is back to Cairns.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I definately found that the M3s including the CSL has a small powerband when I drove them. At very high revs, means when you do push it it sounds like all hell breaks loose and I like the high pitched whine of the flat 6 engine.

M5 is more of a... well beast. Power all the time and has the roar of a V8.

Personally for the good ol sideways driving the M3 is a much better car, M5 is more of a brute with great handling considering the size.

- Kin

1 - 20 of 63 Posts