BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had the UUC SSK, DSSR selector rod, and black UUC tranny mounts installed. The shifter itself is a completely different feel than stock (which i actually didn't mind) especially the shift from neutral to 2nd or 4th the throw is so short its almost like barely moving the shifter at all, but you know you're in gear with the notchiness. Feels quite racy, i'm happy with the upgrade. Transmission of vibration through the shifter is minimal and absolutely not a problem.

A big change overall that i do NOT like is an engine vibration at several points in the rpm range. When accelerating slowly in 2nd gear, or just revving the engine slowly with the car in neutral with clutch in or out i experience a loud (to my standard) and definitely annoying engine vibration that i can feel in the seat and throughout the cabin at about 1800rpms and again at around 3200 rpms. This vibration is not transmitted through the shifter itself, leading me to suspect the cause is the transmission mounts.

I realize this is something I may get used to, but i don't track my car and value its luxury as well as its performance, so i might at some point end up trying to switch back to the stock tranny mounts. I guess it was silly to install them anyhow since i haven't really had a problem missing shifts with my street driving.

BTW my doorjams are still squeaking all day long, any fixes?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you leave the shifter height the same as factory?

How does the shifting effort compare to the factory shifter?

I've been thinking about this change as well, but as you , I don't really have a problem with the original one other than the throws seem a bit on the long side.

If it has a more precise feel without requiring an annoying amount of effort I just might try this, less the tranny mounts to start. I also would not appreciate any added vibration.

I've checked out the design and it certainly seems to be the best of the bunch technically.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't specify a shift height, its somewhat shorter but not radically so, though the throws do feel alot shorter. The effort increase is very mild and not at all annoying, i'd guess only a grandma would complain when getting into reverse.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok , I feel safe in saying I dont believe I'm a gramma yet, however , I did turn 50 on the 11th and my smartass lawer friend gave me a cane made from a walrus penis. Not sure whats going to happen if I ever have need for a cane.

Sounds like this is an alteration I will have to do. I like the idea of a shifter that has that "snick snick" feel to it.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Brother Methias said:
Yesterday I had the UUC SSK, DSSR selector rod, and black UUC tranny mounts installed. The shifter itself is a completely different feel than stock (which i actually didn't mind) especially the shift from neutral to 2nd or 4th the throw is so short its almost like barely moving the shifter at all, but you know you're in gear with the notchiness. Feels quite racy, i'm happy with the upgrade. Transmission of vibration through the shifter is minimal and absolutely not a problem.

A big change overall that i do NOT like is an engine vibration at several points in the rpm range. When accelerating slowly in 2nd gear, or just revving the engine slowly with the car in neutral with clutch in or out i experience a loud (to my standard) and definitely annoying engine vibration that i can feel in the seat and throughout the cabin at about 1800rpms and again at around 3200 rpms. This vibration is not transmitted through the shifter itself, leading me to suspect the cause is the transmission mounts.

I realize this is something I may get used to, but i don't track my car and value its luxury as well as its performance, so i might at some point end up trying to switch back to the stock tranny mounts. I guess it was silly to install them anyhow since i haven't really had a problem missing shifts with my street driving.

BTW my doorjams are still squeaking all day long, any fixes?

Congradulations.....very nice modificaions......one questons...... did you installed the aluminum cups on the black transmission mounts???????

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
237 Posts
did you installed the aluminum cups on the black transmission mounts???????
Hmmm. Why do you ask? I have a UUC SSK/DSSR combo in the box waiting to be installed with the black tranny mounts and enforcers (aluminum cups)...do you advise against using the enforcers if I don't want an increase in vibration?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
well every set you take is going to transmit more vibration and noise into the cabin...

in my m5 currently i have just the blacks, although i might have throw in some TME cups when she gets back...

I want to feel that power in my hand!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
The TMEs have been over-torqued, or the transmission brace/TME assembly was pre-loaded. You should not have additional vibration.

This is an installation error. Go back to your installer and have him review the installation instructions.

·
Registered
784 Posts
buymenow00 said:
Hmmm. Why do you ask? I have a UUC SSK/DSSR combo in the box waiting to be installed with the black tranny mounts and enforcers (aluminum cups)...do you advise against using the enforcers if I don't want an increase in vibration?

I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner however Rob addressed my question and then and then addressed the potential installation concern.

I do in fact advise and install them however as Rob shared proper installation is key to successful results. No pre-load with the bushings.....meaning have everything installed and properly lined up with NO pressure and then secure the nuts at the transmission and the cross member.

Snug is the word of the day.....do no NOT over tighten or torque the nuts or transmitted vibration is probable.

Installed properly they will work perfectly and afford wonderful results as well as great piece of mind.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I think the pre-loading "error" that Rob describes is very easy to make. It would probably cause the cup to contact the bushing under light load or even no load situations. Pre-loading would basically defeat the bushing's function and transmit vibration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts