BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You made the best decision to pull the engine to fix it. Its going to cost you but worth it in the end.

Since you are getting new rings installed, you should really have the bores machined for the new rings.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I am having second thoughts on the new rings and removal of head... i have okay compression (115 -125psi -ish) so i thought it wouldnt be a big deal to replace rings to get a little more compression but it turns out the alusil block requires special equipment and procedure to hone in new rings... so i think i will skip that because it will be too problematic to get that done properly.
this weekend i will be putting my oil pan back on and subframe then towing it to one of the local mechanics who has experience with rebuilding engines and working on bmws. very very few mechanics in my area including the stealer are capable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I would have to add 1/2 Liter every 5000kms.
But I did run 5w30 for a bit and I did not have to top up at all. Was exactly the same as when I filled it after the oil change.

10W60 is garbage.

Does it really need the 60? would a 0w50 suffice? the plan is to run 0w50 from now on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does it really need the 60? would a 0w50 suffice? the plan is to run 0w50 from now on.

Go with 5W50? It's also alternative oil in our cars owners manual. There was also note in the manual that if you use your car in cold climates ask for suitable oil from you BMW dealer. I have used that oil for long times and i think couple of other owners use that oil as well:wink But in the end it's up to you which oil you choose and i think you get many different opinions about this matter.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So putting all things aside when it comes to oil comparisons, except for the weight, Does 0W50 not work better in colder climate compared to 5W50? when you can get the exact same oil in both weights, why wouldn't you just take the 0W50 over the 5W50?

I especially had a hard time with my M starting in the cold ( below 15 deg C ), and a few times in freezing temps it sounded and acted like a POS for about 30-60 seconds. The cold start is really nasty in freezing temps on this car.

I never drove it in the winter anyway, but the odd time I fired it up to move it or just to hear the V10 sing that song :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't know much about the oils but i got that recommendation from the guy who worked with BMW S motors quite a lot. So i trusted his opinion. Started this morning -20C and everything went smooth no weird soung etc. :) I have 2x300W oil pan heaters though...

That's for the oil. I hope you get your car running stronger than ever after the repairs!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts