BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my M5 a few months ago and absolutely love it! What a great ride! The oil cap however is a major pain. I have not yet screwed it on improperly seated but from all the posts I have read here, sounds like it is just a matter of time before I do. When the cap is properly screwed on, oil still leaks out .. not enough to make a mess but enough to smell and occasionally enough to blow smoke into the cabin (when not moving). I bought a replacement cap from the dealer ... no help. I'm now considering applying some grease to the oil cap gasket to see if that will block the oil blowout but really hate to have to do that. I haven't found any sure fire solutions for what ought to be an easy fix. Anyone have one or can point me to a thread I might have overlooked? Thanks,

·
10,455 Posts
the oil cap seepage is pretty common. My car does it, but a new cap usually dries it up for a few months. Are you sure you don't have any other leaks? When the car is cool, run your hand along the lower edge of the valve covers, you may have a small leak that's dripping onto the exhaust manifold.
I get a little seepage and oil smell (from outside, not inside), but no smoke.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
Good call, there is oil toward the back of the motor, passenger side. Not much and you can't see it, but I was able to pick it up on my fingers along the back edge of the valve cover. Other side is clean. I assume this should be a simple valve cover gasket replacement job? Anything special I need to know before digging in? Does anyone have the torque specs for this job? Thanks for your help.

·
10,455 Posts
shammy said:
Mike,
Good call, there is oil toward the back of the motor, passenger side. Not much and you can't see it, but I was able to pick it up on my fingers along the back edge of the valve cover. Other side is clean. I assume this should be a simple valve cover gasket replacement job? Anything special I need to know before digging in? Does anyone have the torque specs for this job? Thanks for your help.
Use the 'search' feature of the board inputing valve cover gaskets. Someone has documented it, iirc. When you pick up your gaskets, get a few of the little rubber grommets that go under the bolts, when my dealer did my vc gasket replacement (under warranty) they didn't replace them (they say the usually do not) and i had some seepage. It's handy to get 2 or 3 of them just in case some are hard or cracked.
Mike

·
Registered
767 Posts
shammy said:
Mike,
Unfortunately, changing the value cover gasket is quoted at 5 hours of work. You have to remove a lot to get them out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
May not be the gasket that is leaking....

Many M60/62 & S62 motors have valve cover leaks, the gasket is the first option. In my experience the cause is the powder coating on the valve cover channel, where the gasket locates/seats 'bubbles' up and allows oil to seep past the gasket. Whenever the gasket is replaced scrape a flat blade screwdriver along the channel to remove loose or bubbled paint. Secondly 'bed' the new gasket on a RTV silicone compound (O2 sensor safe). This will prevent re-occurance and un-necessary expense.
Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
369 Posts
M500PMW said:
May not be the gasket that is leaking....

Many M60/62 & S62 motors have valve cover leaks, the gasket is the first option. In my experience the cause is the powder coating on the valve cover channel, where the gasket locates/seats 'bubbles' up and allows oil to seep past the gasket. Whenever the gasket is replaced scrape a flat blade screwdriver along the channel to remove loose or bubbled paint. Secondly 'bed' the new gasket on a RTV silicone compound (O2 sensor safe). This will prevent re-occurance and un-necessary expense.
Regards
Peter.
You know exactly what type of RTV would work?

·
Registered
63 Posts
We use 'Wurth' RTV silicone but many other brands are available, as I mentioned MAKE SURE IT'S O2 SAFE!
Regards
Peter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts