BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the car seems to sit a little lower at one corner, could this have something to do with one of the struts going? Also, there seems to be somewhat of a squeaking noise when I push on that strut mount, moving the car up and down...more than on the other side which remains silent.

Are these signals that the one of the EDCIII struts are letting go?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is it front or rear?

If its the rear it could be either the strut or maybe something relating to the SLS (Self Levelling Suspension)/steering. Maybe it just needs adjusting (KDS) or failure of one of the miriad of pipes or even the sphere's, broken springs, anti roll bar (Sway) links/mounts.

Check what the fluid level is, at the resovoir, this would obviously indicate if there is any fluid loss.

If its the front, it could be top mounts, springs or the strut. If the strut has gone it generally relates to the seals and there would be evidence of fluid, plus a 'sucking' noise if you are able to push the corner up and down. (I can hardly move mine and I way in at 16st.)

Hope that is of some help?

Mtechnik540i said:
If the car seems to sit a little lower at one corner, could this have something to do with one of the struts going? Also, there seems to be somewhat of a squeaking noise when I push on that strut mount, moving the car up and down...more than on the other side which remains silent.

Are these signals that the one of the EDCIII struts are letting go?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi!!
Sounds like a broken spring to me. Quite usual in a heavy car like that, though not expensive at all (I`we had all my springs replaced as two of them were broken) I think they cost around 80eur/spring.

All the best
Sakke

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Would springs something that would break at 130k?

Putting the car on a lift today.

BTW, it's a front right corner.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have just been to the dealer today about Touring Springs and ARB for my car. I was shocked at the price. Expected alot more. £90 for the ARB and £80 for a Spring.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mtechnik540i said:
Would springs something that would break at 130k?

Putting the car on a lift today.

BTW, it's a front right corner.
Hi!!
Yes, springs can break even earlier than so ( I presume its 130k miles?) , My left front was broken at 125k kms.
These are heavy cars, and with the relatively stiff spring rates (M sport chassis)the metal tires with time, of course it`s dependent on mileage but even on the type of use.

All the best
Sakke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts