BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I performed a search prior to making this post.

With that being said, I'm probably going to get the Dinan lowering springs. The ones that give the LEAST amount of drop. I just want to get rid of the gap in the front and even everything out. I don't like lowered cars as I had the H&R springs on my 535i and that sucker bounced like a lowrider.

I have a few questions for you guys with the Dinan springs and would appreciate it if someone could nicely take the time to answer:

1. How much did you pay? I was being quoted $2200 (before 10% discount) at the BMW dealership. Springs cost what they cost, but I think they are charging too much for install. Should I buy the springs and have my local Indie guy install?

2. Ride quality: Do you bounce around a lot? Can you leave it on "sport" suspension setting and still have a decent ride quality on city streets?

3. In other thread, I saw guys that have 10mm spacers in the front and 12mm spacers in the rear. Is this the preferred setup? Why use spacers for?

4. Tire size: Do you guys run stock tires or different sizes when you're lowered? On my 535i with H&R springs, I had the M3 (new M3) rims and had some really thin tires on it.

Basically, I'm just looking for a stock looking setup that kills the front wheel gap. I don't want the car to "stick out" and not interested in 20" bling bling rims. I'm too old for that kinda ****. Been there, done that in my youth.

Thank you,

Mr. Snrub

/excellent.\:viking:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had H&R springs in my Beast, I didn't like the ride, just like you say, it's too bouncy. So I change to Dinan stage 2 setup. The ride quality is almost like stock. You can put it on sport mode and it drive and feels tight. City driving is no problem with Dinan spring. No bouncy.i have stock tires and rims with no spacer, there is 1 inch gap between the tire and fender and the wheel gap is maybe 1 inch also. I have to take a look again. I will post some picture if you like. Overall, the Dinan springs looks like stock with almost no wheel gap. I think it sits just perfect. Not too low not too high. I don't know how much I pay for but Dinan parts are expensive. I hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Dinan springs and I have to say that it performs great. The ride is a tiny bit firmer than stock, but definitely not bouncy. I don't know about other BMW models, but on the M5, Dinan parts are great. I have their exhaust system as well and they produce the right amount of growl compared to stock. I think Dinan parts are for people who wants something extra from their M5, but not too extreme.

If I were 10 years younger, I would have gotten the Eissenman Race exhaust, which sounds awesome from the outside!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
MrSnrub187,
I am glad you posted this thread! I have been reading many threads on different lowering springs for a while, and I could not narrow it down. I was leaning towards the Dinan, but after checking Dinan's Website, I realized it shows 11.5 hours of labor for stage 3 which is what I had in mind! So, I knew it will be some expensive labor involved on top of already expensive part. The other packages have very similar labor within 1 or 2 hours less from PKG 3. the main reason I considered Dinan was my car Warranty! I read in other threads that warranty issues may or may not happen depending on your dealer and/or Service Advisor!
bottom line, I am trying to convince myself to pay, but I have not seen a good comparison picture before and after or accurate measurements of what is the gap before, and what it wold become after on one individual car!
I would also appreciate any more information and hopefully some good pictures!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
1. How much did you pay? I was being quoted $2200 (before 10% discount) at the BMW dealership. Springs cost what they cost, but I think they are charging too much for install. Should I buy the springs and have my local Indie guy install?

2. Ride quality: Do you bounce around a lot? Can you leave it on "sport" suspension setting and still have a decent ride quality on city streets?

3. In other thread, I saw guys that have 10mm spacers in the front and 12mm spacers in the rear. Is this the preferred setup? Why use spacers for?

4. Tire size: Do you guys run stock tires or different sizes when you're lowered? On my 535i with H&R springs, I had the M3 (new M3) rims and had some really thin tires on it.
Mr Snrub-

1. $2200 is ridiculous for a spring install. It should not take more than 4-6 hours book time.

2. I cannot comment on the E60 M5 application, however, Dinan products are known to ride very close to stock quality. You will not experience any negative ride effects with Dinan springs.

3. Spacers are used to push the wheels out so that they are more flush with the fenders. 10mm and 12mm are respective numbers that members have run. However, every car is a bit different. Best way, if you do decide to run spacers, is to measure the gap. If you aren't concerned so much about the aesthetic improvements of spacers, then no need to worry about spacers.

4. On stock wheels you run stock tire size, regardless if you are lowered or not. Some people run a less wide tire than stock if the wheels protrude outside the fenders and/or the car rubs on full load. These are non-concerns for you if you are running stock wheels.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a local indie shop here in So. Cali to quote me roughly $500 for the install (including alignment).

Going to Dinan's website the stage 1 springs run $694.50.

So yeah...will not be having the stealership install these springs. $1500 for an install, only an idiot pays that kind of money. I would do it myself if I had a garage I could use.

I will however be calling the dealership and try to negotiate.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I got a local indie shop here in So. Cali to quote me roughly $500 for the install (including alignment).

That sounds more realistic. Where in SoCal are you located?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dinan Stage II Setup

Here are a few pics of my car. I have the Dinan stage II suspension installed. It's a bit stiffer than the stock suspension, but not too harsh IMO. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts

I will however be calling the dealership and try to negotiate.
I'm not sure how Dinan springs ride, but I had H&R springs and they were super bouncy so I went with KW's. We are in Orange County and $500 is a bit high. We charge $300 with alignment or $250 without alignment. I'll sen you a PM. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the Dinan Stage 2 (springs and sways) as well as the exhaust put on about a month ago. Off the top of my head I don't recall how much I was charged, but it was not cheap - I believe the charged the hours that Dinan states. I can not be happier with the suspension now. Honestly, this is how it should have been done from the factory. The steering is so sharp and precise now. Body roll is all but gone. Ride quality is essentially stock - firmer, but not hard. I used to drive in the normal EDC mode and now I find I am in comfort most of the time. Sport is definately stiff. Put it this way, my wife can't tell a difference. In my opinion, this is a must do mod. I was set on putting spacers on, but frankly after looking at it, I am going to leave it as is. It looks very stock the way it is. Front wheel gap is gone - looks perfect. Rear is not much different. The car sits great.

A couple comments on the exhaust. I love the sound of it. A little louder than stock. No difference in performance. I could live without it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the Dinan Stage 2 (springs and sways) as well as the exhaust put on about a month ago. Off the top of my head I don't recall how much I was charged, but it was not cheap - I believe the charged the hours that Dinan states. I can not be happier with the suspension now. Honestly, this is how it should have been done from the factory. The steering is so sharp and precise now. Body roll is all but gone. Ride quality is essentially stock - firmer, but not hard. I used to drive in the normal EDC mode and now I find I am in comfort most of the time. Sport is definately stiff. Put it this way, my wife can't tell a difference. In my opinion, this is a must do mod. I was set on putting spacers on, but frankly after looking at it, I am going to leave it as is. It looks very stock the way it is. Front wheel gap is gone - looks perfect. Rear is not much different. The car sits great.

A couple comments on the exhaust. I love the sound of it. A little louder than stock. No difference in performance. I could live without it.
Is the dinan exhaust louder at idle or? What's the sound like at idle and WOT? deep rumble or more of a "fart can, honda civic" type sound?

thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
At start up, it is louder - I would say about 50% louder. The rest of the time (idle, normal running, WOT), it is about 20% louder. There is no drone. It does not sound like a fart can by any means. In fact, my first description of it when my SA asked about it was that it sounds Italian. It has a great sound to it. There is not a rumble to it, except when you are decelerating, you get a little rumble then. It does make me wish I had a stick shift to blip the throttle at stop lights. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
MrSnrub187 - got your PM, but since I have not posted 45 times I am not allowed to send PM's. So here is the response - I have just the cans. I have not seen any power gains from it. Dinan says about 5hp, but I thin the software is required for that. I spent enough already that day and have not done the software yet. My wife noticed that it is louder, but has not made any comments since. One of my other car nut buddies said it sounded good, but that's really it other than the service advisor, but he was supposed to say it sounded good! I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MrSnrub187 - got your PM, but since I have not posted 45 times I am not allowed to send PM's. So here is the response - I have just the cans. I have not seen any power gains from it. Dinan says about 5hp, but I thin the software is required for that. I spent enough already that day and have not done the software yet. My wife noticed that it is louder, but has not made any comments since. One of my other car nut buddies said it sounded good, but that's really it other than the service advisor, but he was supposed to say it sounded good! I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks! Can I ask how much you paid for the exhaust and install? Did they have to cut and weld?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time and money - buy Eibach's. Not stiff like H&R springs at all. $300 for the springs, $425 for the labor and $125 for the 4-wheel alignment. Fills the front wheel gap, leaves the back the same and the ride is only 1/2 a step stiffer than stock in all EDC settings. After 700 miles or so you will see a dramatic improvement in the ride quality and the "Normal" EDC setting will feel close to stock again. My M5 with Eibach's is not bouncy/jouncy at all. The handling is much better and the steering is sharper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is a clip of the Dinan, sounds good to me! Is this like yours as far as sound? It is only the mufflers that you replaced? or it is a catback?

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's how it sounds. I got just the cans. They cut and clamped. The clamps look to be very good and there are no leaks. I believe they are furnished by DINAN. I honestly don't recall how much the exhaust and install was. I got the exhaust when DINAN was doing 25% off. Install was not bad if I recall and DINAN's website says 1.6 hours. I would assume I paid $160 for the install.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been running the Dinan Stage 2 suspension setup (springs, rear sway and front roll control) for over 3 years now. I added the Lower Control Arm Monoball upgrade about 18 months ago. I chose not to add the Camber / Caster plates as the install requires a modification to the shock tower (IIRC) and I don't track the car and don't need the extra juice in the alignment . I chose the Dinan setup because the ride height is not too low and the ride / handling compromise is what I was looking for. My install was written up for 8 hours but I was billed for 6-7 from my local indy because it was his first time doing springs on an E60 and he felt it took longer than it should have. The car must also be re-aligned when the springs are install or after they have settled (another debate for another thread).

I had the car in Manhattan for 2 years and now have it in San Francisco with no consequence because of the height. I do not scrape on the big SF hills but try not to pull to far forward in parking spots (it will hit approx. 50% of the time).

I find that EDC normal is the best shock match for the Dinan springs vs. comfort for the stock springs.

As for the wheel / tire questions. There is no reason to change wheels, tires or add spacers because of the springs. Change the wheels if you want the look / weight advantage, change the tire size if you want wider fronts / rears or increase wheel diameter and add spacers if you want the look. The mods (assuming the wheels are made to fit the car) are unrelated. I have run the stock wheels as well as the RAC Monolites which are more aggressively offset with the Dinan springs.

PVUM5, your car looks a bit higher than mine. Have your springs settled yet or were you not on level ground when you took the photos?

I have also given my impressions of the Dinan exhaust in other threads.

Reactions: V10PWR
1 - 20 of 22 Posts