BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just my own Experience from a down to earth perspective not about techy stuff most are used to etc....

Hmmm, i will like to share my experience with the new F10 M5 vs E34 M5. I have been in a very fortunate situation to be driving both Models in detail on a daily basis and its very interesting what i noticed. Firstly to put in to perspective i am a very keen road cyclist and been racing for years and I had a Trek bike build bespoke using Groupset 9 speed Dura Ace 7700 model made in the 90's, it was old quite light and incredibly strong and the feel was sensational, i used it very very hard indeed, now my very new ltd edition LOOK frame with a modern ltd edition Shimano Dura Ace groupie, all carbon etc etc... light fast but lacks the feel of my old soldier that was crude but wow what a group set.

So to the F10.... well a very incredibly well built car, and for a guy who works in the car industry I have to say this car has it all and more. To start with the pace is savage no lie the shifting is fast, the paddles, the steering feels top notch, seats are beautifully made and the head up etc, all nice and the car responds real quick to input for essentially an automatic car, and knocking the gear stick to left again gives more control etc but this is all nothing knew to most here with loads of articles reiterating this!!

But my overall impression is If i was asked to sell my car for one, i won't even think once about selling my car for this car without question.... And trust me i've driven this car and mine simultaneously for a month continuously on varied terrain, my impression is this car is simply too fast that one has to be very careful, i find myself easily creeping into 35 -38 around town without knowing it and lucky for me the head up display reminds me all the time, then i get frustrated because it is just dull really dull for me just does not excite, then the sound wow, i keep having to leave the windows down to hear it cause its just so well... dull, then i decide to open up and then dislike the fact it does not send hairs on the back of my neck up but again i am approaching the limit and then the feel well hmmnn .... Dull, so i slow down and the feel, oh dear this is frustrating, but happy at least it looks nice inside. The gearing is nice but kept getting caught out once i switch to Manual mode by over revving the thing due to the fact the car was so silent unlike my 34 which sounds like a beast even in just gentle mode, it steers well but car is just so big its not funny, so much so kerbed my wheels trying to get through tight restrictions on a few occasions something i've never done before. The car is just Massive. Thing is in a nut shell to enjoy this car one needs to break the law otherwise at all other times its just dull. But don't mind me, this is just me being well!... me, i've loved cars mostly BMW's and Porsches since 5yrs old and not your regular car guy, who is into detailing the car making it look pretty or for the sake of ROI, show off etc, thats just not me at all, hence both mine have names and as a result have their own characters so maybe I'm weird but some will understand what i am saying.

F10 //M5 like my new Shimano Dura- Ace group set with Carbon this and that are efficient built well etc, but lack real feel in same way the gear changes of the car feels and you just feel more of a passenger, there is something about the old stuff thats just not in the new stuff. And my heart rate rises when the revs rise in my 34, so well although done to death i just love the 34, only thing to replace it remains a 964/993C2... Lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
Good reading your viewpoint Josco - however I believe you should have posted this over on the E34 or F10 M5 discussions.
Don't get me wrong........I've always been a fan of the E34 M5, but this post has little, if any, relevance to the E28 M5 forum.

Reactions: Josco010

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was half asleep before the write up, a mistake on my side, just realised this. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts