BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, the beast is in hibernation at the mo, and i am starting her every weekend and warming her up, moving her around a bit, you know how it is. Anyway I started her up one morning only to be greeted by this noise. I doubt it's vanos as it seems to be coming from the rear, secondary air pump? Any help is, as ever, greatly appreciated

Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSU2K9IhSww&feature=email&email=comment_received
embed wouldnt work

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not quite its still there but not as bad

·
Registered
911 Posts
First thought was that lifters making this noise... It doesnt sound like vanos and secondary air pump is right behind the bumber passenger side LHD.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it change with RPM? Sounds like a lifter to me..
yeah it goes up with the rpms, please explain lifter, i am an imbocil when it comes to mechanics!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The lifter is located under the rocker arm in the cylinder head. The rocker arm is what actuates the individual valves in the head. I assume the lifters in the S62 are hydraulic, and sometimes junk gets in them and they dont get the proper oil feed, so what you hear is a "dry" lifter. I would run through the RPMs a bit (gently) and take it for a drive if possible. If it doesnt go away, it needs to be cleaned a re-bled. Others with more BMW experience please chime in.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lifter is located under the rocker arm in the cylinder head. The rocker arm is what actuates the individual valves in the head. I assume the lifters in the S62 are hydraulic, and sometimes junk gets in them and they dont get the proper oil feed, so what you hear is a "dry" lifter. I would run through the RPMs a bit (gently) and take it for a drive if possible. If it doesnt go away, it needs to be cleaned a re-bled. Others with more BMW experience please chime in.
Thanks mate, i've learnt so many thing just by owning this car, im glad my head can understand it all! i cant take it for a drive unfortunately, no tax, ins... :( Is it a big job to do?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Most likely lifters.They are hydraulic on the S62,when the car stands a long time they drain the oil inside and it takes usually a longer drive and full warming up to get rid of the noise...

The lifters are activated by the cams directly,no rocker arms as this is not a vintage engine:grinyes:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most likely lifters.They are hydraulic on the S62,when the car stands a long time they drain the oil inside and it takes usually a longer drive and full warming up to get rid of the noise...

The lifters are activated by the cams directly,no rocker arms as this is not a vintage engine:grinyes:
Mr R thank you! is it a problem if i cannot drive it to get rid of it, will i do any damage?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
until march/april, anything else i should be doing while its not being driven? I dont want anything seizing up or something like that

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Am not a fan of just starting the car now and then up and let it run warm.Is not enough without driving it....Better not to start at all...

Did it all with all my cars,that I did not start them over the winter,hook the battery on a tender.In spring I change the oil,clean the plugs,disconnect the coils and remove the fuel pump fuse,crank then a few times over to prime the oil system,then assemble everything and start and drive them...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like good advice to me! Do you mean like a trickle charger for the battery?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
yep,something like that to keep the battery charged.

If you have the posiblity,put the car on jack stands,remember no handbrake!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
car needs to be moveable, so cant do that, no handbrake is a definate!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Am not a fan of just starting the car now and then up and let it run warm.Is not enough without driving it....Better not to start at all...

Did it all with all my cars,that I did not start them over the winter,hook the battery on a tender.In spring I change the oil,clean the plugs,disconnect the coils and remove the fuel pump fuse,crank then a few times over to prime the oil system,then assemble everything and start and drive them...
That's some great advice! As many put their M5's (and other toys) away for winters, this should really be standard procedure when the beasts is again let out. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
bleed th lifters and see if the noise goes away. with the engine at operating temp hold the rpms between 2500-3000 for 3min, stop let idle and see if the noise is gone. if the noise is still there repeat the procedure.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bleed th lifters and see if the noise goes away. with the engine at operating temp hold the rpms between 2500-3000 for 3min, stop let idle and see if the noise is gone. if the noise is still there repeat the procedure.
Is that the procedure for bleeding the lifters or is that what do to after bleeding the lifters? Sorry for asking so many questions!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts